NY Daily News article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

NY Daily News article

Post by photoguy207 »

Just came across this in my suggested stories to read:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ ... utType=amp
Uncle Al

Re: NY Daily News article

Post by Uncle Al »

The article is an enjoyable read :!:
Granted, some of the designs are not for me ;)
but I like the concept the 'newer' designers are putting forth.
Even our 'Mark-as-in-Mark' was included in the article :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Yes, good article. I hope there is some momentum to all of these and not just a passing fad/trend.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Oh well, my fault for living in Europe, can't access the site.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I get the following message:

"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism." in nice big friendly letters.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I'll never understand internet censorship.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 pmI'll never understand internet censorship.
This is down to US companies not being willing to comply with EU privacy law.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am
Coder wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 pmI'll never understand internet censorship.
This is down to US companies not being willing to comply with EU privacy law.
This was a stupid comment by me - although the reason for my comment is that I tend to equate government mandates/regulations on the internet with censorship of one kind or another. I just miss the days when the web was innocent, before Facebook, and when it was all random weird stuff and personal interest sites. Nowadays, it's all about influencers and selling products (things like GDPR are trying to help with privacy when it comes to tracking/etc...). I'm just skeptical anytime gov't gets involved in things, and frankly, businesses will find a way around it.

As for this article - too bad there isn't a way to encourage more men to give skirts a try during COVID. I'm not on social media, and even so wouldn't have the influence that someone like Mark does (ignore my previous comment lamenting the modern internet). But something like a "Skirt Challenge" or "Why not buy a skirt on Amazon if you have Prime? Free returns and you can see what all the fuss is about".
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:47 pm Yes, good article. I hope there is some momentum to all of these and not just a passing fad/trend.
Only time will tell on that front. I enjoyed reading that piece as well, and seeing a picture of Mark Bryan was a definite plus!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Being a European myself, I can't see the article either but skirt purchasing on the net is hardly a challenge.
In that respect I have found the current restrictions a bit of a bind. One of my major pleasures in life was skirt shopping in "meat" as opposed to "cyber" space.
Amazon, I do use but not for skirts. My best on line purchases have been good old Marks and Spencer, Next, Boden and Joe Browns,
The clothes are very satisfactory but the process is just not as rewarding or as sociable.
It also serves to spread the message of men in skirts in a way that e-commerce will never ever match.
Finally, in that respect, I am not wholly convinced that social media is so much of an influence for good or ill on the internet. I rather think that is more down to human nature and plain bad attitude.
If someone is utterly convinced that a guy in a skirt is nothing short of an abomination, Facebook, Twitter or whatever is highly unlikely to change their minds.
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Designers are betting or men’s skirts as emerging fashion trend: ‘Very liberating’

By MURI ASSUNÇÃO
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
MAR 24, 2021 AT 3:27 PM

Bro, that skirt is so chic!
Skirts are emerging as a new trend in menswear fashion, as designers reflect the new realities of a year under COVID rules in their new collections.
According to The Guardian’s deputy fashion editor Priya Elan, the surprising new trend reflects how pandemic life has “unshackled men from their dress codes.”
Designers such as Stefan Cooke, Ludovic de Saint Sernin, and Burberry have all included skirts or dresses in their upcoming fall/winter collections.

According to Women Wear’s Daily, Cooke’s Men’s Fall 2021 collection imagines a “world of men’s wear with discipline, intensity and commitment in dressing up to the nines.”
Cooke and his partner Jake Burt went through different phases when dealing with the new COVID-19 reality — which was reflected in their designs. While their spring collection reflected the easiness of work-from-home days, the label is now looking beyond the pandemic, and focusing on the silhouette for the fall.

One example, described by Vogue as an “English tweed varsity jacket–slash–minidress” took many hours of fitting and arguments to be completed, Cooke told reporters in a Zoom call this week.
The celebrated London-based menswear fashion designer had a bold prediction: capes are the new T-shirts for the fall, and short skirts are in.
“Men in skirts is kind of a weird topic, but I think what’s good about these looks is that they feel really legitimately masculine, it doesn’t feel like you’ve taken a womenswear look and put it on a man which I think is quite nice. I also think they’re just really severe; we’ve tried this season to make super hard-hitting,” he said.

Ludovic de Saint Sernin, a Brussels-born designer who designs “for guys and girls, with many pieces designed without one gender in mind,” agreed.
“I love the idea of men in skirts, I find it very liberating,” he told The Guardian.
“It’s just really fun, I guess, being able to wear something that usually belongs to womenswear, and at the same time keeping the look believable on a man.”

One of his hard-to-make pieces, a Swarovski miniskirt called “Vichy,” takes “months and months” to be made, he told Vogue. But his clients — " they’re actually quite young men, whether they’re [from] Australia or Mexico” — don’t seem to care.

Burberry’s Creative Director Riccardo Tisci is also exploring the trend. Last month, as he unveiled the label’s menswear collection featuring pleated skirts and shirt dresses, he said that he wanted to “celebrate the freedom of expression.”
Mark Bryan, a 61-year-old Instagram influencer who identifies as “just a straight, married guy, [who] loves Porsches, beautiful women, and incorporating high heels and skirts into my daily wardrobe,” told Vogue Germany in an interview published Wednesday that “by breaking free from stereotypes, we are freeing ourselves from a great burden.”
According to GQ Australia, the idea of men rocking skirts on the fashion runways is not exactly new. Designers such as Yohij Yamamoto, Raf Simons and Jean-Paul Gaultier have already featured it in their ’90s collections. But its newest “surprising low-key” iteration is on the rise.
It is ideal for men who “see the skirt as a bold fashion frontier they can almost imagine conquering. Think of it as the missing link between the swishiest basketball short and the liberating expanse of a ballgown.”
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Photoguy,
Thanks for taking the trouble to post that, it makes good reading.
photoguy207 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:43 am “English tweed varsity jacket–slash–minidress”
This, I like the sound of!
It would be real nice to wander into Next and buy one out of the menswear section.
Ahhhh, one can dream.
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

When I posted, I didn’t realize a lot of our members couldn’t read it :D

I just realized there is a typo in the headline of the article. I believe it should read “on men’s skirts” not “or men’s skirts”.
Last edited by photoguy207 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah, Steve. Joe Browns. I occasionally get a catalogue of theirs along with the newspaper. I drool over the dress fabrics and ache to order. For fashion the prices are reasonable, for dresses, anyway. But .... my wife would never tolerate me wearing anything that they produce. Shame really because the patterns are the bright colours that I love. Ah, well, sigh.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

photoguy207 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm When I posted, I didn’t realize a lot of our members couldn’t read.
No worries Photoguy, I know what you mean.
Sinned wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:37 pm I drool over the dress fabrics and ache to order. For fashion the prices are reasonable, for dresses, anyway. But .... my wife would never tolerate me wearing anything that they produce. Shame really because the patterns are the bright colours that I love. Ah, well, sigh.
Ah Dennis, I feel your pain, perhaps being ignored by the other half has some advantage after all.
Perhaps we should refer our spouses to Mark. Maybe his new found influence could effect a miracle on their attitudes but I doubt it.
As for Joe Browns, my tastes are actually quite conservative but they do quirky which I really like.
At the risk of a bit of drift, what is the feeling in York about the news from John Lewis? I was a "partner" in the Aberdeen branch for 15 years. They have kicked off a petition here to have the decision reversed but I reckon it won't make a blind bit of difference.
Steve.