Scottish Hate Crime law

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Scottish Hate Crime law

Post by Ray »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 am ...and when they get independence from the rest of the UK, they'll dig a trench along where Hadrian's Wall used to be. The Caledonian Canal will be eclipsed big time. They're even thinking of building a bridge over to Northern Ireland !!!

I thought the North Sea oil revenue had almost run out...

Tom
Tom, the bridge is a good idea! We can join with Eire, Norn Iron and Rockall to create the Celtic country of Craic!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I think Scottish independence is unlikely to be achieved in the medium term. Scotland will be outside the UK with no currency of its own and joining the Euro would be a qualifying requirement, but the state of the Scottish economy would preclude that. With a deficit close to 9%, when the maximum permissible to join the EU is 3% would mean it would take years of austerity by Scotland to reduce that. So the idea of an independent Scotland being outside the EU and having to have a hard border with England, its main export market, would probably be unappealing to most canny Scots. Of course, many might decide that they would be willing to undergo that to win independence, but I doubt they would make up a majority once the economic reality dawns on them.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

There's no deficit requirement to join the EU, only if you want to join the Euro. Otherwise the eastern european countries could never have joined. Joining the Euro is voluntary anyway (yes, on paper you have to commit but Sweden is not making any effort and no-one cares). If Scotland was independent it could probably join the EFTA fairly quickly which gets you all the economic benefits of the EU.

That said, independence would be really hard work. And the end result all depends on the settlement with the rUK. And rUK with the EU. Better wait for the dust to settle there first.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:02 pm
Kirbstone wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 am ...and when they get independence from the rest of the UK, they'll dig a trench along where Hadrian's Wall used to be. The Caledonian Canal will be eclipsed big time. They're even thinking of building a bridge over to Northern Ireland !!!

I thought the North Sea oil revenue had almost run out...

Tom
This is getting scary. The SNP have no intention of creating barriers with England. England will be our immediate neighbours and there will no more be a trench than there is one between Norway and Sweden. The SNP are not thinking of building a bridge to Northern Ireland - Boris is. Fortunately the Scottish people are seeing beyond this misinformation (including the fictional deficit) and democracy will eventually triumph over the dictat of the leader of a party Scotland did not vote for, and we will achieve our independence - pro-independence polling is now at 58%. We were also given a vow that if we voted No in 2014 we would be treated with respect and when we voted 62% to remain in Europe that respect was put in the bin. The vow was a lie. We are fed up of being taken to places we don't want to go by a party we did not vote for.As for oil, when the UK Government met the alleged difficulties of the N Sea oil industry by giving them huge tax breaks, the Norwegian Government took in £4 billion in revenue. We now have a PM in the UK who has declared that even if the Scots vote en masse for a party that wants independence in 2021 (they already have in a General Election) he will block it. So much for democracy - we are apparently living in a dictatorship. If the Scots want to go their own way how dare a different country block this.
The referendum was quote `` a once in a lifetime vote `` and one way or the other it was to be the end of the debate .. that was a lie .
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

To be ruled by the corrupt leftist EU is not freedom .
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now Ray,

Have you been visiting the night spots and amusement parks on Rockall recently? :wink:

Fact: The Irish Sea including the bit between Antrim & Scotland is MUCH deeper than the English channel, so a bridge is pie in the sky(e) actually.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom

True

But culturally, we’re far closer aligned than any other elements of the U.K.

If I recall, it was the cretin Sir Boris of Johnson who came up with the bridge idea. Not one of his best ideas.

Actually, looking at his other thoughts....hold my beer...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Knickson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:51 pm To be ruled by the corrupt leftist EU is not freedom .
Leftist? Haha! Only if you’re far right. You from Essex by any chance?

To be ruled by a despotic England with an intellectual amoeba at the head is not freedom.

Your move.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Freedom is a relative term. To be ruled by anyone is a constraint of some sort. Thay also say that rules are there to be broken, but 'civilization' results from the imposition of rules at every level and the function of governments should in part at least be to review those rules in existence and change or modify them to suit changing conditions or times.

That's about as political as I'm prepared to go. I didn't think Her Majesty had yet knighted 'Sir' Boris of Johnstone. A lot of ex prime ministers do get the sword on the shoulder, though. Speaking of which, That was a great job she did on Captain Sir Thomas Moore in July. What a glorious day and occasion that was.

