Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by Charlie »

My wife reckons there's going to be a baby boom when this is over. I won't be responsible - I was part of the baby boom post WW2.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Charlie wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:55 pm My wife reckons there's going to be a baby boom when this is over. I won't be responsible - I was part of the baby boom post WW2.
Charlie
There was a discussion about it on Radio 4 the other day.  There are several factors involved, the most obvious being boredom when couples are forced to stay together with nothing much to do.  A factor that works the opposite way is teenagers having to stay with their families, which means there will be far fewer unplanned pregnancies.  Another factor is the psychology of couples who were planning to have a baby soon but may now decide to put it off until all the uncertainty is over.

What the overall effect of these opposing factors will be is open to doubt -- but the lifting of the restrictions may well produce a short sharp spike in births as everyone decides to make up for lost time on the same day.  At least this time the Government will have nine months notice of a potential shortage of midwives, maternity hospital beds and incubators.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

An unfortunate side effect. Having more births is the last thing this planet needs...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Oh no! Not another batch of baby boomers; there won't be enough resources left on the planet to sustain another lot of us.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There may be a rise in the number of divorces too. The helpline for domestic violence has seen a drastic rise in the number of calls.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:09 pm There may be a rise in the number of divorces too. The helpline for domestic violence has seen a drastic rise in the number of calls.
That supposedly happened in China - so much so they put a moratorium on divorce for 30 days (hopefully not fake news).
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Big and Bashful wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:32 am
FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am Just as a matter of interest, B&B, what is your favourite flight simulator?

Would love the space, budget, time, skill to be able to put together a flight sim with life-size cockpit, 'real' instruments and controls and some fancy-pants screens to give me a wrap-around view of the (virtual) outside world.
Hi, I switched to XPlane 11 a year or more ago, FSX was getting very prone to crashing, even the Steam edition, that has now been deleted from my machine. XPlane 11 has a very different way of working, modelling the effects of every surface of the plane, rather than using lookup tables like flight sim X or P3D. So XPlane just feels much more realistic. I wasn't impressed with several of the default planes, however I then discovered the Zibo mod. This person called Zibo has taken the default Boeing 737-800 and improved it to the point where real 737-800 NG pilots can't believe how realistic the plane and almost every system on it has been re-created. This mod is FREE. Take the Zibo 737-800, and Ortho scenery (Flying over photographic scenery from Google maps, add real-world weather using something like Active sky and you have the nearest you can get to being a real aircraft pilot. I don't have a cockpit in my front room, I can't afford that but some folk do. I use a Thrustmaster TM16000 flight system, (a joystick, with a separate throttle and a set of rudder pedal/brakes).
My problem is that my 11 year old PC can't keep up anymore. You need 20 fps to fly in real time, at best I get near 20 fps, at worst it drops below 10 with the Zibo, I need a PC, I also want to start using the Ortho scenery but you need to download it to a hard drive, a 738 NNG pilot who streams regularly has downloaded the Ortho for all of Europe but that fills a 7 terabyte drive!
Here is a video from my favourite Zibo (and real world) pilot, it is long, about 2 hours, with the first 35 minutes being the setup and programming. You can jump into a Cessna and just take off and fly in Xplane 11, but I love this here Zibo malarkey complete with cabin crew announcements, cleaner noises as you start the setup etc. Not sure if FD2S uses that on this video but it really adds heaps of realism.
Thanks for the info, B&B

FSX has been good enough for me to date, though I have often toyed with the idea of a new computer with a graphics card that can support 3 monitors and a cpu that can do all of the processing needed to do justice to XPlane. That all costs money though (particularly if you throw in some Thrustmaster kit for good measures). With bonuses out of the window for this year, I think I'll have to wait a while longer on this one - but some day.....

It has been ages since I've used FSX - time for a quick spin now I think!

The link seems to be missing to your "favourite Zibo (and real world) pilot" - could you point me in the right direction please?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

FranTastic444 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:32 am
FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am Just as a matter of interest, B&B, what is your favourite flight simulator?

Would love the space, budget, time, skill to be able to put together a flight sim with life-size cockpit, 'real' instruments and controls and some fancy-pants screens to give me a wrap-around view of the (virtual) outside world.
Hi, I switched to XPlane 11 a year or more ago, FSX was getting very prone to crashing, even the Steam edition, that has now been deleted from my machine. XPlane 11 has a very different way of working, modelling the effects of every surface of the plane, rather than using lookup tables like flight sim X or P3D. So XPlane just feels much more realistic. I wasn't impressed with several of the default planes, however I then discovered the Zibo mod. This person called Zibo has taken the default Boeing 737-800 and improved it to the point where real 737-800 NG pilots can't believe how realistic the plane and almost every system on it has been re-created. This mod is FREE. Take the Zibo 737-800, and Ortho scenery (Flying over photographic scenery from Google maps, add real-world weather using something like Active sky and you have the nearest you can get to being a real aircraft pilot. I don't have a cockpit in my front room, I can't afford that but some folk do. I use a Thrustmaster TM16000 flight system, (a joystick, with a separate throttle and a set of rudder pedal/brakes).
My problem is that my 11 year old PC can't keep up anymore. You need 20 fps to fly in real time, at best I get near 20 fps, at worst it drops below 10 with the Zibo, I need a PC, I also want to start using the Ortho scenery but you need to download it to a hard drive, a 738 NNG pilot who streams regularly has downloaded the Ortho for all of Europe but that fills a 7 terabyte drive!
Here is a video from my favourite Zibo (and real world) pilot, it is long, about 2 hours, with the first 35 minutes being the setup and programming. You can jump into a Cessna and just take off and fly in Xplane 11, but I love this here Zibo malarkey complete with cabin crew announcements, cleaner noises as you start the setup etc. Not sure if FD2S uses that on this video but it really adds heaps of realism.
Thanks for the info, B&B

FSX has been good enough for me to date, though I have often toyed with the idea of a new computer with a graphics card that can support 3 monitors and a cpu that can do all of the processing needed to do justice to XPlane. That all costs money though (particularly if you throw in some Thrustmaster kit for good measures). With bonuses out of the window for this year, I think I'll have to wait a while longer on this one - but some day.....

It has been ages since I've used FSX - time for a quick spin now I think!

The link seems to be missing to your "favourite Zibo (and real world) pilot" - could you point me in the right direction please?
Maybe the link was extracted by a 'bot or something, I will PM you a link to one of his most recent.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Unbelievable! Around 25 years ago when my daughter was small , I fenced off our garden pond and forgot about it. This lockdown has given me the chance to cut back the trees that had grown over it and bail out vast amounts of accumulated detritus It still holds water and it will survive.
:roll:
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I cleaner out a small corner down near the pond were I planted two raspberry plants a few years back now I have a small patch to pick out of this summer. I'm putting in a garden this year and have it tilled up and ready to plant. I'm also putting a new fence around the garden and making the area larger so that the fruit trees are in side the fence. I got the post in but I don't like the entree is so I'm going to pull a few post and move them over a few feet to make it better to get into the garden area. My hazel nuts and a pecan tree are planted on the upper side of the pond, I have two more pecan trees planted in the front yard that need to be dug up and moved down near the other pecan tree, they are over ten year old and only as tall as I am. I have been planting grape vines on the other side of the pond for a few years and have them trim and tied up in place. I have been working in the kitchen and living room off and on, when I take the time to work on it. I repair the floor and outside wall last year that had water damage from rain running down it, I put up the ceiling trim the other day and will do the back splash in the kitchen shortly and the floor once we agree what type of flooring we will put down.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Busy-busy BK !

Great detail and extremely rewarding when you get on top of it all......but that might well be in the autumn of 2120 !

Didn't see any mention of the banana trees, satsuma trees and of course, the Pineapple trees!!

Here MOH ordered us some 20 years ago, an 'Olde Englishe garden'....automatic version, so we were looking forward to sipping our Pimms no 1s and G&Ts on the terrace while the seasons unfolded in unbroken sequence before our eyes..........Some chance!

So for most of the intervening time we have been fighting a losing battle against the brambles, dandelions, Robin run-the-hedge, nettles, thistles, wild grasses and bird-borne dense canal reeds. A high proportion of original wooden fences, gates &c have also succumbed to our damp climate and rotted, so their replacement is ongoing....

Enjoy!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Kirbstone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm
Busy-busy BK !

Didn't see any mention of the banana trees, satsuma trees and of course, the Pineapple trees!!

The pond looks enchanting and relaxing; great skirt to enjoy -- but I wonder if you've been smoking some of those weeds you've been pulling with visions of Pineapple "trees"! :P
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Joke, FG.
When MOH had a fancy polytunnel installed up the North end of our garden in the Winter of '18-19 I joked that the guys delivering the pineapple tree had to take it away again on their lowloader, 'coz the tunnel didn't have enough headroom!!
Having seen fields of them cultivated on Grenada (W. Indies), it's going to require more than a few tectonic plate movements before we could grow 'em here! We're up on the 54th parallel and a polytunnel is a gift.

Pic taken early '19. We've had a crop of ceiling-high triffids off it since and last year's broccoli still yields.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

How about a splash of colour? They need lots of water when 'indoors' in the glasshouse.

Just found this pic. of the glasshouse door looking decidedly tatty. Pic. soon of recent transformation courtesy of a lick of white paint!

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Had to stick this one in, taken today (fine weather!)

Trick is to use each steady hand alternately using a half-inch artist's short brush and when the paint is set, run the scraper up & down the glass margin, so everything is straight-ish. Time-consuming, for sure, but it won't be done again for a good ten years.

Need to await re-opening of DIY outlets to obtain pre-formed white plastic angled covering strips & extrudable sealant for roof rafters....No painting needed up there then.

Tom