“I never joke about my work 007.”

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: “I never joke about my work 007.”

Post by rode_kater »

It's not just the US though, the UK also has the concept of "protected characteristics". In Australia they phrase it so:
In Australia, it is unlawful to discriminate on the basis of a number of protected attributes including age, disability, race, sex, intersex status, gender identity and sexual orientation in certain areas of public life, including education and employment.
(link)

Which amounts to: you're allowed to discriminate on whatever you like, as long as it's not in this list.

Maybe it's a common vs civil law thing? There's always the claim that in civil law countries everything is forbidden unless it's allowed... I guess that applies to discrimination also.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:32 pm It's not just the US though, the UK also has the concept of "protected characteristics".
It is governed by the Equality Act of 2010, but a lot of recent press coverage of transgender matters suggests that hate groups and journalists are chosing to ignore it
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:32 pm It's not just the US though, the UK also has the concept of "protected characteristics". In Australia they phrase it so:
In Australia, it is unlawful to discriminate on the basis of a number of protected attributes including age, disability, race, sex, intersex status, gender identity and sexual orientation in certain areas of public life, including education and employment.
(link)

Which amounts to: you're allowed to discriminate on whatever you like, as long as it's not in this list.

Maybe it's a common vs civil law thing? There's always the claim that in civil law countries everything is forbidden unless it's allowed... I guess that applies to discrimination also.
Religion isn't covered in Australia? That's one of the major protected classes in the US.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Jim wrote: Religion isn't covered in Australia? That's one of the major protected classes in the US.
I'm not sure we can call it a 'protected class' as the Constitution prohibits Government from imposition of a religion; and assures all they may have their religious beliefs....(though "religion" is not defined). It is the intersection of these religious beliefs and practices that seems to be where the proverbial "s..t hits the fan". You can have your beliefs, but that does not mean you can impose them on others or use them to over-ride social, civil, or other laws of the land. Just try to claim your religion allows you not to pay taxes; or a bit touchier -- not to make a cake for someone who 'in your religious belief'' is sinful -- OH does it get complex fast; and only the lawyers make out!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I think you will find that in Australia that it is not legal to discriminate on the basis of religion, for example to deny someone a job because they were say Buddhist, would be illegal.
To deny someone a job because they were a smoker or a vegan, same thing.

It probably wasn't on the list, because to define every potential scenario would take a VERY long time, something which I'm sure would be fairly universal anywhere in the world.
On the other hand, to deny someone a job because of a criminal history where such history would be incompatible with the level of security required, (eg you wouldn't employ someone convicted of fraud in a bank), very justifiable.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Come on all of you. Does all this petty squabbling really matter? I consider that I only belong to the group "men in skirts" and all this alphabet soup really has nothing to do with me. Nor should it for most of you. Ho hum, how boring. Yawn.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:16 pm Religion isn't covered in Australia? That's one of the major protected classes in the US.
Ask any non-Christian in the U.S. about "religious freedom".

There's no such thing here.
Faldaguy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 am You can have your beliefs, but that does not mean you can impose them on others or use them to over-ride social, civil, or other laws of the land. Just try to claim your religion allows you not to pay taxes; or a bit touchier -- not to make a cake for someone who 'in your religious belief'' is sinful -- OH does it get complex fast; and only the lawyers make out!
And when you're sitting in the city council chambers wanting that special use permit, you'd better bow your head when they call for the prayer to "our heavenly father", lest you be "that guy..."...

Again... no religious freedom here.

Thank God (heh....) I know enough of the bible to pass as an actual American Christian citizen so I can fake it otherwise I'll never put food on the table!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Religion is a "protected class". That doesn't mean that this is always well followed! Or respected!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:14 pm Religion is a "protected class". That doesn't mean that this is always well followed! Or respected!
True.

And I didn't mean to get off on a religious tangent. I vowed to steer clear of such topics (politics and religion) here and elsewhere, but I just had to clear up that misconception about American culture for those reading this from abroad.

We have "religious freedom" in theory (and in law) but not in practice.

Even Christians suffer from this because not all sects of Christianity are respected either, and even if you're a flat out right wing evangelical, you're still not free... because you don't have the choice.

As long as there is prejudice, nobody will ever be free... do you think that Trump would be president if he ran as an agnostic who likes to wear skirts and dresses? Do you think Biden would even have the nomination he wore dresses?

Ironically, we actually have more freedom than the ones who rule over us!

If there's any hope... it must be in the proles.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:36 am Come on all of you. Does all this petty squabbling really matter? I consider that I only belong to the group "men in skirts" and all this alphabet soup really has nothing to do with me. Nor should it for most of you. Ho hum, how boring. Yawn.
This about sums up my thoughts as well.

I really couldn't care less about what box people want to put me in. If society thinks I'm a "Q" or a "T" that's fine with me.. I know what I am and I've been called a lot worse.

I am what I am and I know who I am. I'm a social independent, a lone wolf, I have no pod or herd to run with. And frankly I couldn't care less what the herd wants to call me...
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"...social indiependent, lone wolf...." The term I have been using is maverick.

I don't want to bother with alphabet soup except MIS. Trying to do so would make me more confused than I already am. :shock:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:22 pm "...social indiependent, lone wolf...." The term I have been using is maverick.

I don't want to bother with alphabet soup except MIS. Trying to do so would make me more confused than I already am. :shock:
I always liked to be identified as "free".

Free from social gender roles.

Free from worrying about how other people label me.

Free!

How does the old 90s "meme" go...? "Stress is a direct result of giving a f--k!" :lol:
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've just been to a restaurant ( Chinese ) with my grand-daughter and wife. I had to change into shorts but went with a dark purple spaghetti strapped top from the other side and to that neither made any any comment about it. So why should ( not ) wearing a skirt make any difference? { Shakes head in incomprehension. }
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome to the world of irrational responses.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, Carl, the weather has mostly been very hot here. Sticky and uncomfortable too. Around the house I have pretty much worn skirts, some very, very short, and to be fair she hasn't whinged at all. Either she's given up or she doesn't want the backchat from me. I haven't asked if she is getting used to the idea as I don't know if I could cope with an honest answer! She wouldn't give me a dishonest one.