Bride gets to grips with skirt-wearing man

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Bride gets to grips with skirt-wearing man

Post by howardfh »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... asculinity
This was not the first time I’d found myself a little uncomfortable with the sight of Ian in women’s wear. It’s not an unusual sight to spot him sporting a skirt, dress, or sarong at a party, picnic, or trailhead. He uses his unconventional apparel as a display of his individuality and a reflection of his fondness for fun. I adore both of those qualities, but I was realizing I was less fond of seeing them exhibited through floral numbers or tight sequined garments or wedding dresses.

While it was attraction-at-first sight with Ian, his closet full of feminine gear put a tiny dent in his desirability from the very beginning of our relationship. Not enough to stop me from acting on my huge crush, but enough to notice there was an unexpected disconnect between what I thought I was OK with a man wearing, and what I actually found appealing on his body.
Think she's trying to be supportive bus still can't get her head round...well, I dunno, what male "masculinity" is (I suppose)?

Thoughts?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bride gets to grips with skirt-wearing man

Post by Freedomforall »

There seems to be a conflict that is ongoing in the minds of some women. The story reflects sentiments I have heard my entire life, and that is men should be more sensitive, etc. Yet, when presented with a man who is more sensitive, women seem to not be able to handle it.

Further, I resent the attitude of "we can wear what we please." However, men must wear what we want them to.
I am glad that she is accepting to some degree.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

An excellent article and I assume reflects what MOH feels. She is supportive in some ways yet can utter some really hurtful remarks about my skirt wearing at a particularly vulnerable time. Food for thought. :?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Good article... food for thought.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

The funny/sad/best part of this is that my first reaction upon clicking the article was, "I WANT THAT DRESS!" :)
Ralph!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

It was a bit of zany fun and I am glad she saw it as such - or at least I think she did.

The writer didn't need to turn it into an ideological point and I hope that wasn't what she was hoping to achieve. I don't want to sound cynical, but I am always suspicious when The Guardian prints stuff like this as there is so often a subtext of man-hating feminism.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

After reading the article I believe she is really trying to be honest and supportive of her boy friend and men. I really don't see anything of the toxic femininity in the article. She realizes that she is the problem, she is fighting her up bringing and previous brain washing and her newer ideals.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

It is shocking when your boyfriend wants to wear a dress. It shouldn't be, but I have problem with me wearing dresses.

At the close of the article, it seems she's worked through her issues though. She had questioned why she had difficulty accepting it, which is fair enough, but has come to understand it, and get over it. Overall, a positive article.

Edit: Try thinking about it this way. I would like it if my GF had a nice figure, and dressed to show it off. But there is no way I'm going to try and insist on that if she is not of a mind to. My ex does have a nice figure and will occasionally dress up, but for the most part, dresses fairly simply, and not very revealing. If I had tried to tell her otherwise, we wouldn't have stayed together very long.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But I found myself unexpectedly uneasy with his new fondness for feminine frocks – a reaction that challenged the progressive ideals I’d prided myself on for decades. I’d long thought I was contributing to a progressive shift in how we define masculinity, finally allowing men to be emotional and vulnerable, or to ask for help, or to hug their male friends … or to wear dresses
Heheh.... yep... that's the difference between reading the manual and actually getting your hands in the machine!

Ahhh... progressive women... all fun and games until hubby comes home in a wedding dress!

Ehhhehehe.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:19 am
But I found myself unexpectedly uneasy with his new fondness for feminine frocks – a reaction that challenged the progressive ideals I’d prided myself on for decades. I’d long thought I was contributing to a progressive shift in how we define masculinity, finally allowing men to be emotional and vulnerable, or to ask for help, or to hug their male friends … or to wear dresses
Heheh.... yep... that's the difference between reading the manual and actually getting your hands in the machine!

Ahhh... progressive women... all fun and games until hubby comes home in a wedding dress!

I like your analogy Moon!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:24 am
moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:19 am

I like your analogy Moon!
Yeah... it does fit pretty good doesn't it?

"Ahh ghee, the Haynes manual made replacing this clutch seem so easy!"

Seriously though, my wife has shared similar feelings with me. She admits its not very attractive, but tries to be supportive nevertheless.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:20 pm It was a bit of zany fun and I am glad she saw it as such - or at least I think she did.

The writer didn't need to turn it into an ideological point and I hope that wasn't what she was hoping to achieve. I don't want to sound cynical, but I am always suspicious when The Guardian prints stuff like this as there is so often a subtext of man-hating feminism.
If it was a dress for the big day - I wouldn't want to steal attention from the bride... but if it was a bit of fun, then no harm done. She said she has been used to him wearing an array of skirts and dresses - though as the guy I'd mix it up even with regular bland mens wear. I wouldn't have skirts replace everything, but just as an option alongside trousers and shorts :| sometimes you do just feel like throwing a pair of jeans on :shock: :roll: Interesting that theres no comments section either :|
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's a curious custom that the bride is expected to receive all of the attention on a wedding day. And that it's considered "her day".

This is not a rant, just mentioning a curious custom...

Why is this?
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:34 pm It's a curious custom that the bride is expected to receive all of the attention on a wedding day. And that it's considered "her day".

This is not a rant, just mentioning a curious custom...

Why is this?
Found this:

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-for ... 0842c.html
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:34 pmWhy is this?
This is a likely hangover from the days when, once married, women entered a supporting role for their husbands who worked outside the home (the old "hunter" role) and brought home a salary that could support the entire family. However, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

The ground truth of today is pretty much, "one salary, one adult" which means that both partners are working full time (or beyond) to make ends meet (or at least try to). Given the new paradigm, one would think that the old notions would fade away, but sometimes it's the simplest of things that are the most difficult to get rid of.

In the modern world, you'd think the linking of a partnership would be overtly celebrated by both, for the benefit of both -- because both are going to have to be equal players. If the partnership passes the decade mark -- because most won't -- it should be cause for an outright bash if finances allow. Ones that span 50+ years I rather suspect are an extinct species, or very nearly so; those are the ones to really cherish.

Children? Why on the gods' green Earth would any ethical feeling human being bring a child into today's world? That I cannot fathom.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!