Coming Out

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Skaterswaltz

Coming Out

Post by Skaterswaltz »

Almost a week ago I mentioned to my daughter that I enjoyed wearing skirts, and that I sometimes go out and about in them.

Her response has been absolutely fabulous and supportive in the extreme. She is 17 years old. Today we went shopping and I hit bullseye with two more purchases and small boots, that go better with skirts than my male footwear. Her older sister is as supportive and encouraging. Needless to say, I feel great. I've been totally skirted for the past week.

I don't know why I chose now. Things haven't been that great at home, worse around the world with the pandemic, so for sure it was a good time to add some color to life, quite literally.

I appreciate I'm lucky, with the support and the community where I live being very laissez-faire generally. Not going back has been more easily facilitated by remarks. Mothers, single women and men, a young couple I met in a thrift shop last week made me tingle. It's great fun. I never had this wearing jeans and a T shirt (didn't have the freedom, on so many levels, either).

As for negativity, it's easy. No comments here, but stares by some have pleased me as I'm getting up the noses of people I probably wouldn't like. I enjoy that from time to time. Maybe more enjoyment thus in the years ahead now. And it's true what the many posters in The Cafe have said: the more we see it as normal, the quicker that normal will be. And a very fun new normal.
Uncle Al

Re: Coming Out

Post by Uncle Al »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

Well done!

I have two daughters, ages 18 & 17, and they are fully supportive of me. They actually help me make good fashion choices! We are truly blessed to have Gen Z daughters :D
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

Indeed we are lucky. Thanks.

In fact, this will now be my first summer, when I look at a woman in a skirt or dress on a hot day, and will not be thinking, "You lucky so-and-so", as I'll be flowing with the breezes too.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bravissimo!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Skater
I have a daughter of my own now aged 28 and it is only in the past year or so that her attitude toward my skirts has begun to soften,
My best regards to your young lady and you!
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pretty darn cool, skater! Good for you!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.