Bride gets to grips with skirt-wearing man

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bride gets to grips with skirt-wearing man

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:15 am Children? Why on the gods' green Earth would any ethical feeling human being bring a child into today's world? That I cannot fathom.
To help improve this sad world. For example, my son is working in conflict transformation.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:15 am
moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:34 pmWhy is this?
This is a likely hangover from the days when, once married, women entered a supporting role for their husbands who worked outside the home (the old "hunter" role) and brought home a salary that could support the entire family. However, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

The ground truth of today is pretty much, "one salary, one adult" which means that both partners are working full time (or beyond) to make ends meet (or at least try to). Given the new paradigm, one would think that the old notions would fade away, but sometimes it's the simplest of things that are the most difficult to get rid of.

In the modern world, you'd think the linking of a partnership would be overtly celebrated by both, for the benefit of both -- because both are going to have to be equal players. If the partnership passes the decade mark -- because most won't -- it should be cause for an outright bash if finances allow. Ones that span 50+ years I rather suspect are an extinct species, or very nearly so; those are the ones to really cherish.

Children? Why on the gods' green Earth would any ethical feeling human being bring a child into today's world? That I cannot fathom.
In this, I think our attitudes are similar. I know that if I was going to be married, and my fiancee started planning a mega wedding, it would get called off pretty quick.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pmI know that if I was going to be married, and my fiancee started planning a mega wedding, it would get called off pretty quick.
Anecdotally, at least, it seems that the longevity of the marriage in inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pmTo help improve this sad world. For example, my son is working in conflict transformation.
That's a laudable goal to be certain, but it requires the new member of the human race to not become entirely disillusioned with what he perceives whilst growing into adulthood where one finally gets some measure of power (or at least used to). That's a very big hill to take in this day and age.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm
partlyscot wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pmI know that if I was going to be married, and my fiancee started planning a mega wedding, it would get called off pretty quick.
Anecdotally, at least, it seems that the longevity of the marriage in inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding.
I hope you are right. Our wedding was held at a favorite restaurant of my wife and her gang. We had 35 guests (family, friends and coworkers) and everybody loved it.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm
crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:15 am Children? Why on the gods' green Earth would any ethical feeling human being bring a child into today's world? That I cannot fathom.
To help improve this sad world. For example, my son is working in conflict transformation.
Well... let's just shoot straight, we are nowhere near advanced enough to start colonizing other planets, and our education system is moving backward.

As it stands, the only reason we're not starving to death is we haven't run low on fossil fuels yet. Simply put, without machines (which run primarily on fossil fuels) I'd say we couldn't sustain a population much more than what we had prior to the industrial revolution.

When the oil and coal run low or out, it will be a world crisis beyond biblical proportion. It may not be for a few hundred years yet, but when it happens, I'd hate to be around.

Combine that with shifting climate and other nasties like mutating viruses, and bacteria that are immune from penicillin, and we're back in the dark ages... Imagine the world population shrinking from 15 to 20 billion to a few hundred million in one generation!

I think humanity has about run its course. I'd say sometime during this millennium, the species will go extinct.

Right now we're in our zenith... enjoy it... wear a skirt... tomorrow may never come!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I bet you lot are fun at parties.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm I bet you lot are fun at parties.
What's a party? Never heard of this thing you speak of!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Nah.. all jokes aside, I'm actually pretty pleasant in the real world and a lot of people seem to enjoy my company.

I reserve my rants, doom and gloom for the internet... because that's really about the only thing the internet is good for... well that and saving money on stamps.

But really, I couldn't care less about the future. There's nothing I can do to change it, and I've got about at most, 40 years to go on this rock, and I'm sure she'll hold until then... after that... let it burn for all I care...! 8)
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But before I get judged a hard man, I still have compassion and empathy, and I offer my sincere best wishes for people of tomorrow.

My heart aches when I observe despair, pain, and suffering. But humans seem bound and determined to destroy themselves.

Hey... don't hate on my for my opinion on humanity, Yahweh had such a problem with people, the story goes he basically drown the world save for one family and he's one of the most worshipped deities in the western world!

And apparently... he loves people too. I get it... totally... No really... I'm not even being sarcastic. I completely understand what was likely going through the mind of the guy that wrote Genesis.

People suck... love them anyway

Earth is better off without people... but until they kill themselves off... love them anyway.

I got it...

But I can't imagine why God would want a bunch of humans piled up in heaven... raiding the refrigerator and peeing all over the toilet seats... I personally think he's crazy... but who am I to question the all mighty!? :lol: :alien:
-Andrea
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

:thumleft: Well said!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 pm
But I can't imagine why God would want a bunch of humans piled up in heaven... raiding the refrigerator and peeing all over the toilet seats... I personally think he's crazy... but who am I to question the all mighty!?

Well, my understanding is that those that inherit eternal life will be willing transformed, changed from their current messed up state into something much better.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 pm
But I can't imagine why God would want a bunch of humans piled up in heaven... raiding the refrigerator and peeing all over the toilet seats... I personally think he's crazy... but who am I to question the all mighty!?

Well, my understanding is that those that inherit eternal life will be willing transformed, changed from their current messed up state into something much better.
Well... maybe, and that's easy to imagine, after all humans really have nowhere to go but up...

As for a vast improvement? Well now that would be a formidable task. I vex over how such an all knowing entity could let things get so far out of hand... I'm starting to think he shouldn't have gave Noah the instructions on how to build the boat... Fail no. 2 :wink:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:29 pmRight now we're in our zenith... enjoy it... wear a skirt... tomorrow may never come!
We're likely past it -- and, yes, I can be quite a lot of fun at parties.

Many of the issues that Moon speaks to seem largely confined to the USA -- at least the technological, sociological, and educational ones.

The biological ones, on the other hand, not really so much. We've not only overused antibiotics in the past, we continue to overuse anti-microbials as well and in so doing are creating "super-bugs" thanks to evolution (and, yes, I know that's an evil word). This cuts across many cultures today. However, and we should face it, the lowest bacterium or virus has absolutely as much right to occupy this ecosystem as do homo-sapiens. This does not mean that we do not have a right -- and a responsibility -- to protect ourselves: we do; however, we're not going to be able to drive viruses or microbes -- or even mosquitoes -- extinct. Evolution applies to them even more than it applies to us, because they can adapt faster due to their comparative simplicity. Bluntly, the more we kill the stronger the survivors will be.

I've got some personal history in this -- partly that I entirely likely should have died from chronic infection when I was less than ten years of age. The "bugs" weren't responding well to the common drugs then available -- and nobody saw the portents for the future with a paediatric case from a small New England town.

I suspect we hit the zenith either in the late 1960s (if one wants to count manned spaceflight) or in the pre- World War One years in the 19-teens. Either one of those make for good cut-points. But whatever, we're well past it now, at least where I dwell.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's a good thing we can't drive bacteria extinct... without them... we die.

The only reason our digestive system works at all is thanks in part to bacteria.

I'm not sure what good viruses are, other than Nature's population control, but nevertheless, I agree, we all (as in all living creatures and things) have a duty for survival.

I rather find wisdom in that line from the Matrix where humans are compared to viruses... Indeed we do seem to share a lot in common.
-Andrea