Another positive article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Another positive article

Post by skirtyscot »

“It’s probably going to take a little while before it’s not a complete surprise to see a guy in a skirt in the street. I definitely support it though and want to see it more often.” says some designer. I agree completely!

And our very own Mark as in Mark gets his oar in too!

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... hion-trend
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another positive article

Post by Coder »

This made me laugh:
“To become truly mainstream, men’s skirts would need to combine the pencil skirt with a multipocketed work trouser,” said Prof Andrew Groves, the director of the Westminster Menswear Archive at the University of Westminster.
If that's all the is to it, that skirt already exists in some forms.

But I heartily approve of pockets - one day I went into work with a skirt with no pockets and had no place to put my ID card, so stuck it in my boot. I also used a binder clip to make a place to attach my office key clip.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Short but positive article, nice find :)

This is the main problem I encounter with my skirts. They nearly never have pockets and I have to add them myself... when it's in my range of competences!
A workaround I have found (but I still need to terminate it) is to add belt loops to the skirts I can't modify, so that wearing a belt with a bag attached to it will do the job. Two linnen skirts are not really what you might want to wear for winter :lol:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

“To become truly mainstream, men’s skirts would need to combine the pencil skirt with a multipocketed work trouser,” said Prof Andrew Groves, the director of the Westminster Menswear Archive at the University of Westminster.
A pencil skirt greatly limits one's stride unless it is slit most of the way to where the legs join. Some may think being hobbled makes a woman look sexy, but why would an active man want to be so limited?

I had an A-line skirt that was insufficiently flared. When doing various work around the house the short slit gradually grew until it hit the zipper. I then sewed in an opened old pants leg to make it very usable.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:37 pm
A pencil skirt greatly limits one's stride unless it is slit most of the way to where the legs join. Some may think being hobbled makes a woman look sexy, but why would an active man want to be so limited?

I had an A-line skirt that was insufficiently flared. When doing various work around the house the short slit gradually grew until it hit the zipper. I then sewed in an opened old pants leg to make it very usable.
I wondered the same thing - maybe there would be a "Womenswear" version that lets you take great strides? I suspect it would be called womenswear, as mens styles on a woman are considered menswear (I'm being silly at this point).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pmI wondered the same thing - maybe there would be a "Womenswear" version that lets you take great strides? I suspect it would be called womenswear, as mens styles on a woman are considered menswear (I'm being silly at this point).
Yes, there is such a thing -- it's called an A-line skirt (so named for the shape of it from the waist down), and the things work marvellously on guys -- much better than pencils. Some also feature pockets. I own several, and they work the trick very practically indeed.

At my height, a single step constitutes 3 feet of forward motion. It's precise enough to use for measuring decent distances. That's a lot of motion that requires a lot of sweep for a skirt -- and that cannot be accomplished with a pencil-skirt which is intended to hobble the wearer somewhat. I refuse to be hobbled by my clothes if I'm to function properly "in the wild".

So, yes, the options exist. I have "floor-sweepers" that I can actually get to a reasonable running speed in, and I'm known for my long skirts.

The chap at Westminster clearly sampled the options for practicality.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I concur, Carl. I have quite a few "A" line skirts, and some do have pockets -- seldom as many as I'd like, but usually adequate that I need not carry a purse which still bugs me and is a risky action given my propensity for setting things down and forgetting them! Yes, belts can do wonders to extend utility, especially for cell phones.

I've never tried running in a floor sweeper -- those usually are just relax about the house or an evening out and who runs across the restaurant floor? But 'A' line and full skirts are easy for any stride; and even moderately straight but not pencil skirts work for all but a run. Keep your pencil shape to above the knee or in a stretch fabric and you won't be impeded too much, though I don't like the feel of the stretch fabric effect.

Sorry, "Professor" I think you need to walk a mile in the Skirts you proclaim it will take before rendering your scholarly advise. :roll:
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

A good article which I enjoyed reading. I'm all for positive pieces like this when it comes to men in skirts, and I hope it does become perfectly commonplace in the world. As for skirts with pockets, only the eight denim numbers out of the two or three dozen I own have them, but I never use them, I prefer using a purse, in fact, I never leave home on an outing without one because I hate the bulkiness that comes from putting stuff in them, but, that's just me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Not that I intend any scholarly research but why focus on the pencil skirt exclusively?
Practical considerations aside, I found a web site claiming 65 different skirt styles of skirt.
There may be more, or less but that is not my great concern.
My starting point for wearing skirts is from choice and the breadth of clothing options which ensue.
Options which cannot even be considered comparable if I conformed to existing male dress norms,
If I add dresses to that then the possibilities expand on a truly awesome scale.
Any restriction to a choice of one is just not a choice at all.
The pencil style is OK occasionally but variety is the spice of my life and I fully intend to keep it that way for as long as I can.
What we really need is a skirt friendly Utility Belt a la Batman mode. Who needs pockets with one of those beauties?
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I find that, with skirt pockets, even when they are big enough to hold anything decent, they are often placed in a position or at a funny angle so that the opening to the pocket ends up being "tight" making it difficult to get thing into them. And the thicker the material the more difficult it is.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:03 am I find that, with skirt pockets, even when they are big enough to hold anything decent, they are often placed in a position or at a funny angle so that the opening to the pocket ends up being "tight" making it difficult to get thing into them. And the thicker the material the more difficult it is.
Then there's the matter of skirts with pockets so darn small, they're effectively useless.

As for pencil skirts, I've worn them from time to time, and I like how they look, but then, I've yet to find ANY skirt that doesn't look good on me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:44 am
Sinned wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:03 am I find that, with skirt pockets, even when they are big enough to hold anything decent, they are often placed in a position or at a funny angle so that the opening to the pocket ends up being "tight" making it difficult to get thing into them. And the thicker the material the more difficult it is.
Then there's the matter of skirts with pockets so darn small, they're effectively useless.

As for pencil skirts, I've worn them from time to time, and I like how they look, but then, I've yet to find ANY skirt that doesn't look good on me.
+1

Mark's go-to skirt is the pencil, and with any skirt (or kilt) you have something additional to carry stuff in (sporran for kilts, handbag / manbag for skirts). With a decent slit at the back, even if the skirt as tight around the thighs, no problem walking, or even jogging (just wear suitable footwear). I have a few denim pencils, no issue if they are too tight. Pockets mess up the contours of a skirt.

A cargo or combat skirt could be a solution, but as the article says, it's a litte while before skirts are mainstream. Guys are just getting used to slim fit jeans that resemble leggings... but I can see skirts being tolerated more, especially with acceptance of those who are genderfluid.

Mark as an "influencer", being courted by the likes of Vogue and being followed by Rihanna, is certainly helping MIS emerge from the forums and quieter parts of the web into viable men's fashion to be taken seriously :ugeek:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I have a few cargo skirts from Dickies. With just a few modifications of bigger pockets and some changes for the male body. They would have a skirt for men that would be amazing.