Why so many men chase skirts, but won’t wear them

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Why so many men chase skirts, but won’t wear them

Post by Coder »

First and foremost I would like to state that I do not read this magazine, or whatever it is today. Secondly, I do not like the title of the article, but I can’t rewrite what someone wrote, and the content of the article is interesting.

The article came up in a Google search and things would be amiss if I didn't post it:

https://www.playboy.com/read/men-in-skirts
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why so many men chase skirts, but won’t wear them

Post by moonshadow »

It’s obvious why women would want to wear pants: built-in pockets, coverage, creative expression, and so on. But a point unanimously agreed upon by the male friends I surveyed for this article (all with pretty uniformly feminist leanings, but varying levels of sartorial interest) is that dresses and skirts also have at least one objective up on their bifurcated counterparts: their capacity for superior crotch ventilation.
I'll finish reading it later, but a quick comment on this...

After 5 years of wearing skirts, I have to honestly say, I don't notice much of a difference in the crotch. I'm starting to think that's just "macho bull sh!t". "Look at me... my package is so hot I gotta wear a skirt!" :roll:

It does keep my legs considerably cooler on hot days, but honestly my skirts serve NO practical purpose in the late fall, winter, or early spring, other than to simply get in the way.

No, I'll "man up" and lay out the real reason I wear them... because I like them, I like the way they look.

More to follow... gotta get ready for work now.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am I'll finish reading it later, but a quick comment on this...

After 5 years of wearing skirts, I have to honestly say, I don't notice much of a difference in the crotch. I'm starting to think that's just "macho bull sh!t". "Look at me... my package is so hot I gotta wear a skirt!" :roll:

It does keep my legs considerably cooler on hot days, but honestly my skirts serve NO practical purpose in the late fall, winter, or early spring, other than to simply get in the way.
Totally agree! I always chuckle at those reasons, and honestly, I suspect loose shorts are just as effective except skirts will provide some amount of shade/UV blocking that bare legs cannot. Plus, I do want a modicum of decency about myself so always wear undergarments when skirted, negating the 'cool' aspect of them.
moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am No, I'll "man up" and lay out the real reason I wear them... because I like them, I like the way they look.
Amen!

And feel free to dissect the article to pieces. It doesn't add a whole lot to what has been discussed here, and I wish it went deeper into the cultural/historical aspects than it did. But it feels like a nice stepping stone for discussion :D
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sure, I like the look and adventure, but the crotch ventilation has enabled me to get rid of a long-standing skin irritation. I wear unbifurcated undergarments, which helps.

The point in the article of feminity being seen as inferior among men is valid, I think.
Nora Whelan wrote:“The fact is we live in a society where masculinity is not just the default, but is also given more value than femininity,” says Barber. “That’s why it’s at least generally pretty safe for girls to call themselves ‘tomboys’ and wear jeans, but a boy wearing a skirt or dress is viewed as a betrayal, which then becomes a justification for bullying or violence.