NBA player gets kilted

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: NBA player gets kilted

Post by STEVIE »

"Oh my, how awful".
Come on guys, get some perspective.
There are plenty worse things.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Definitely a skirt rather than a kilt.

The term "kilt" seems to be used almost as a kind of euphemism - "Look. It's not a skirt, guys, it's a kilt. It has a vaguely tartan-like pattern and a couple of pleats, so it has to be a kilt. And tough Scots warriors wear kilts, right? Would I be seen in a skirt? Don't be silly." etc. It is almost as if the word "skirt" is toxic when referred to anything acceptable for men or boys and that is silly. I recall something similar when women started wearing trousers and they liked to call them slacks - a term you rarely hear these days.

The word "kilt" really refers to a garment with very cultural connotations and was, until the early 19th century, simply a component part of Highland dress. Even Scotsmen in Glasgow or Edinburgh would have ridiculed the idea of kilts in any other context. My view, for what it's worth, is that unless something is designed according to the traditions of Highland attire, we should just say yup - it's a skirt - get over it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not only does it appear to not be a kilt, but seems to have a rather "baggy" pencil skirt shape about it.

Not particularly elegant, but hey, high marks for effort anyway!

I also agree on the socks, however I seem to recall wearing a gaudy pair of calf length white socks with a few of my skirts back in the day...

We all must start somewhere!
Stu wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm The term "kilt" seems to be used almost as a kind of euphemism - "Look. It's not a skirt, guys, it's a kilt. It has a vaguely tartan-like pattern and a couple of pleats, so it has to be a kilt. And tough Scots warriors wear kilts, right? Would I be seen in a skirt? Don't be silly." etc. It is almost as if the word "skirt" is toxic when referred to anything acceptable for men or boys and that is silly. I recall something similar when women started wearing trousers and they liked to call them slacks - a term you rarely hear these days.
You ain't tellin' me nothing, I know all about it. I am unapologetically not a fan of most kilts. They have their place in culture, but that's about all they mean to me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am Not only does it appear to not be a kilt, but seems to have a rather "baggy" pencil skirt shape about it.

Not particularly elegant, but hey, high marks for effort anyway!
Even a shapeless sack is progress. :mrgreen:
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm Definitely a skirt rather than a kilt.

The term "kilt" seems to be used almost as a kind of euphemism - "Look. It's not a skirt, guys, it's a kilt. It has a vaguely tartan-like pattern and a couple of pleats, so it has to be a kilt. And tough Scots warriors wear kilts, right? Would I be seen in a skirt? Don't be silly." etc. It is almost as if the word "skirt" is toxic when referred to anything acceptable for men or boys and that is silly. I recall something similar when women started wearing trousers and they liked to call them slacks - a term you rarely hear these days.

The word "kilt" really refers to a garment with very cultural connotations and was, until the early 19th century, simply a component part of Highland dress. Even Scotsmen in Glasgow or Edinburgh would have ridiculed the idea of kilts in any other context. My view, for what it's worth, is that unless something is designed according to the traditions of Highland attire, we should just say yup - it's a skirt - get over it.
True. Too long to be a kilt. Lazy journalism at work, it looks like a tablecloth rather than a skirt at best. It may not get many followers. One guy who always dresses well is EJ Johnson
unnamed.jpg
Such a nice outfit as well :P
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

I believe the greatest part of his outfit is his confidence. As has been mentioned endless times on this forum, confidence is the best accessory to any skirt!

I, for one, love the skirt (kilt)! It appears to fit well and looks natural.

It's "events" like this that will normalize men in skirts!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I did a search for "Fear Of God Kilt" and found their website.
That bloody skirt the Basketball Player is wearing has been
reduced in price to $500.00 :shock: :faint:

I don't care that he calls it "Swag", with my Scots-Irish heritage,
that is over-priced by 10 miles :!:

I could make one for $15.00 or so,m maybe less :!:
Geesh :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Al
We already know that any "designer" skirt labelled as menswear is going to be way overpriced and shall remain that way for a long time to come. It just would not carry the same exclusive kudos at a lower point.
Here's a young guy with loads of money to spare so he spends it accordingly. Hell, I'd have done the same thing and maybe still would if I could.
Personally, I don't think that a "Scottish Kilt" is especially good value for money either. In that respect tradition and heritage have very little to do with that judgement.
The pity is that this non-event is still apparently newsworthy and will probably still be for a long time to come.
I think Stu may have got it right when he said
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm The pity is that this non-event is still apparently newsworthy and will probably still be for a long time to come.
Steve.
A few days ago I was contemplating what widespread adoption of men's skirts would mean to this forum. I know that's not happening nay time soon... but who knows.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 pmA few days ago I was contemplating what widespread adoption of men's skirts would mean to this forum. I know that's not happening nay time soon... but who knows.
If widespread skirt-wearing became the norm in the local culture I might shut the site down as being redundant after polling the populace to see whether there was interest in keeping it alive simply to keep us in touch.

The mission, really, is to get things to a point where it's acceptable for a man to wear a skirt -- as a man -- and not face blacklash or criticism, and we're not there yet. And it seems to remain a large hill to take. We shall see what happens.

That said, to crib a line from my late grandmother who waited decades for her beloved Boston Red Sox (baseball team) to win another "World" Series, "When you get to be my age you get a bit ... impatient." I find myself growing impatient.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I find myself growing impatient.
Carl, I reckon you wont have to arrange that poll in the immediate future.
I'd like to think that I may live long enough to take part in it though.
I'd keep the place open and do what old timers do, hark back to the old days and remind the newbies how easy they have things.
Steve,
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I think skirts for men will be normalised within my lifetime and I am in my 60s. I don't think it will be gradual, I think there will just be a sudden change. It just needs a few more high profile male public figures to go there. There was no gradual move into sports tights for men - it just happened. Footballers seem quite keen on pushing barriers and they are idolised by the male masses. Beckham didn't manage it with his sarong, but soon, my friends, soon ....
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It occurred to me that the first (non-kilt) design to gain traction will be even more of a bozo filter than kilts. :mrgreen: