Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by Faldaguy »

NOT AT HOME: Marooned in a small, but nice, cabin on the Oregon coast. Came to the US for Lesley to get tissue transplants in both eyes then the borders closed and birds stopped flying just as her procedures were nearing fruition -- so we are castaways!

Time to catch up on more posts here; an over-abundance of CV-19 'news'; and wander along the beach when the weather is tolerable which is not often by my standards. Getting a bit tired of long skirts everyday!

A good time to reflect on our 'social contract' with our fellow human beings and pray the despots of the world do not manage to eradicate the freedoms we supposedly have with more Patriot Act- like power grabs. I fear Carl is right in that regard, but some sacrifice if only in the name of self-preservation is vital. I prefer Governors issuing temporary lock-downs to having to become Judge/Jury/Executioner of the idiots that see their -"total freedom to do as they please as excuses for being free agents of involuntary manslaughter.

I am finding a bit more time to just catch up with family and friends, even if only via electronic means, and who knows, maybe I'll find an item or two on my to-do lists to actually scratch off. Lingering in the hot-tub, reading anything lying about, lots of coffee and no-guilt sack time!

PURA VIDA
Dottie

Post by Dottie »

I am required to take the 12 (so far ) weeks shielding , I told my employer , after a couple of milliseconds his response was "leave the keys and mobile phone " on the desk , see you in June hopefully "
Its been a week so far with 350 odd acres of farm and forest to isolate in and the accompanying jobs plus the ones Mrs Dottie is "finding" are filling the time,and when they run out ( if ever ) there's wildlife watching and target shooting as other occupations.
Having said that looking outside its just started snowing ! Tweed skirt tomorrow methinks as its cold with the wind chill.
I have avoided the Television coverage so far , just have the radio on in the background. The only out side contact has been a video call with the doctor and the practice nurse checking I can treat my self ok .

Keep yourselves and your families safe .
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm reading a lot and watching tele. I have plenty of books and jigsaws but I have a keyboard here - the piano type and I'd like to learn to play it. I have time, patience, still reasonably nimble hands so can any of you out there that can play please guide me to a free janet and john beginners guide? I may not end up a concert pianist but the ability to knock out a ditty or two would be an accomplishment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I have many thousands of 35mm slides and have set up my light table and scanner, this should keep me out of trouble/occupied for weeks to come.
I occasionally get out for a walk but prefer to stay in as both myself and my wife are at high risk, it is better to be safe than sorry. We have just been told that a friend has the virus, how that has happened is a worry as she is very cautious.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I am re-furbishing an old Aiwa F770 cassette deck, have been for a while because they are sods to work on, now at last the mechanical bits are re-assembled, hopefully all that remains is to re-connect the spaghetti and solder the last wire then test it. Other than that, guitar practice, music listening, minidisc sorting and labelling. Most of that is hardly happening because of the curse of YouTube streamers, my PC isn't man enough to run my favourite flight simulator so I spend a lot of time watching others flying it.
Then through the week I am working, but from home, a new experience for me.Oh!, look at the time, must feed the cats before the next stream starts!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Well I am still able to work as a Chiropractor, the 1.5 m rule is a bit tricky. Patient numbers are obviously down but enough to play staff and people are still coming in. So I work, shop and stay at home. Interesting here in Oz the virus at the present time does not appear to be as virulent as in the Northern hemisphere, about 4 000 and something infections but less than 20 deaths. Toilet paper has returned, now there is too much, in general the panic buying has stopped, I think the media started it and the government did not act fast enough to stop it. At home, dog walking and reading.

John
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Oh well, cassette deck re-assembled but one of the solenoids isn't solenoiding, probably got a cam in the wrong orientation. Screwed it together and gave up for now. Dinner now cooking! One day of work (at home) tomorrow, then off for some leave, erm, to stay at home. Hmmm.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Both my electric kettle and my microwave oven chose last week to break down.  The switch in the kettle had started occasionally arcing some time ago after I heard a friend say "Oh s**t" whilst filling it, so I suspect water may have got into it.  The contacts were very dirty and the spring strip they were mounted on had lost its tension, so I cleaned and readjusted them.  Fingers crossed, it is working again.

