Assaulted for wearing a skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Assaulted for wearing a skirt

Post by rivegauche »

No, this report is probably not what you were expecting. The victim was a woman!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 92318.html

It has come to this.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Assaulted for wearing a skirt

Post by moonshadow »

Indeed, this was discussed a little here.

To echo my sentiments in the other thread, I think this was an isolated incident. I can't imagine the world turning against women wearing skirts, even short ones.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:11 pmTo echo my sentiments in the other thread, I think this was an isolated incident. I can't imagine the world turning against women wearing skirts, even short ones.
Let's hope it was an isolated incident and that the perpetrators are brought to justice swiftly, both for the sake of the victim and also for society as a whole. We do not need random acts of violence, no matter how anyone tries to "justify" them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

The pity is that actually, there are a lot of places where probably most women wouldn't dare to walk in skirt, alone or even with other women, because they're likely to be assaulted. That's also true for me, I often gets uncomfortable with certain groups or people I see around me for that reason, hence there are places I will probably never visit while being skirted. And that's even worse at the night because it can become dangerous in the main streets. I remember once I was walking in the night in one of the biggest streets of the city. I seen 3 men in the other side of the street, had a furtive look at them, they did see it and started to shout and threaten me, saying I have to leave immediately or they would attack me because it's their street not mine. Imagine if I would have been a woman...

Well, I know I'm speaking about Belgium and the attack did happen in France, but that's not that far... :(
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It doesn't matter where you are or when, skirted or not.
Some random event could give rise to an unexpected risk.
The point is that being aware of your surroundings and behave accordingly is the best way to avoid potentially bad situations.
After that, relax and enjoy the ride. Try not to let fear of imagined scenarios and outcomes govern your whole existence.
Be sensible and safe, just don't be stupid.
Steve,
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

The irony is that violent crime rates have been falling for decades, though we're not sure why. Paradoxically, people always think it's getting worse not better.

What is definitely true is that due to the Internet and worldwide visibility of news and social media people much more aware of the crime there is. The less common something is the more likely it is going to be in the news, and thus you're going to overestimate the incidence. It's interesting to think back to the 90's when you simply didn't know how much more crime there was.

That said, no need to go looking for trouble. Personally I'm more worried about getting swiped by a car on the way to work.