Fast Company / What will it take for more men to wear skirts?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Fast Company / What will it take for more men to wear skirts?

Post by Coder »

Unfortunately, it doesn't really answer the question, just ends with a note about a high-end designer who is designing "unisex" clothes. But, worth a read, a bit of male hate, but that is expected.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90338438/wh ... ear-skirts
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fast Company / What will it take for more men to wear skirts?

Post by moonshadow »

What will it take for men to wear skirts?

A shot of unobtainium

A quart of "don't give a damn"

And a can of whoop-ass
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I don't expect mainstream men to start wearing anything new. I don't remember any real fashion change in men's clothing in the last 20 years at least.

That doesn't bother me, I still wear my Kilts, Skirts, leggings, and pants other than jeans or slacks all the time.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

What will it take? Having nothing to lose.

Most men have things decent and fear things will get worse if they change something. Whether that's what the wife/girlfriend will think, to would they no longer be taken seriously at work, the point is, most men look practically at their obligations, and don't what to risk the things that seem to be going okay.

Young men who don't have anyone depending on them, and old men who are financially independent (retired) are most of the ones on here who actually do something. The ones with nothing to lose...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 am Young men who don't have anyone depending on them, and old men who are financially independent (retired) are most of the ones on here who actually do something. The ones with nothing to lose...
2015, 34 years old, renting, paycheck by paycheck, car payment, uncertain about wives support, kid in high school, working for a southern conservative Christian company with no diversity policy, etc...

Why?

Because... They tell me I live in a free society. I said, "prove it".

Conclusion:
39 years old
Landlord defended me to other tenants
Still managing financially (no worse off)
Car's paid off
Wife supports and even buys me skirts from time to time
Kid graduated
Left southern conservative Christian company on my own terms, went to work for a more progressive company
Southern conservative Christian company offered me my job back (Oct 2019), took me to dinner, and even said I would wear a skirt [to the dinner] if I wanted.
Accepted the invite, spoke with my old boss, made peace with him, but ultimately decided to stay where I'm at.
I wore pants out of respect, and we're friends again.

Moral of the story: Grow a pair and do it. You never know what doors may open.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 amSouthern conservative Christian company offered me my job back (Oct 2019), took me to dinner, and even said I would wear a skirt [to the dinner] if I wanted.
Accepted the invite, spoke with my old boss, made peace with him, but ultimately decided to stay where I'm at.
It sounds like life is pretty good right now for you, Moon, and that makes this old fart happy. Well done. Congrats especially on the development with your old boss. Sometimes things like that can have profound consequences deep into the future.
Indeed. However, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" remains a good strategy -- in almost everything. (including the wurst)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24 am Indeed. However, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" remains a good strategy -- in almost everything. (including the wurst)
That's true, but we did have backup strategies, and as you all know well, it wasn't easy and without its share of drama and stress.

All I absolutely require is another day. As long as there is a fresh day in my future then I know I have a clean slate to work with. My primary concern at the time was Amber finishing school. I had her set up with my mother under a worse case scenario.

Jenn and I planned to look for work in any of the 50 states and completley start over if need be. It was almost exciting.

One ideal I try to live by is that I refuse to be somebody's victim. You can call me any derogatory name you want but don't call me an victim. To do so means that somebody has succeeded in getting the better of me.

I know I've been a bit of a sour puss lately, but that's just because of the retarded rhetoric I'm witnessing with people in general obsessing over current events. As you may already know, things are changing dramatically around here [Virginia] and its bringing out the worst in people.

Deep down though I still feel good about my own situation.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 am
Dust wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 am Young men who don't have anyone depending on them, and old men who are financially independent (retired) are most of the ones on here who actually do something. The ones with nothing to lose...
2015, 34 years old, renting, paycheck by paycheck, car payment, uncertain about wives support, kid in high school, working for a southern conservative Christian company with no diversity policy, etc...

You've always had my support oh sure it may take me a little while to process change but nonetheless I'm always going to have your back and support you.You never have to question that.

Why?

Because... They tell me I live in a free society. I said, "prove it".

Conclusion:
39 years old
Landlord defended me to other tenants
Still managing financially (no worse off)
Car's paid off
Wife supports and even buys me skirts from time to time
Kid graduated
Left southern conservative Christian company on my own terms, went to work for a more progressive company
Southern conservative Christian company offered me my job back (Oct 2019), took me to dinner, and even said I would wear a skirt [to the dinner] if I wanted.