The microwave oven turntable had stopped rotating; it has gear teeth moulded into its underside, driven by a gearwheel from the fan motor.  Speed reduction is achieved by a belt and gearbox arrangement and it was the belt inside the gearbox that had broken; the whole blower/gearbox/drive train had to come out to change it.  
CBAT01_6335s.JPG
Luckily I still had a supply of the belt material and the jig I had used to join it.  The belts last about 12 years on average; this is the third one since I 'acquired' the machine from a waste skip in a previous century.

[Note: It is extremely dangerous to try to repair a microwave oven if you are not used to working with high voltages, lethal amounts of energy can be stored for some time after the machine has been switched off and must be discharged before doing any repairs.  After reassembly the machine must be tested for microwave leakage.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I've made a list of jobs to do around the house. Unfortunately, I don't have any skirts that I could wear that I wouldn't mind getting dirty or torn, so wearing old work leggings instead.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Just as a matter of interest, B&B, what is your favourite flight simulator?

Would love the space, budget, time, skill to be able to put together a flight sim with life-size cockpit, 'real' instruments and controls and some fancy-pants screens to give me a wrap-around view of the (virtual) outside world.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am Just as a matter of interest, B&B, what is your favourite flight simulator?

Would love the space, budget, time, skill to be able to put together a flight sim with life-size cockpit, 'real' instruments and controls and some fancy-pants screens to give me a wrap-around view of the (virtual) outside world.
It might be the only way you get to see it in future
:roll:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am Just as a matter of interest, B&B, what is your favourite flight simulator?

Hi, I switched to XPlane 11 a year or more ago, FSX was getting very prone to crashing, even the Steam edition, that has now been deleted from my machine. XPlane 11 has a very different way of working, modelling the effects of every surface of the plane, rather than using lookup tables like flight sim X or P3D. So XPlane just feels much more realistic. I wasn't impressed with several of the default planes, however I then discovered the Zibo mod. This person called Zibo has taken the default Boeing 737-800 and improved it to the point where real 737-800 NG pilots can't believe how realistic the plane and almost every system on it has been re-created. This mod is FREE. Take the Zibo 737-800, and Ortho scenery (Flying over photographic scenery from Google maps, add real-world weather using something like Active sky and you have the nearest you can get to being a real aircraft pilot. I don't have a cockpit in my front room, I can't afford that but some folk do. I use a Thrustmaster TM16000 flight system, (a joystick, with a separate throttle and a set of rudder pedal/brakes).
My problem is that my 11 year old PC can't keep up anymore. You need 20 fps to fly in real time, at best I get near 20 fps, at worst it drops below 10 with the Zibo, I need a PC, I also want to start using the Ortho scenery but you need to download it to a hard drive, a 738 NNG pilot who streams regularly has downloaded the Ortho for all of Europe but that fills a 7 terabyte drive!
Here is a video from my favourite Zibo (and real world) pilot, it is long, about 2 hours, with the first 35 minutes being the setup and programming. You can jump into a Cessna and just take off and fly in Xplane 11, but I love this here Zibo malarkey complete with cabin crew announcements, cleaner noises as you start the setup etc. Not sure if FD2S uses that on this video but it really adds heaps of realism.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

The UK's most asked question at the moment....

"What DAY is it???"
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

howardfh wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 am The UK's most asked question at the moment....

"What DAY is it???"
I know it isn't Monday - the day I volunteer at the local newspaper office.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I have been home now for 3 weeks with some project done and more to do. My OH is having trouble setting at home and wants to get out to work and visit family, not good.We do take a meal up to are 100 yr old neighbor, she turn 100 in March,in the evening and check to see if she took her meds. We are setting pretty good here with supply, I went out for 2 day and got some things for projects before I settle in for the long haul and I had order 2 boxes of N95 mask and some gloves that had showed up 4 weeks ago. I have been planting starter plants and move compost into the garden area and tilled it under before the rains came. The cows walked over the old fence I had around the garden area so I'm Putting a new fence up and making the garden area a little bigger and putting my fruit trees in side garden area. I still working in the kitchen to put up a back splash and trim around ceiling in the kitchen and living room, I did pick up what I needed to get these job done. The other day I dewormed the cows that was 9 cows and a one man circus going round and round. Jim