Medium / A Skirt is just a Skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Medium / A Skirt is just a Skirt

Post by Coder »

https://medium.com/the-public-ear/a-ski ... 13d22f2060

Short but to the point, and echoes some of the things people have said here:
With these examples of Jaden Smith, Harry Styles and fashion market places like Radimo La, Gender Fluid fashion is becoming more accepted in today’s mutable society. Maybe in the next 10 years we’ll see men wearing more skirts or even gender neutral clothing stores without a gender divide. If Facebook can cater for 58 different genders, anything is possible, right?
Uncle Al

Re: Medium / A Skirt is just a Skirt

Post by Uncle Al »

Interesting article, well worth reading :D
Then, YOU be the judge ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I noticed that in the last phoyo a woman is shown manspreading in a kilt. :D

Good article.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's gender fluidity for you! Or maybe that's what sitting on a high stool does for you.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I tried to give an encouraging comment, but didn't want to go through all the needed hoops. Anyone here a Medium member?
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I believe that revolution comes from the young, so, a refreshing and interesting article (other the reference to female clothing immediately after dismissing the idea of gendered clothing)

Whilst I accept the marketing implications, the idea that there needs to be a Gender-fluid fashion is, in a sense, bizarre. Is the dress that Jaden Smith wore both gender-fluid fashion and female fashion depending upon who is wearing it? The fact that it was ever female fashion is surely down the social construct of gender, which, as the article points out, was broken once before when women started wearing trousers.

The second world war also had a huge impact, not on fashion, but on the idea of gender roles. Whilst swathes of men were sent off to fight the "male" jobs that they performed were taken up, quite successfully, by women. For me I think I find it difficult to understand why society tries so hard to enforce a different set of rules and expectations upon each sex, thereby instilling a feeling of failure or inadequacy for many who can't or don't want to meet these conditions. Clothing has been one of those areas so let's hope that this apparent trend towards gender-fluidity continues.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:23 pm I noticed that in the last phoyo a woman is shown manspreading in a kilt. :D

Good article.
manspreading in a kilt

Not so much a kilt but a tartan skirt pleated all around and she is doing a adequate job of manspreading !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !