Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have deliberately moved to an area of flat plateau 200 feet above sea level
One of my friends has a 200 year lease on a National Trust Farm.

My Eighty year old friend worked the family farm and his mother owned a guest house on the cliffs
The big farm worked turnips and colliflowers . Further down the valley there is a big
catchment lake which pumped irigation water onto the fields which my friend worked.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

On the edge of the Predannack Airfield there is an old Wind Mill which has been rebuilt...
This was used as a hiding place for the local cattle thieves

This area is a wet land even in the middle of summer....Visitors go on tours of the wet lands
on raised walk ways ...The moor land is now used for Highland Cattle breeding and
meat production at two years old ......The old vegetable farm is now used for sheep and cattle production
This business was started from scratch seven years ago .....The family came from
Exmoor with 5 young kids so they have plenty of cheap labour for the constant chasing of sheep and
cattle .....When ever I go round the farm they say " why are you here Rod ..another breakout ? "
They are also into organic vegetables .....everyone works 7 days a week ...Twelve hours a day.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Another big business is contract land hire . The agrigricultural land is worked two seasons a year
with polish contract labour and brand new tractors with 40 ton trailers running the produce
upto 20 miles on public high ways at 30 miles per hour.
In a ten mile to Helston with no speed restrictions other than 70 mph max , I will usually
see ten big units on the move ......

In one of the sharp dips and bends I might meet a convoy of four Air Field Fire Engines going out
to the training base or couple of 38 ton Trailer Riggs moving bags of Cattle Feed
If I get it wrong I will meet two 52 seater double deckers taking the students on a one and a half
hour trip to college..
If you realise the logistics of taking the School trips and the local tourist trade out of the picture
with lock down ....I am attempting to only travel every other day for my purposes
with in the lockdown remit...like twelve gallons of fuel per week.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Anyone who has time on their hands could go through my recent posts as my system is running
normally today . Have sort of chilled out today waiting for the next disaster

Check out English Heritage ....National Trust ...Cornish Tourism ...Cornish Social and Maritime history.
Cornish Fishing ....Cornish Mining History ..Cornish Agriculture...
All the grant money is now being made available .....I can assure you that the biggest
problem is with Joe Public and my story of what has gone wrong in my life style...
It is slightly different to my parents war stories and the ,say ....75 000 Americans who came to the
local area and then went through to Berlin ....

Plus the other Team who went direct to the Persian Gulf and went overland to the Russian Front
I an going off my own topic ...But you can do your own resurch locked in the safety of your
own home ....what has gone wrong and what could go wrong.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I might have missed something last night as the ....Note if you are experiencing technical difficulties...
and ...your post has been recieved .... were not rolling to show both messages ..
however after the minor virus clearance my system is no longer crashing

I am managing today with a 3 hour session on this forum and a nice sunny day outside

Sort out my garden ...boats ...lounge for the new wood burner and I might even get time
to be retired and watch the clouds roll by.....Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I now notice that I have to roll my screen up half an inch to show that my message has been recieved
after I have pressed SUBMIT...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am loosing my way....Go to South Dorset Caledonian Society......

See my Scottish Ex Pats at their Highland Ball in Weymouth Grammar School ..

they have been living this social Life style since the mid fifties

One of the laddies on Ex Marks The Scot has has shown the Same Dances in America

There is another sight which shows the Scots with their piper in Nova Scotia
There is even a shot of an old Motorised grand banks schooner landing fish

I met a Breton School master at a youth hostel two miles up a private road on the
Banks of the Fowey River

He said in Good English ....you look like a Fisherman.... My Grandfather sailed the Grand Banks
when he was Ten Years Old ...He lost all his teeth with Scurvey

There is a Portugeese Grand Banks Dory in the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth.
The Portugese were still working the Grand Banks in 1954 Try the Museum Search

there is a reference museum....I have a copy for reference purposes ....
A Painting on The Fly Cover Of a Book....Sennen Cove sailing luggers .
a replica was for sale ....cheaper than my Beer Lugger ...again another fine set of photos
with my boat number 12 on the beach ...The number is on the mizzen sail

A team of six men launch the boat of the beach ....a bit of 1880 s.... Devon fishing
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rod,
I just read your post about restocking the lake. Way back shortly after we first had it dug it wasn't surrounded by trees and I thought I'd try stocking it with rainbow trout and catch them on the fly. This we did, transporting them from a farm in Avoca in Wicklow to our home some 50 miles away by mostly nasty little mountain roads, crossing a 1500 ft pass on the way.

We installed two padded tanks in MOH's little Berlingo van, but the casualty rate was close to 50%, so we had lots of dead rainbows to freeze. We enjoyed watching the frolics of the surviving fish at feeding time and I took a few on the fly in subsequent weeks. The pleasure was short-lived as they were discovered by a local otter which I caught red handed one dusk as he fed gourmet-style on my stocked rainbows. In no time at all he had cleaned the lake of all trout.

