Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Post by Coder »

https://reason.com/2020/12/26/fashion-crimes/
When fabulous clothes are outlawed, only outlaws will be fabulous.
It focuses on sumptuary laws, mostly on women't outfits, but mentions men specifically in one part:
Ten florins let a man wear pannos curtos (literally "short cloths"), the masculine equivalent of a miniskirt, revealing his legs above the middle of the thigh when standing. For the same price, a woman could sport silk-covered buttons.
I tried googling the term but came up with just one other reference online: "pannos curtos: Any short garment that did not cover at least half the thigh when standing."

The article appears to be an excerpt from: "The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World" I put a hold on it via my online library - 6 months!
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Re: Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Good article. Long live the outlaws!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Wonderful Electric wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm Good article. Long live the outlaws!
Yes - the nature of people rebelling - back in those times no less - surprised me. It really shouldn't - every time I think our era is modern and sophisticated and full of rebels, I'm proven this has been the case for all of time and we're just repeating things differently.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Have to admit to a certain amount of jealousy when I see pictures of guys dressed like this, still managing to look 'manly' yet still wearing tights (pantyhose) and short dresses to all intents and purposes.

Shame these fashion's became lost to us.
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I liked the quote, "Sacchetti ends his story with a popular saying: "What woman wants the Lord wants, and what the Lord wants comes to pass."" How true, how true.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Epiceneguy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 am Have to admit to a certain amount of jealousy when I see pictures of guys dressed like this, still managing to look 'manly' yet still wearing tights (pantyhose) and short dresses to all intents and purposes.

Shame these fashion's became lost to us.
In perspective, that form of dress would have been open to men only and a limited group at that. The very concept of a short dress and tights for women would not arise until some time after that painting.
In the main, we have a lot more fashion freedoms than most people in those days could have possibly imagined.
Epicene, if you fancy the mini and tights look, just go for it. You will never know if you don't give it a try.
Maybe you could resurrect some lost fashions?
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:15 am Epicene, if you fancy the mini and tights look, just go for it. You will never know if you don't give it a try.
Maybe you could resurrect some lost fashions?
Steve.
Exactly, these days in many countries we can actually wear what we like. At worst, or perhaps best, it will become fashionable to be different.

That book, The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World is available to buy at a reasonable cost and is getting good reviews.
https://www.concordbookshop.com/book/9781541617605
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am Exactly, these days in many countries we can actually wear what we like. At worst, or perhaps best, it will become fashionable to be different.

That book, The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World is available to buy at a reasonable cost and is getting good reviews.
https://www.concordbookshop.com/book/9781541617605
I'm still waiting for it to be available via library eBook - I'm #13 and it still says about 6 months to go!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The big hypothetical question: What would each of us be prepared to pay for a permit to wear a skirt?

Now that I have discovered mini skirts and got addicted to wearing them, and seemingly collecting them, I think I would be prepared to pay quite a bit.
Checking my spreadsheet (true) I find that I have spent $3,491 on 423 skirts! :oops: With that sort of investment, I would have to be prepared to pay 3.5K for a permit rather than not being able to wear a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Strange !
The tights (leggings) under the tunic - some - each leg a different tone color
And then some are white and another orange - nobility rank status ?
Then the hats are different shape too ?

But I do like the tunic especially when pleated as an alternative to a
skirt (kilt) and blouse (shirt).
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:59 am The big hypothetical question: What would each of us be prepared to pay for a permit to wear a skirt?
Got my permit already... the 1st and 14th ammendment of the U.S. constitution.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 pmGot my permit already... the 1st and 14th ammendment of the U.S. constitution.
That'll work for as long as the US Constitution is respected and obeyed in the United States. It has precisely no bearing anywhere else. Just sayin'.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I might regret this but I have a question. If the Constitution could be amended to accommodate men in skirts, could it not just as easily be amended in the reverse?
As for "permit", there could easily be a reversal over here too. A lot of the employment rights that we enjoyed rested in European law.
With Brexit that could very easily change in the not so distant future.
On a personal level, I'm not certain that I would be happy to pay money for the privilege but I certainly would not give it up without a hell of a battle.
It was too hard earned in the first place to abandon lightly,
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Living in Yorkshire it would go against the grain to pay for anything I didn't have to so paying for the privilege to wear a skirt is a no. To digress, in the early sixties over here we had to buy a license for any radio that we had until the Japanese flooded the market with cheap transistor radios and it became so impractical to take the millions of people, particularly teenagers, to court. The radio license was abandoned. So in the event of a "skirt tax" the answer is to get millions of men wearing skirts. Hmmmm.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.