Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm Had to stick this one in, taken today (fine weather!)

Trick is to use each steady hand alternately using a half-inch artist's short brush and when the paint is set, run the scraper up & down the glass margin, so everything is straight-ish. Time-consuming, for sure, but it won't be done again for a good ten years.

Need to await re-opening of DIY outlets to obtain pre-formed white plastic angled covering strips & extrudable sealant for roof rafters....No painting needed up there then.

Tom
Hi Tom,
Re: greenhouses. Came across this yesterday. As they are shut during the lockdown The National Botanical Gardens have put up virtual tours of The Palm House & The Viking House-
http://botanicgardens.ie/glasnevin/gard ... glasnevin/
Scroll down, click on whichever you want to look around then hold down your left mouse button & move it slightly to look around. You can move forward by clicking ahead (in the same way as on Google Street View)
Can also be used with a VR headset.
Great way to fill in the time.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you, Pleated for that ! What a lovely link and I had no idea it existed. Thank you again.

Yes, The botanical gardens at Glasnevin are and have been since before my childhood a delight for sore eyes and a favourite place for MOH to visit. She was brought up in Surrey, England by parents who had a splendid garden, so she has recreated most of that here and works slavishly long hours most days in it. She holds membership of the British Horticultural Soc. and the National Trust, so when we visit Brexitshire a couple of gardens must be visited.

Her Mamma died peacefully in her rocking chair looking out at her splendid Surrey garden with her dogs at her feet. What a way to go!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have been retired for 12 years so I have my garden and the S.W. coastal path on my doorstep half a mile away
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

For some reason my last night my p.c. was no showing that messages had been recieved.
Carl was on line but only one of my messages was shown on screen
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Now INFORMATION is showing that messages are being recived
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

With Lock down I have time to have banter and gossip chats with my friends on this fine forum.
The stress of life has been taken out of our lives to produce a different set of problems.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The whole thing is weird as life style is like turning the clock back 50 years in Cornwall.
In Febuary one country house was taking in 3000 vistors a day..
Then the rain turned the field down onto the Falmouth Estuary into a lake as there was no run off for the water
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I visted Trellisik House four or five times and sat in the garden in the sun and looked seven miles across the Estuary
to this years proposed " Beach Haul " when I would keep my boat this season.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It was quite fesible for me to cover the crossing in a couple of hours , anchor off , swim ashore with all my clothes in
a canoe bag ., dress in my chosen style and show my £40 National Trust Membership Card and live in the facilities
of a "big house " for a day
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

A whole series of posts have now been recieved......The Big House has a Second Hand Book Shop, A map supply shop
Old maps on display , a resturant in the old kitchen , a summer sun room with tropical plants and a large orchard .
Even the tennant farmers sheep are over the fence from the sitting out area.
Walk down to the river and take the chain ferry across the river with a bycycle .
There is even a passenger ferry back to the Falmouth Waterfront...From there I can walk to my friend's Sail Makers Loft.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I choose to drive to the Big House car park I can get to the boat park and launching site which is about a 20 minute walk
from the big house ...Check out Round Hill Quay. Look at the maps of the river.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I now return to reality, .....I swim back to my boat , I have a two hour sail into the sunset .
Mackerel are my target for supper. What could go wrong ?
I have an "Iron Topsail " ...in the form of a 10 hp diesel engine, I can even sleep on the deck under the stars.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

When I return to my boat haul one of my friends has all the sticks and winch wire laid out on the beach
A campers meths stove boils the mackerel in sea water like an egg ...Three minutes should do....
Then an evening meal for the beach team....a 100 yards from the pub....
I started working this beach over 50 years ago ...Please come and join me for an evening meal.
what could go wrong ?
The Nation Trust Big House is closed ..The ferries are not running...The beach will be closing.
No pleasure boats can put to sea ...The commercial boats have lost their markets
The police and coast guards patrol the beaches.
It is like the deserted Dorset Village of 1943....you will have heard all my stories about this heritage.

Are you still waiting for the bad news ? Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 pm At home currently there are six of us spanning three generations. Fortunately we have plenty of space both indoors and out with lots of leisure activities available. Indoor cinema, music room, ping-pong, snooker and some gym equipment. Outdoor badminton & croquet, campfire and limited boating on our little lake. Lots of large DIY projects underway also, so boredom doesn't get a look in.

Our big dogs need walking and we have square miles of moorland right on our doorstep for that.

Tom
I am looking at your boating lake.....Is there any viability in restocking your lake with fish ?
there are records that in the big estates in the Purbecks in Dorset ,....The fish were caught in ring nets
and transfered from one Estate to the next by horse and cart.....

The problems were that the linked ponds in the estate were not secure and the fish moved to the river.
If this lock down lasts forever you might consider a mill for grinding your own corn
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The mill was usually owned by a Co op...The water mill was fed by a series of leats or feed lakes linked to a water shed .
With the watershed on Granite and Clay there are plenty of streams in area .

Robert Felce ? History of Mullion.....
If remember correctly there were three water mills discharging into Mullion Harbour.