Tuesday’s the Day to Introduce the World to Your Handsome Skirted Self

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Tuesday’s the Day to Introduce the World to Your Handsome Skirted Self

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

If you have wished for a day that affirmed your skirting so it would be at least a little more comfortable to go out in public that 1st time, Tuesday’s your day!

July 14 is Nonbinary Freedom Day. It’s a day to publicly free yourself from the strictures of the Gender Binary. The color of the day is Orange so try to find something in that color for the occasion.

I plan to drive to the Oregon Coast that day with my sports car club. Instead of the jeans I usually wear for such events, I intend to wear my orange, silk, full length, sleeveless shirtdress.

Celebrate your individuality on Tuesday!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tuesday’s the Day to Introduce the World to Your Handsome Skirted Self

Post by Spirou003 »

Such a pity, my favourite skirt is at the opposite, green :(

It could indeed be a good occasion to show skirted! :)
But I won't participate, I won't leave home at all tomorrow (remote working and mask obligation which make me feel like an automate with no mind when I wear it) and even if I would do it, it wouldn't be skirted as my father asked me to not wear skirt publicly (I respect his wish everywhere most people know we live in the same house).
And anyway I would not wear skirt just for that occasion because I don't feel non binary (or I would do it just for fun with some friend(s)). Even if I would have preferred to be a woman, I'm a (straight) man and for that reason I want to be considered as a straight man. I would rather be much more enthousiast for a pure "Skirt's day" ;)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Binary or non binary days don't make much difference to me.
For one thing, most days are skirt days in my world.
More so the concept of special days for such things don't seem to register much in my neck of the woods so it would pass unnoticed anyway.
Spirou, I had to meet with my son yesterday for a serious family discussion and wore trousers for that occasion.
I appreciate what you have said about respecting his wishes, compromise is not a bad thing hopefully keeps things peaceful between you,
Steve.
PS Handsome takes a stretch of the imagination in my case.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I really wish we could stop confusing style choices with various assorted "alignment" issues because when we do confuse them we're highly probably sending the wrong message.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 pm I really wish we could stop confusing style choices with various assorted "alignment" issues because when we do confuse them we're highly probably sending the wrong message.

One more time: all that "Nonbinary" designates is that in one way or another, one does not conform to society's straightjacket of expectations for each of the respective genders. For instance, as males, hetero-, gay or bi- we're perfectly comfortable and well within our rights to wear skirts and maybe even dresses.

Spirou said,
it wouldn't be skirted as my father asked me to not wear skirt publicly (I respect his wish everywhere most people know we live in the same house).]

I certainly agree with Stevie that you need to respect your father's wishes and keep your commitments, especially when you live in his house.
I would not wear skirt just for that occasion because I don't feel non binary

Little be it for me or anyone else to tell you how you should feel. Nonetheless, i would like to say, yet again, I identify myself as a gender-fluid, heterosexual male.

The first, hyphenated term designates my gender identity. It means that I recognize that my personality is a mixture of "masculine" and "feminine" characteristics, that I am comfortable with that and that I am rather disdainful of requests/demands that I "be a man." Not that I run into that much. By and large people take me as they see in my stylish dresses, coordinated shoes and matching purse.

The second term refers to my sexual orientation; women turn me on, men not so much. (The McKinsey study was quite clear, to at least some extent we're all bi-, otherwise expressions such as "handsome man" would be entirely lost on us.)

The final term denotes that I accept the body Nature bestowed on me. Okay, as a kid through my early adulthood, I wanted to be taller. Since then I have wanted better developed abs -- but not badly enough to do the necessary work -- I could do with less body hair and occasionally it crosses my mind that boobs and a lack of external genitalia would certainly simplify getting dressed and make my clothes fit better. But not enough to ever do the obvious about it!

As I said above, all that nonbinary means is that in some idiosyncratic way, you consistently and consciously violate at least one gender norm, such as voluntarily wearing skirted garments rather than pants.

Stevie said:
Handsome takes a stretch of the imagination in my case.

