Wendy Williams backlash over "men in skirts and heels"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Wendy Williams backlash over "men in skirts and heels"

Post by new2skirts »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... heels.html

Not going down well after talk show host Wendy singled out men for wearing skirts and heels... although she went for the typical cliche of gays wearing skirts and heels (most gay men do not :roll: ) she is facing an incredible backlash... ironically she wore trousers / pants for that show.

Men across the world should respond by wearing a skirt and / or heels in defiance :twisted:

Not sure if this got in US media but it's been picked up on here by UK papers :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wendy Williams backlash over "men in skirts and heels"

Post by moonshadow »

Ooohhhh... this woman I've never heard of until today has a problem with guys wearing skirts....

Well everybody kneel before her majesty....

Not!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Her opinion isn't worth the time it takes to read it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Never heard of her. She seems to be a bit of a mindless moron though.

Moving on...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

1) The Daily Wail. What did one expect?
2) Who? Why should I care?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Never heard of her until this, which was probably why she said it. I hope never to hear of her again. Someone with her appearance should first cast the beam out of her own eye.
I wonder just what her qualifications are for postulating on how others should conduct their lives? I have my opinions on Botox and breast enhancements but would never think of telling her what to do.
:roll:
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I watched the video. Wendy Wiliams is entertainment for a mostly female audience. She usually says it like it is. But I think this was more for comic value and not a serious statement. I wasn't offended by it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was really trying to avoid watching the video, or commenting, but with Brad's reaction compared to the others... I felt like I needed to form my own opinion. Since I'm in the US I've never heard of her - not sure what country she broadcasts from (somewhat sarc - I had to look her up, evidently US-based, sigh).

I'm more of a 'meh' in that I'm not so much offended as it was a stupid comment, probably she was trying to be funny in the moment. I think new2skirt's observation - she was wearing pants at the time hits it on the head. If you think about it, women kinda sorta appropriated men's clothing over time, especially pants (though there might be some controversy over that statement - I seem to recall pants starting off as women's wear but can't find the reference).

BUT, I don't think she was really referring to clothing per-se, especially with the biological reference she led with. I just think it is REALLY easy to use the word "skirt" to refer to female-specific things in western culture. I mean, let's be honest, it's a slang term for a woman (though I NEVER use it myself, I've heard it on 70's throwback TV). There are unfortunate 'codings' about this specific garb.

Still... maybe someone should start a twitter campaign to prove to her that real men will wear skirts whether or not she likes it :P Like, "The skirt challenge". But, obviously, it would be short lived and mocked on national TV.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Wendy is on E! Entertainment, home of quality shows like the Kardashians :roll: I think the US term is "shock jock" - like Howard Stern... says things for shock value - and once it's out there, is happy for any sort of publicity. Has a car-crash life, separated / divorce, but very messy and public. Had some sort of meltdown and so was off-air for a few weeks a couple of years ago. Though she was commenting that it was 'gay men' who should leave skirts and heels alone, as "what do women have left?!" (I would have said, wearing slacks / trousers and pretty much anything they like :roll: ) - it just seemed like an odd article to spring out from the Daily Mail :?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

new2skirts wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 pmWendy is on E! Entertainment, home of quality shows like the Kardashians :roll: I think the US term is "shock jock" - like Howard Stern... says things for shock value - and once it's out there, is happy for any sort of publicity. Has a car-crash life, separated / divorce, but very messy and public. Had some sort of meltdown and so was off-air for a few weeks a couple of years ago. Though she was commenting that it was 'gay men' who should leave skirts and heels alone, as "what do women have left?!" (I would have said, wearing slacks / trousers and pretty much anything they like :roll: ) - it just seemed like an odd article to spring out from the Daily Mail :?
It sounds like a perfect fit to me!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I hadn't heard of Wendy Williams until this, but it strikes me that she's not in a strong position to criticize other people's appearance: in those photos, she looks like a caricature of Miss Piggy.

BTW, it's been observed in the UK that the Mail is keen to boost its online revenues in North America to compensate for falling newspaper sales at home.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

geron wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 pm I hadn't heard of Wendy Williams until this, but it strikes me that she's not in a strong position to criticize other people's appearance: in those photos, she looks like a caricature of Miss Piggy.

BTW, it's been observed in the UK that the Mail is keen to boost its online revenues in North America to compensate for falling newspaper sales at home.
It's like the National Enquirer with a bit of sports and politics. Obsession with weather, soccer when England reach quarter finals of any event, what's left of the Royal Family is usual fare... hence the nickname Daily Fail
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Wendy Williams is a minor league US Daytime talk show host.
Her comments she made appear to be homophobic to me, but what do I know.

I do know that this is her opinion and it has zero worth in the real world.

:ugeek:
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

gay men 'should stop wearing our skirts and heels'

Note the use of the determiner "our". So how about straight women stopping wearing "our" trousers/pants?

The woman is a hypocrite. We can and should distinguish between the sexes in dress, but the idea that an item of clothing so basic as a skirt - a simple tube around the waist and part or all of the legs, can be appropriated by half the population for their exclusive use is not just unreasonable - it is absurd.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:37 pm gay men 'should stop wearing our skirts and heels'

Note the use of the determiner "our". So how about straight women stopping wearing "our" trousers/pants?

The woman is a hypocrite. We can and should distinguish between the sexes in dress, but the idea that an item of clothing so basic as a skirt - a simple tube around the waist and part or all of the legs, can be appropriated by half the population for their exclusive use is not just unreasonable - it is absurd.
+1

She also appropriated trousers (slacks) whilst having this rant... a very confused and blinkered individual :lol: