Skirts and health?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Skirts and health?

Post by skirtedbrit »

A recent BBC programme 'Trust me I'm a doctor' featured a piece that could be relevant to us skirt wearers.
When we are born our bodies have a large proportion of brown fat cells which burn up calories to keep our small bodies warm. As we grow up we lose much of this brown fat except to an area around our neck. The presenter (a doctor) had her arm cooled and we saw before and after thermal infrared images clearly showing how cooling activated the brown fat cells. The argument was that increased calorie burn had potential to control weight and have benefits for diabetics. If medicine could enhance this process then substantial health benefits could be achieved.
As a skirt wearing hill walker could the large area of cooling on my legs be doubly stimulating for this effect? I was out walking the day of the programme in temperatures of about 7c for over 5 hours.
I have always noticed the benefits of hill walking both physically and mentally but could this be another effect which may have helped me to control my (genetic) diabetes? There appears to be a negative effect of trouser wearing on the testes, so skirt wearing could be doubly benefical for us guys!
The arguments for men wearing skirts get stronger all the time.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts and health?

Post by new2skirts »

skirtedbrit wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:34 am A recent BBC programme 'Trust me I'm a doctor' featured a piece that could be relevant to us skirt wearers.
When we are born our bodies have a large proportion of brown fat cells which burn up calories to keep our small bodies warm. As we grow up we lose much of this brown fat except to an area around our neck. The presenter (a doctor) had her arm cooled and we saw before and after thermal infrared images clearly showing how cooling activated the brown fat cells. The argument was that increased calorie burn had potential to control weight and have benefits for diabetics. If medicine could enhance this process then substantial health benefits could be achieved.
As a skirt wearing hill walker could the large area of cooling on my legs be doubly stimulating for this effect? I was out walking the day of the programme in temperatures of about 7c for over 5 hours.
I have always noticed the benefits of hill walking both physically and mentally but could this be another effect which may have helped me to control my (genetic) diabetes? There appears to be a negative effect of trouser wearing on the testes, so skirt wearing could be doubly benefical for us guys!
The arguments for men wearing skirts get stronger all the time.
Sounds all the more reason to me! We could market the denim ones as "legless shorts" to those scared to use the 's' word :mrgreen:

Reason for edit : typo :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Some years ago there was an article in I believe the Scottish Guardian or so. It revered to research executed by a Dutch doctor with the Erasmus Universiteit who had done research on the effects of skirt wearing, or as it was for Scotland kilt wearing, and indicated that such would be much healthier. I'm not sure if I've downloaded it.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Gusto10 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm Some years ago there was an article in I believe the Scottish Guardian or so. It revered to research executed by a Dutch doctor with the Erasmus Universiteit who had done research on the effects of skirt wearing, or as it was for Scotland kilt wearing, and indicated that such would be much healthier. I'm not sure if I've downloaded it.
I'd love to have a copy of that to show my beloved wife. Though I'm not sure it would make a difference. :(
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Greenboots, YOH's opposition is likely emotionally based and no amount of logical argument will make even a dent in that opposition. I know. I have come across many articles advocating male skirt wearing and MOH isn't even remotely interested in looking at them. I have tried to interest her in them to no avail. So don't get your hopes up.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

greenboots wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Gusto10 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm Some years ago there was an article in I believe the Scottish Guardian or so. It revered to research executed by a Dutch doctor with the Erasmus Universiteit who had done research on the effects of skirt wearing, or as it was for Scotland kilt wearing, and indicated that such would be much healthier. I'm not sure if I've downloaded it.
I'd love to have a copy of that to show my beloved wife. Though I'm not sure it would make a difference. :(
Will try to retrieve it: https://repub.eur.nl/pub/67542
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Gusto10 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm
greenboots wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Will try to retrieve it: https://repub.eur.nl/pub/67542
Sounds good enough to me!! :bom:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...