Interesting article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting article

Post by Freedomforall »

I found this article rather interesting. I do however, disagree with the author's view of clothing being attached to sexuality.
My wife is a proofreader by trade. She read the article and found many grammatical errors. Just a heads up for those who have refined grammar skills.

https://www.queercut.com/qc-blog/2018/1 ... omens-wear
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Interesting article

Post by crfriend »

The circuit-breaker tripped at the coded term "hegemonic masculinity" and that was that. The author clearly has an axe to grind and does do so well and truly. That's about five minutes I'm never going to get back and should have let it go before finishing the first paragraph.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 pm The circuit-breaker tripped at the coded term "hegemonic masculinity" and that was that. The author clearly has an axe to grind and does do so well and truly. That's about five minutes I'm never going to get back and should have let it go before finishing the first paragraph.
That was our sentiments as well. I do however think it could be valuable to know the agendas being pushed.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I read the first paragraph and skimmed down the pages to the bottom. Five minutes, tops. The whole look, feel and use of language counted against any desire to continue reading. So can't really comment on content but interesting is not one of the descriptions I would apply to the article.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I'm glad I saw this discussion before wasting my time reading the article. Sounds horrible!
Ralph!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bad enough that it's overwritten, the grammatical errors make it all but unreadable and from there it verges on the incomprehensible.

I took the plunge after reading everyone else's commentaries on it and gave up on it about one-third of the way through, convinced, as one of my socio-logy professors said of a book he mentioned in class that it suffers from "an overblown thesis."

Or perhaps it buries an often stated point under overblown verbiage, one way or another, I agree with Carl, your time's better spent doing almost anything else, including watching "(un)reality" TV!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I almost didn't read it but glad that I did, avoiding dismissing something through other's opinions. I thought it was a reasonable proposition; "Equalizing womenswear and menswear into what would essentially be a single stream of ‘humanswear’ or ‘individualswear’, as it were, however, is not and will not be particularly easy.", something I believe has been promoted here many a time.
I don't agree with all the reasoning but have no problem with the term hegemonic masculinity.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

A simple concept presented as a pseudo academic treatise. I wonder whether he had to write a given number of words to get credits.
:roll: