Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Post by Coder »

https://reason.com/2020/12/26/fashion-crimes/
When fabulous clothes are outlawed, only outlaws will be fabulous.
It focuses on sumptuary laws, mostly on women't outfits, but mentions men specifically in one part:
Ten florins let a man wear pannos curtos (literally "short cloths"), the masculine equivalent of a miniskirt, revealing his legs above the middle of the thigh when standing. For the same price, a woman could sport silk-covered buttons.
I tried googling the term but came up with just one other reference online: "pannos curtos: Any short garment that did not cover at least half the thigh when standing."

The article appears to be an excerpt from: "The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World" I put a hold on it via my online library - 6 months!
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Re: Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Good article. Long live the outlaws!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Reason: When Your Outfit Is Made Illegal

Post by Coder »

Wonderful Electric wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm
Good article. Long live the outlaws!
Yes - the nature of people rebelling - back in those times no less - surprised me. It really shouldn't - every time I think our era is modern and sophisticated and full of rebels, I'm proven this has been the case for all of time and we're just repeating things differently.