2020 Emmy Awards.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 2020 Emmy Awards.

Post by Dust »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 pm Regarding socks - and you don't want to hear my thoughts on deliberately odd socks - what always looks odd on a man wearing shorts or a skirt are the mid calf (mens) socks pulled up as far as they will go. Make up your mind and wear a sock turned down to create an ankle sock, or wear soccer/kilt hose with the necessary garters just below the knee.
This is not to condemn those who favour lighter weight hosiery, because there are some garment/shoe combinations that call for this type, but rather an appeal to avoid the 'half and half' look.
I have to agree with that assessment (although I've never found garters to be necessary, just socks long enough to be folded down in a cuff just below the knees). Mid calf socks should only be worn under pants with the tops hidden, in my opinion.

The mid calf height unfortunately has become standard for men's socks, at least in the US. Finding men's socks that come up to the knees is a challenge, but can be done. ("No show" length socks are far more common.) Probably because men almost never wear anything but pants unless they are in athletic clothes. In my mind, lack of good men's leg wear (and footwear, but I digress...) is one of the things delaying acceptance of men's shorts, not to mention skirts. It becomes more complicated than simply buying shorts, most men would also need to buy new socks, and possibly shoes. Not a huge thing, but one more obstacle. Going with hidden socks or none at all is probably the easier route, but many men may not want to show that much leg.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

It's a fantastic look. Bravo for them!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Dust » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:01 am

trainspotter48 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 am
Regarding socks - and you don't want to hear my thoughts on deliberately odd socks - what always looks odd on a man wearing shorts or a skirt are the mid calf (mens) socks pulled up as far as they will go. Make up your mind and wear a sock turned down to create an ankle sock, or wear soccer/kilt hose with the necessary garters just below the knee.
This is not to condemn those who favour lighter weight hosiery, because there are some garment/shoe combinations that call for this type, but rather an appeal to avoid the 'half and half' look.
I have to agree with that assessment (although I've never found garters to be necessary, just socks long enough to be folded down in a cuff just below the knees). Mid calf socks should only be worn under pants with the tops hidden, in my opinion.

The mid calf height unfortunately has become standard for men's socks, at least in the US. Finding men's socks that come up to the knees is a challenge, but can be done. ("No show" length socks are far more common.) Probably because men almost never wear anything but pants unless they are in athletic clothes. In my mind, lack of good men's leg wear (and footwear, but I digress...) is one of the things delaying acceptance of men's shorts, not to mention skirts. It becomes more complicated than simply buying shorts, most men would also need to buy new socks, and possibly shoes. Not a huge thing, but one more obstacle. Going with hidden socks or none at all is probably the easier route, but many men may not want to show that much leg.
Who dictates these things? I concede I'm not a fashionista -- for men, women, or pets.... All I did was swap my pants for skirts. Granted, with all of the fabrics, colors, patterns in skirts, finding a shirt that didn't seem to clash became a much bigger challenge than with plain jeans and slacks. Many of the places we've lived are quite warm, and shorts are not uncommon -- and it strikes me that as we wore those without shaving our legs, or fretting over our shoe style, that there is something more going on here than just putting on a skirt. Does a skirt in itself dictate one must attend to some "approved" fashion choices?

I have no pre-conceived notions about fashion. Indeed, many individuals have an incredible flare for selecting garments that go well beyond the primary functions of clothing (protection for the elements, compliance with law in most places, and a dash of looking clean and kempt) to achieve a grand appearance such as great art might; but what is all this stuff about "rules"? That just seem unduly restrictive; and for what reason other than to 'judge' someone else wardrobe? It certainly does not lend itself to experimentation, adventure, and innovation. My first motivation is comfort. My legs are the same in a skirt as they were in the days or yore when clad in shorts; my feet rarely have anything but a simple pair of quality sandals that go everywhere--mostly without socks unless it is cold! I do like the looks so many achieve, but what is all this stuff of "rules"?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:48 am I do like the looks so many achieve, but what is all this stuff of "rules"?
Rules, there are no rules!!

I don't follow any rules for dressing in a skirt or dress, I wear what I want when I want and where I want. I try not to look like a slob or dirty, I present as MAN and that is all.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Well said Faldaguy, seems to me that some comments are really just nit picking.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I am not saying there are hard and fast rules, just offering suggestions to help you not look like a slob. And really, those are just my opinions that you are free to disagree with or ignore.

But when it's high fashion designer stuff being showcased at a normally formal event like this, I have no qualms nitpicking the overly thought out design that is apparently the best the proffesionals can come up with, especially when some of the fashion amateurs on this site do so much better. Remember, we are all amateurs here, at least as far as I know...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The rules of fashion that I worry about are the ones that help you put an outfit together that is pleasing to the eye. The rules I ignore if not outright disdain are the dumb out of date notions such as, "Only wear white between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Give me a "cottage" (pronounced over the top mansion) beside the shore in Newport, Rhode Island and I'll stick to it until then, I'll wear white when I feel like it. I guess there are enough women who agree with me that they now have come up with "Winter white." I have yet to get a meaningful answer as to what exactly that means.

