2020 Emmy Awards.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

2020 Emmy Awards.

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Saw a clip on the mainstream TV news about the 2020 Emmy Awards today, where one of the male actors was shown accepting an award with co-actors sporting a knee length skirt, looked like a grey pleated skirt, worn with a white shirt, tie and matching grey jacket.

A very sensible looking outfit that again shows male skirt wearers in something other than those ridiculous fashion parades.

Wonder if anyone else happened to see that?

I don't recall the name of the show that he was in which won an award...
DonP

Re: 2020 Emmy Awards.

Post by DonP »

That was Eugene Levy's son. They won an award for Schitt's Creek. Definitely noticeable. I was happy to see it and glad that nobody made a big deal of it.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

All in all not a bad outfit, skirt. Atleast it's not over the top crazy looking like some of the designer stuff we have seen. Not sure about one sock with stripes and one without, not sure about that?

GQ UK seems to have one of The first news article on his outfit.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/d ... emmys-2020
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I definitely approve! He looks great!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I like the outfit but I’m not so sure about the socks
:roll:
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Great look, but the GQ article repeats the usual trope about men getting in touch with their feminine side. That’s just lazy unthinking rubbish.

I don’t know about you, but when I wear a skirt, I feel comfortable. Ditto skirt, heels, hosiery. I’m still very much myself, wandering about the house as if I was wearing jeans (which I haven’t worn for 8 years!)

Getting in touch with my feminine side? I’m not upset by the suggestion which is in no way pejorative, but I’m just wearing clothes.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

I saw that outfit in this morning's paper. It's cool

Yes, that "feminine side" thing is a little over-used. Maybe it's just a man claiming what Society/Tradition (TM) wishes to deny him, on the grounds that he should always be ready to ride a horse or something outdated like that?

Also I can't help but see the irony, because the character he plays is annoyed by his father's nightshirts!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 pm Getting in touch with my feminine side? I’m not upset by the suggestion which is in no way pejorative, but I’m just wearing clothes.
At this time, skirts are still considered feminine, which does seem rather arbitrary, after all, it is just fabric.

Perhaps in time if/when skirts become more mainstream for men they will be seen no more feminine that a trouser wearing woman would be viewed as "masculine".

FWIW the skirt in question isn't really feminine anyway. He'll, it almost looks like a kilt, especially coupled with the socks.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The article, and especially the title, are a huge move in the right direction. Yes they need to lay off the "get in touch with their feminine side" nonsense, and learn the difference between "feminine" and "effeminate" (two similar words with very different meaning) but I thought the article even was not that bad!

I'm not familiar with the series he is in, but the article also said he wore something similar in the show, and it didn't sound like they did it for laughs. (Anyone more familiar with the show, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.) I know some actors have done similar one off things if they were in a show or movie that has them in such attire, so I'm interested to see if he keeps it up...
Shilo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:33 pm I like the outfit but I’m not so sure about the socks
I'm not sure about his socks and shoes either... And what's that on his shoes?

I thought he looked okay, but I can do without the overly tailored Thom Browne look also. But that may be more me than the outfit.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I don't know what "over tailored" means, but I think it's a sharp looking outfit ... until you get to his footwear.

If you'll notice, he's got 3 dark bands on the left sleeve of his jacket so maybe the 3 white stripes on the left sock are supposed to balance the dark bands. It IS sometimes hard to imagine what clothing designers have in mind.

And surely he could have found more appropriate footwear than combat boots!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Great apart from those socks :shock: ! they need to be either knee-length or ankle.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Because I accept that my desire to wear womenswear is rooted in the feminine elements of my personality I haven't been put off by the expression "getting in touch with one's feminine side." But as I thought about Dust's and other's discomfort with the expression, I realized that those of us who feel that way have a valid, important point.

As best as I remember, NONE of us first put on skirt as an exercise in our psychotherapy; but, ALL of us did it because it felt right and genuine to each of us. Putting a clinical spin on what is natural for us is at least a cause for bemusement if not upset and annoyance.

But hey, it beats a whole raft of other motivations others have ascribed to our wardrobe choices!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am I don't know what "over tailored" means, but I think it's a sharp looking outfit ... until you get to his footwear.
The article mentioned it was a Thom Browne designed suit. He's a designer who made his name sending male models down the runway in suits that were small... Sleeves and pant legs a few inches too short, and other things snugger than most guys would normally wear. Most people seeing a guy in a suit like that on the street would think kid who out-grew his clothes.

That comment was more in reference to that, but the pics seem to show the jacket on this skirt suit being just a little bit snugger than I would like personally. But I grew up in the days of baggy clothes, and I'm still recovering...
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am If you'll notice, he's got 3 dark bands on the left sleeve of his jacket so maybe the 3 white stripes on the left sock are supposed to balance the dark bands. It IS sometimes hard to imagine what clothing designers have in mind.
I didn't notice the four stripes on the sleeve till you mentioned it. I'd start by ditching all the stripes, but your explanation makes sense. The white ones are so obvious and the dark ones not so much. Maybe grey instead of white would work better. Still, I say ditch the stripes.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am And surely he could have found more appropriate footwear than combat boots!
True, but what else to wear? Most men's shoes look odd without pants partly covering them, while heels probably would have been seen as a step too far for this audience and the actor wearing it. Plus, probably not the look he was going for. Maybe some black men's loafers (and no socks) or something...
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Regarding socks - and you don't want to hear my thoughts on deliberately odd socks - what always looks odd on a man wearing shorts or a skirt are the mid calf (mens) socks pulled up as far as they will go. Make up your mind and wear a sock turned down to create an ankle sock, or wear soccer/kilt hose with the necessary garters just below the knee.
This is not to condemn those who favour lighter weight hosiery, because there are some garment/shoe combinations that call for this type, but rather an appeal to avoid the 'half and half' look.