C'mon man! Give yourself some credit; the fact that you have a son, tells me that at least once a woman found you handsome. Are you calling your own wife a liar?
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having a special day to wear skirts is lost on me, as I wear skirts everyday and everywhere. I also wear dresses on occasion but they are still some what not an everywhere thing.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

David, thanks for your comment re. "handsome". As it happens, I have a son and daughter and will have been married for 40 years next March. I guess that it does say something about the two of us.
As it happens, I flew the flag twice yesterday in two very different outfits.
Trip into town for an eye test and yes, I have two. That was black jacket and full skirt with grey shirt and tights. Quite sombre and not especially eye catching but it got me a thumbs up from a passing truck driver.
In the evening, just out for some exercise it was a scarlet knee length with a cream jacket. Altogether more flamboyant but it drew no reactions and there were plenty folk around as weather was real good.
Anyway, the day came and went as they most always do.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The world is introduced to my skirts whenever I am able to. That my wife objects is immaterial when she's not around. When she is I respect her feelings and trust that someday soon she will come around to my way of thinking. Or just get so fed up of objecting that she leaves me to it. I'm not bothered which, as long as I get to wear skirts whenever I want. One day I'm hoping that she gets so used to my skirts that I will be outside with her and in the car before she realises. Maybe then she'll see that the impact on my surroundings will be nil, zero, nowt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:12 pm Such a pity, my favourite skirt is at the opposite, green :(

It could indeed be a good occasion to show skirted! :)
But I won't participate, I won't leave home at all tomorrow (remote working and mask obligation which make me feel like an automate with no mind when I wear it) and even if I would do it, it wouldn't be skirted as my father asked me to not wear skirt publicly (I respect his wish everywhere most people know we live in the same house).
And anyway I would not wear skirt just for that occasion because I don't feel non binary (or I would do it just for fun with some friend(s)). Even if I would have preferred to be a woman, I'm a (straight) man and for that reason I want to be considered as a straight man. I would rather be much more enthousiast for a pure "Skirt's day" ;)
Plain and simple I am a man in a skirt. I just wear want I want, I shop the" MY department" If figured out a little secret that most men will never know. well two, skirts are comfortable!!!! And your balls don't fall off if you wear a skirt.

I'd rather not have other people label me from the alphabet soup labels

I'm not any of the or part of any of the 30 plus some odd genders supposedly out there.

Once again women get the fee pass. Most women can wear just about anything and they are still seen as a woman. Unless they are wearing a chest binder and beard. But if a man wears a skirt, everyone wants to label him. Surely he wants to identify as something other than male. "That guy is wearing a skirt he, er, they must be...........

I agree I would rather just have a skirt day. No labels attached.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 pm
I'm not any of the or part of any of the 30 plus some odd genders supposedly out there.
I think one of the 30 plus labels is "male". I think you are part of it.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Jim wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:00 am
mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 pm
I think one of the 30 plus labels is "male". I think you are part of it.
I'm pretty sure he was just referring to the new ones, not male and female. I'm with him. I'm a male, plain and simple.

I too, would love a no labels "skirt day" but I think that's unfortunately a long way off. I guess normal Saturdays will do. Or just any day that ends in "y".
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

@Pdxfashionpioneer: Hope you had a great day on Tuesday! ;)

@Dust: Meaning everyday :D

I searched about any (un)official skirt's day, I didn't found anything really official all around the world, but I still found three things:
- Rokjesdag, in Holland. In brief, it's the first day when girls are mostly wearing (short) skirts without anything else on legs, and men are free to join the move. But no fixed date, as it depends on the whether, and it's in Holland. More infos: https://www.invadingholland.com/guides- ... -skirt-day
- 6 juni, the official "Mini skirt's day". Launched in response to a young woman refused to pass her exam (in Tunisia) because of a too short skirt. I don't find any non french reference. It is even not reported on wikipedia, for example. A french reference: https://www.journee-mondiale.com/468/jo ... i-jupe.htm
- 10 march, the "Skirt's day". It is a consequence of the film "La journée de la jupe" which denonciates things including sex inegalities. As the title literally means "Day of skirt", it obviously given a day dedicated to skirt. And as it speaks about sex inegalities, it was placed near from the "Woman's day" which happens on 8 march. I didn't found any other reference talking about that: https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/skir ... offset=nan

I was not aware of these 3 days before now. For Rokjesdag it's logical as it's in another country and there is also the linguistic frontier with me. But for the last two, they could have happened near from me, but I didn't noticed anything special nor heard anything about that. Not sure they are really known actually even in french regions.