Photos of me and my outfits are scattered throughout these posts so you can judge for yourself how well I apply fashion's rules.

Trust me, they're pretty handy at 6:30 AM when you're trying to figure out what to wear to work!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"Excuse me officer, but why am I being detained?"

"I'm afraid you're wearing socks with sandals and that top just doesn't match the bottom.... come with me sir, gonna have to take you downtown...

:lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:51 am The rules of fashion that I worry about are the ones that help you put an outfit together that is pleasing to the eye.

Trust me, they're pretty handy at 6:30 AM when you're trying to figure out what to wear to work!
Right!

Fashion "rules" should be just that: guidelines to help you put a decent outfit together.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I read several articles and info, about Dan Levy s skirt and the Emmy awards. Not a terrible skirt and look, it's not crazy over the top like some of the stuff we have seen float across the internet.
I then read about the show he is on called Schitts Creek.

I was disappointed to find out he plays a homosexual character.
Once again , reinforcing that no average man can wear a skirt.
The average Joe Q public is out of luck when it comes to men's skirts.

It's interesting that

Girls can wear skirts
Women can wear skirts
Trans women can wear skirts
Gay men can Wear skirts
Gender fluid people can wear skirts
Car fenders can have a skirt
Hover crafts have skirts
Christmas trees can have a skirt
Kayaks have a skirt
Tables can have a skirt
Mountains have a skirt
Towns have a out skirts

Sorry men there are no skirts for you. You gotta sick to da@# p@nts
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:20 am I was disappointed to find out he plays a homosexual character.
Once again , reinforcing that no average man can wear a skirt.
The average Joe Q public is out of luck when it comes to men's skirts.
I wouldn't sweat it. Yes it's true that regular old guys in skirts are seldom depicted in pop culture media, but it's also true that guys seldom wear skirts in everyday life.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 pm Regarding socks - and you don't want to hear my thoughts on deliberately odd socks - what always looks odd on a man wearing shorts or a skirt are the mid calf (mens) socks pulled up as far as they will go. Make up your mind and wear a sock turned down to create an ankle sock, or wear soccer/kilt hose with the necessary garters just below the knee.
Socks, I have grown to hate socks, they just don't work on my legs, socks the length he is wearing just crawl down my legs to polish my shoes. The same goes for kilt hose, it just won't stay up, even with gartery things when skirted or wearing shorts I have given up with socks and just wear shoes. One reason I like long skirts is that the socks no longer matter, the same goes for jeans. I think the only way I could have socks stay up wouyld be to superglue velcro to my legs! or wear suspenders! No! that ain't happening!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:50 pmSocks, I have grown to hate socks, they just don't work on my legs, socks the length he is wearing just crawl down my legs to polish my shoes. The same goes for kilt hose, it just won't stay up, even with gartery things when skirted or wearing shorts I have given up with socks and just wear shoes. One reason I like long skirts is that the socks no longer matter, the same goes for jeans. I think the only way I could have socks stay up wouyld be to superglue velcro to my legs! or wear suspenders! No! that ain't happening!
:soapbox:
I have not worn socks in at least 40 years. I never could stand the things. I am now supposed to wear support hose, and about the only time I do is when I am in one of those gol-dern flying contraptions and have to sit for 4 to 5 hours in a cramped area and position. If I can get up and move about with a lot of room to really stretch my legs I seldom wear them. And if the truth were known I hate shoes too.. I am bare foot 95% of the time..
:hmmm: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Haha, don't worry about that. I also often don't wear socks, sometimes even at work :D I also take my sandals at work (they are in my closet) so that I can remove my shoes every working day!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Fred in Skirts » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Big and Bashful wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am
Socks, I have grown to hate socks, they just don't work on my legs, socks the length he is wearing just crawl down my legs to polish my shoes. The same goes for kilt hose, it just won't stay up, even with gartery things when skirted or wearing shorts I have given up with socks and just wear shoes. One reason I like long skirts is that the socks no longer matter, the same goes for jeans. I think the only way I could have socks stay up wouyld be to superglue velcro to my legs! or wear suspenders! No! that ain't happening!
:soapbox:
I have not worn socks in at least 40 years. I never could stand the things. I am now supposed to wear support hose, and about the only time I do is when I am in one of those gol-dern flying contraptions and have to sit for 4 to 5 hours in a cramped area and position. If I can get up and move about with a lot of room to really stretch my legs I seldom wear them. And if the truth were known I hate shoes too.. I am bare foot 95% of the time..
:hmmm: :lol:
Fred :kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Spirou003
Distinguished Member
Post by Spirou003 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:36 am

Haha, don't worry about that. I also often don't wear socks, sometimes even at work :D I also take my sandals at work (they are in my closet) so that I can remove my shoes every working day!
MORE RULES?
I never understood these. All those books or fashion articles mentioning the guy wore his loafers without socks -- like it was an attribute, sexy, or only for the rich who could throw them out when they smelled like gym shoes at the end of the day -- made 'no socks' seem like the holy grail!
Personally I have the luxury of a climate that does not dictate socks for heat or cold -- about the only 'rule' I observe for clothes is comfort and protection from the elements. All the rest is decor and style and ye should be your own dictator!