Harry Styles wearing skirts and dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Harry Styles wearing skirts and dresses

Post by Grok »

In reference to Coder's images, I believe that the 18th century was the last period of truly fancy dress for males. Clothing became much more subdued during the 19th century, but (in more formal attire) allowed a certain sense of style-something seldom seen today.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:59 pmIn reference to Coder's images, I believe that the 18th century was the last period of truly fancy dress for males.
The terminus of the "male peacock" look pretty much ended with the French Revolution, and the abject rejection of the fancy court dress of the ruling class. There was a hopeful, but brief revival in the 1960s and '70s, but that was swept away by the rise of the neocon and all the evil that brought with it. It hasn't even been on the RADAR since.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Coder wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:07 pm Thought I'd share - was on twitter for something unrelated and decided to search #harrystyles to see what people were saying. Ran across this amusing thread. Please ignore the politics of it - but to give everyone context - someone who's outspoken on the political right (please please don't delve into politics on this one, I do not want to poison this thread) had replied to Harry's Vogue article with a "bring back manly men" tweet, tweeting I think a photo of Harry in a war movie. That's all one needs to know - but I loved this response:
I think this picture as a reply would be fitting. It would also need a
Judygarland.jpg
caption under it stating, "no Yoga pants here! Where did real women go?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Freedom for All,
How about having him in a John Wayne or Stallone type action movie,
He could pack the requisite hardware while sporting a fetching floral number with appropriate accessories.
I am damn sure that would get some additional reaction.
Steve
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:29 pm Freedom for All,
He could pack the requisite hardware while sporting a fetching floral number with appropriate accessories.
Steve
Yes! Though it needs to be more tasteful and respectful than what they did with Willem Dafoe in "The Boondock Saints".
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:29 pm Freedom for All,
Steve
What would it be called..."Skirting the Law"? I think it would be cool, to be honest. If skirts get associated with someone "badass" enough.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Aww, I just had the most awful image, so thanks Raakone.
Uncle Donny in a dirndl dress as the megalomaniac with designs on world domination.
The hero, somebody like Keanu Reeves. We could have him in a freestyler outfit of some kind.
Now, I hope that haunts your thoughts as it does mine.
What title would you suggest?
Steve