Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by howardfh »

Sympathies and best wishes to all concerned who have been laid low by the darned thing. meanwhile, photos of you at home killing the time would be appreciated (by me at least!).

Turned my front room into a pub...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coronavirus, how are you managing at home?

Post by Kirbstone »

At home currently there are six of us spanning three generations. Fortunately we have plenty of space both indoors and out with lots of leisure activities available. Indoor cinema, music room, ping-pong, snooker and some gym equipment. Outdoor badminton & croquet, campfire and limited boating on our little lake. Lots of large DIY projects underway also, so boredom doesn't get a look in.

Our big dogs need walking and we have square miles of moorland right on our doorstep for that.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

No skirts... staying in on this rainy day..

Just wearing my pajamas all day long.

As for my activities...

Shelter in place, SimCity 4 on the computer, Dr. House on the TV..

Life ain't so bad... as long as we stay healthy

#coronalife
20200331_151314_resize_51_compress67_resize_67_compress29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, the Massachusetts governor has extended the "shelter in place" order out until May, so I'm in the process of working out what my run-time-remaining is once the local economy completely collapses. Once that rather grim task is completed, I've got a laundry-list of books I want to either read or reread, and I still have computer projects on the table that can be completed from here so long as neither the computers nor the power cause any trouble.

I'm putting in a solid 10 to 12 hours a day for work, so hopefully the pay will continue to come in, but it's only a matter of time before that implodes as well.

I'm just hoping I can keep my sanity. At this point I don't care if I get sick with this damned thing, but that'd be unfair to my housemates as I'm "the puppy in the house" so I'm trying like mad not to contract it.

Another damn month -- and not a roll of toilet-paper in sight. (Or paper towels.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I'm doing my woodworking. I'm making a chest of drawers and the job is in its final stage, fronts for the drawers. It is replacing a existing chest that was desintegrating from years of overloading and ramming home unwilling drawers. The hardest part will be to sort out the contents of the old drawers and convincing my wife to dump what is no longer needed. ;)
IMG_0250qq.jpg
The footwear is not according to the safety rules, no steel tips. ;)

As long as I can get my groceries and wood, I have not much of a problem. As long as the virus stays outside.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I spent the morning replacing the gear case on our Maytag Bravos X. Maytag is not made well anymore. We purchased this machine a few years ago and the gear case went out already. Online searches say it is a common problem. At least it gave a chance to clean the machine.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I'm sleeping a lot, and reading everything I have in the house. What I should be doing, is working on some projects. Wish I had a cat.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I've been self-isolating for three weeks now.  When I wasn't feeling well, I lay on the bed and read books a lot, but since I recovered I have finished editing a magazine and sent the copy electronically to a printer, re-felted one of the sheds, recorded a wax cylinder for a customer, stocked up my own groceries and those of a neighbour, repaired a valve communications receiver and a sound mixer - and tomorrow I want to make a start on resurrecting a project I abandoned about a year ago: a home-designed intermodulation measuring set.

If I find I am in danger of getting bored I can always learn to crochet, it's something I have been meaning to do for a long while.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Somehow with working at home I have less time to watch Netflix :P

I have a million projects to work on (stuff I’m making), a barn to electrify, and basically squandered the past two weeks, so this weekend I am going to try and finish one project. Either the skirt alteration (will post here) or finish my restoration of a vintage radio.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Edinburgh festival off :(
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am carrying on with renovations within my crumbling empire. I spend one day a week publishing the local paper, probably the only regional paper in existence at present as all the others have closed shop - mainly due to lack of advertising. Ours is immune to that because it is run by volunteers.
I am used to going shopping once every 3 weeks as it is a 400km round trip - even that might cease for a while - luckily there is water in the river and the fish are biting (where did they come from?), I am growing veges (finding that some of my seeds are getting old and not viable) and I can shoot a wild goat if I am desperate (I hate killing things but will do it if necessary). I have enough tea leaf to last a year.
The biggest change is that I get few interuptions at home and my freshly roasted coffee lasts longer - (hmmm, that sounds like a negative).
I still buy things online (not only skirts; building fittings, car parts, books, etc.) - only now I have to make an appointment at the Post Office to pick up mail.
aeropostale_skirt_P3067021s.jpg
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I am working from home and I am just as busy as I would be if I went in to my office. I have caught a virus (a different one - different symptoms) but it's nothing serious and it should clear up in a few days.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am fighting boredom by working on my model trains reading some new books I just bought. They are the Midsomer Murder Mysteries series. Being on the computer for 3 to 4 hours a day. listening to my Pipe and Drum CD's and just overall taking it easy.

The biggest thing I am doing is trying to stay healthy and not catch this damn virus!!

I live in the country and have 50 acres to give me social distancing from the rest of the world for the most part (package delivery excepted).

So please everyone this is not something to play around with follow the guide lines even if you think they are too strict, the life you save might be mine.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

I am thankfully classed as an essential worker, working in a hardware shop so I am not at home. Store closed to the public just on-line orders and an annoying door bell to announce the arrival of people collecting their essential magnolia emulsion paint!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'm fortunate in that I'm in IT and can work from home. In fact, I've been so busy with my day job over the last 2 1/2 weeks that I've been housebound that I just haven't really had time to get bored or to have time to think much about these crazy times that we find ourselves in.

Our company has stated that they do not predict layoffs, so long as our Clients don't start going out of business (big financial companies, so hopefully they will not go the way of Lehman Bros.) We have been told to expect to work from home until at least June. Great then that I'm one of the fortunate ones who can continue to work and to get paid. Circa 20% of my take-home is bonus - pretty sure I won't be getting that this year, but in the grand scheme of things I've got it pretty good.

I've been skirted for work from this Monday (taking a risk that I won't absentmindedly stand up in front of the laptop, thus showing off my skirt to my co-workers on a video conference) and I hope to keep this up until we go back into the office (may need to buy some new gear as my wardrobe is seriously lacking in choice). Like a baseball or ice hockey player in postseason, I've not had a shave since our offices were shut down. Not sure if I will keep that one up all the way through to the point where we can get back to normal :-)