Speaking of amoebas, The one currently in the White House was a 'reality TV star' before he ran for President. My hunch is that his brush with the Corona Virus was a stage-managed pre-election publicity ploy and the guy didn't get the virus at all. (Med. hat on...) No-one recovers that fast from a genuine Covid 19 infection.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Who mentioned Freedom? This is about self-determination, in as much as any nation is really independent in the modern world. The once in a lifetime thing was a reference to an opportunity, not a promise. The UK was the one making vows. That they then broke. You can only do that once.

I am amazed that Kirbstone has taken the "Sir Boris" literally. After all he was the one who introduced the trench along Hadrian's wall - wonder where he got that from? Not currently featuring in SNP policy! Arguments about things like currency we listen to. This sort of nonsense is now just laughed at. The Scottish electorate has become sophisticated. We see issues beyond money - we like immigrants and need them for our economy and we do not want to be dragged into illegal wars, or have weapons of mass destruction in our country. The UK Treasury has said an independent Scotland would not have any responsibility for UK national debt, yet there is not a single Scot who would walk away from that. We are a moral country, and when we express a democratic wish for a referendum in two different legislatures we will be very angry indeed if we are denied this by some privileged buffoon whose party was roundly rejected in Scotland. It seems the respect agenda we were promised in 2014 involves kicking Scottish view on Brexit (we voted 62% to remain) can be kicked into the long grass. Strange how the unionists embrace that "once in a lifetime" thing so enthusiastically while treating all other Scottish opinions with complete contempt, even those clearly expressed at the ballot box. Can't imagine why the Scots have had enough, eh?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 amSpeaking of amoebas, The one currently in the White House was a 'reality TV star' before he ran for President. My hunch is that his brush with the Corona Virus was a stage-managed pre-election publicity ploy and the guy didn't get the virus at all. (Med. hat on...) No-one recovers that fast from a genuine Covid 19 infection.
That's an interesting observation, and you may very well have a point. El Heffe "recovered" faster from that than most do a common cold.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Which brings up the question of the doctors administering to the President - are they in collusion with this late celebrity apprentice act ? ? ?
The only thing that was missing is the ventilator act that would have caused the transfer of powers to the VP.

On another note if this was the ploy to gain sympathy and attention - a stupid exercise with all the kings horses and republican officials
being supposedly exposed to the virus (+ positive check) needlessly causing alarm.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I wouldn’t put anything past The Trump The theory that his supposed brush with Covid was a stage managed publicity stunt is an interesting one which I have heard from several other unconnected sources. It reminds me of Basil Fawlty fainting when things get too tricky.
In the tradition of all good illusionists he then misdirects his audience by accusing the opposition of the very thing of which he is guilty, namely politicising Covid.
How about the theory that both he and Boris are alien imposters planted to destabilise the planet prior to invasion.
:roll:
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:32 pm There's no deficit requirement to join the EU, only if you want to join the Euro. Otherwise the eastern european countries could never have joined. Joining the Euro is voluntary anyway (yes, on paper you have to commit but Sweden is not making any effort and no-one cares).
What you say was the case, but new applicants must commit to adopting the Euro with EU accession. Sweden, where I lived until just four weeks ago, has been told that they must join the Euro at some point and there is little doubt that it will - as soon as the government in Stockholm believes it can win a referendum on the issue.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:26 am It seems the respect agenda we were promised in 2014 involves kicking Scottish view on Brexit (we voted 62% to remain) can be kicked into the long grass. Strange how the unionists embrace that "once in a lifetime" thing so enthusiastically while treating all other Scottish opinions with complete contempt, even those clearly expressed at the ballot box. Can't imagine why the Scots have had enough, eh?
In 2014, leading politicians genuinely did not believe that the UK would be voting to leave the EU and so they rightly pointed out that voting for independence meant Scotland would be out of the EU with little prospect of getting back in over the short term or medium term. Scotland did not vote to remain. Scotland is not and never has been an EU member and there has never been a Scottish referendum on EU membership. The UK was a member and Scottish votes counted for exactly the same as English, Welsh and Irish votes.

From an economic perspective, the rest of the UK would benefit hugely from Scotland gaining independence and there are growing voices in England for the English to have a say as well for that very reason. Maybe a Scotland which is outside the UK, with a hard border with England (its main export market by a mile) and outside the EU and little imminent prospect of accession, with no currency of its own, a massive fiscal deficit and with the value of oil bumping along the bottom, will somehow thrive. But I just can't quite see how. Call be sentimental, but I don't want to see my many friends north or the border in a state of impoverishment and isolation, while at the mercy of nationalists who are prosecuting people for exercising free speech or making a joke with a pug, or insisting that people should call 999 if they see a misbehaving toddler being given a moderate smack by a caring parent. I think they deserve better than that.