Openly gay Texas student protesting in-school suspension for wearing nail polish

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Openly gay Texas student protesting in-school suspension for wearing nail polish

Post by STEVIE »

I wore school uniform too and yes the girls did have bit more scope than the boys.
However, that did not extend to trousers, skirts were mandatory and cosmetics of any kind banned.
In inclement weather conditions they could arrive in trousers but had to change into a skirt immediately.
I certainly envied their skirts but I would never have voiced the desire let alone acted on it.
I was still a pupil when I obtained the first skirt of my own and that was possibly the deepest and darkest secret that I have ever kept in my life.
I also know one of my schoolmates who is openly gay now and I cannot imagine how bad it must have been for him.
I just hope that school authorities all over the world can adopt a more human and humane attitude to diversity than the one we experienced.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Openly gay Texas student protesting in-school suspension for wearing nail polish

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:03 am Interesting point about not saying there is a ban on skirts or dresses for the boys.
Are the authorities simply relying on societal norms to remove that possibility?
Whether or not the authorities ever even thought that a boy might show up in a skirt is probably a better question. The code read to me as something slapped together as issues came up, reacting to things, not planned ahead and thought through.