Not to be disheartened, we repeated the procedure the following year and set off home from Avoca with a van full of lovely farmed trout. Alas the Otter Telegraph was still fully operational and uninvited diner(s) decimated my trout stock again in short order. With the growth of trees around our lake any hope of fly casting is now ruled out, so the stock is coarse fish from the local canal.....considered edible only by the immigrant East Europeans. My grandchildren fish for them with bread paste & worms &c. They are now strictly catch and return.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:01 pmThe pleasure was short-lived as they were discovered by a local otter which I caught red handed one dusk as he fed gourmet-style on my stocked rainbows. In no time at all he had cleaned the lake of all trout.
Have you perhaps considered stocking piranha?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes Carl, but only as a joke. Piranhas live at equatorial water temperatures and probably wouldn't survive immersion in our lake. Furthermore I have yet to find a fish farm selling piranhas from stock!

The canal coarse fish at present in the lake were caught locally by yours truly, held in a keep net and transferred the couple of miles in a tank in my car boot. 100% survival and they breed, so further stocking will not be necessary. The lake very quickly acquired shoals of thousands of sticklebacks and minnows originally brought to it by birds, so the larger stocked fish will have food for life.....as will the kingfisher, cootes & mallards which like it there.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:01 pm Rod,
I just read your post about restocking the lake. Way back shortly after we first had it dug it wasn't surrounded by trees and I thought I'd try stocking it with rainbow trout and catch them on the fly. This we did, transporting them from a farm in Avoca in Wicklow to our home some 50 miles away by mostly nasty little mountain roads, crossing a 1500 ft pass on the way.

We installed two padded tanks in MOH's little Berlingo van, but the casualty rate was close to 50%, so we had lots of dead rainbows to freeze. We enjoyed watching the frolics of the surviving fish at feeding time and I took a few on the fly in subsequent weeks. The pleasure was short-lived as they were discovered by a local otter which I caught red handed one dusk as he fed gourmet-style on my stocked rainbows. In no time at all he had cleaned the lake of all trout.

Not to be disheartened, we repeated the procedure the following year and set off home from Avoca with a van full of lovely farmed trout. Alas the Otter Telegraph was still fully operational and uninvited diner(s) decimated my trout stock again in short order. With the growth of trees around our lake any hope of fly casting is now ruled out, so the stock is coarse fish from the local canal.....considered edible only by the immigrant East Europeans. My grandchildren fish for them with bread paste & worms &c. They are now strictly catch and return.

Tom
Tom ..One way to beat the tree problem around a lake is to put a balloon
between the floating line and the the tapered fly line .
The idea is to let the fly drift down wind...The other thing is to put escaping ground bait
under the balloon.
We used fly gear for bass and mullet ....Great Sport

Otters create a new problem...There was money for culling.
Now the green party are reintroducing otters.....
Perhaps there is an answer in creating otter colonies ...or even introduce
a species who feed on otters

This Idea of moving fish on a land rover trailer with an airation system in now
big business...
South Coast ( Sini Wrass ) ? are transported to Scotland to swim in the salmon nets
and keep the fish free of organisms on their scales....

At one time we were catching live species of sea water creatures to stock
and balance a new sea water aquarium....Big money in hermit crabs to
keep the tanks clean . Live Black crab , hermit crab and live mackerel were
used a cuttle fish feed....If you could imagine cuttle fish swimming round
large circular quarrentine tank....a live mackerell would only get half way
round the cirmference of the tank before it was cuttle fish feed.

I have no answer to your otter problem....Perhaps a baited net is the answer
if you can justify its use...Other folk with otter problems in their fishing
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The owners of private fishing waters may have come up with a solution to
the otter problem...one of the Government Agency may have a successfull agenda...
Removal of weed is another problem...Some tried to use chemicals

An otter poacher could soon sort this out
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

An old dew pond became overstocked with domestic Gold Fish
A king fisher from the local estate soon solved this problem.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Netting over gold fish ponds solved a problem ..the seagull nests from the
roofs of dommestic building were removed ...There was still a problem with
seagulls on the local refuse tip..
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl might like the idea of using Caslium Carbide infected bait.
This will literally blow up a seacull....My cross bow system would certainly work.
Or even a pack of hounds....Probably not acceptable ...otters have a habit of
damming up streams..
I was intending to get into a brainstorming project to design a rat trap
There might be a move to design an otter trap and leave it as a road kill.
One of the sea fishing nets might be suitable for drowning the otter
The answer is to get the otter into a feeding frenzy.
Moscito was removed by covering the water with a film of oil
If you could dispose of some explosive ordinance in your lake using
semtex ...you might dim the otters senses