You'll always have my support. It may take me a few days to adjust to new things but I'll never give up on supporting you. I'll always have your back.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Regarding Dust's comments, somebody once posted that change comes with the young.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:14 amRegarding Dust's comments, somebody once posted that change comes with the young.
The problem here is that the young do have a lot to lose -- like their future -- if they goof up. Hence, the young tend not to push the sorts of boundaries we're pushing here. As a case in point, there's no way in creation that I would have fiddled with style and fashion the way I do now when I was in my 20s. The risks were too great, and I was smart enough then to know it. I had a hard enough fight getting accepted into a world of middle-agers as a technical peer; there was no way I was going to push any farther than that.

Face it, fashion is chicken-sh!t compared to the ability to earn a living -- and the youngsters know that very well. Call the kids what you may, but they're not stupid.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 am The problem here is that the young do have a lot to lose -- like their future -- if they goof up. Hence, the young tend not to push the sorts of boundaries we're pushing here. As a case in point, there's no way in creation that I would have fiddled with style and fashion the way I do now when I was in my 20s. The risks were too great, and I was smart enough then to know it. I had a hard enough fight getting accepted into a world of middle-agers as a technical peer; there was no way I was going to push any farther than that.
The college students where I work dress like jeans+sneakers drones for the most part (as do I right now :P), but on career day they magically transform into suited mini-versions of corporate execs. It's hilarious - the only difference one day from the next is how they clothe themselves, but in no way (do I think at least) does this change who they are. I think it is silly, and chuckle at the ones that interview with Facebook etc... as those companies tend to send casually dressed recruiters (polo shirts). In fact, some of the auto companies do jeans and polos, which sort of surprises me.

I've seen ONE male wearing a knee-length flowey flowered skirt ONCE my entire time working at the uni, it was this summer, and one of the triggering events that brought me back to the fold. Also, in a meeting onetime for all the departments within the building, a contingent of non-binary people sat together at a table, but even within their clique they appeared to stick to tried and true non-binaryness (pink hair / soulless jeans / colorful tops). Granted, I'm on an engineering campus, FWIW.

I don't mean to be rude - but I really don't see boundaries being pushed among the "young", at least in engineering/science.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 am[... O]n [campus] career day [the jeans+sneakers drones] magically transform into suited mini-versions of corporate execs.
I'm also quite sure that they do it rather incompetently because they have no context in that sphere for reference. To them, it's like trying to find north without a compass or knowledge of the stars. Of note is that it's even worse for the gals. They may decide to wear skirts or dresses on the day -- and may not have even the remotest clue as to how to handle the rigs. Imagine a jeans+sneakers+t-shirt girl trying to master a dress and heels all in one go in one day. [1]
It's hilarious - the only difference one day from the next is how they clothe themselves, but in no way (do I think at least) does this change who they are. I think it is silly, and chuckle at the ones that interview with Facebook etc... as those companies tend to send casually dressed recruiters (polo shirts). In fact, some of the auto companies do jeans and polos, which sort of surprises me.
Of course the clothes won't change the behaviour; they know of no other patterns. As far as the interviewers go, if I was faced with somebody in casual/grunge attire at an interview I'd highly likely walk away.

It's been said, based on some of my images, that I present an imposing figure. There's something to be said for that, but when I "suit up" I am formidable. The interesting thing, though, is that my behaviour doesn't change all that much. I am precisely as serious and businesslike when I'm wearing the silliest of skirts as when I'm wearing Male Corporate Armour.
I really don't see boundaries being pushed among the "young", at least in engineering/science.
I don't either -- and that's actually somewhat sad as the kids have a lot to offer because they haven't been "hardened" into certain thought-patterns and truly do tend to "think outside the box". However, the kids also know their place and likely won't rock the boat over silly little bits like oddball sartorial styles the way their elders can.

[1] High-school prom time is almost always hilarious around here. My old local also doubled as a function facility, and they hosted a few proms each year. Each time, I got more than a few laughs out of watching the girls who grew up in jeans trying -- and failing -- to deal with their gowns. I am positive that I've annoyed more than my share of teenage girls because I can handle a floor-length skirt with aplomb and have been known to sweep past some of the more hapless on the way inside. (I am told that my 6'4" frame at speed in a floor-sweeper is "something to behold". I have no video, so I have to use my imagination. It's even more astonishing in tight/low-headroom environs.)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:[1] High-school prom time is almost always hilarious around here. My old local also doubled as a function facility, and they hosted a few proms each year. Each time, I got more than a few laughs out of watching the girls who grew up in jeans trying -- and failing -- to deal with their gowns. I am positive that I've annoyed more than my share of teenage girls because I can handle a floor-length skirt with aplomb and have been known to sweep past some of the more hapless on the way inside. (I am told that my 6'4" frame at speed in a floor-sweeper is "something to behold". I have no video, so I have to use my imagination. It's even more astonishing in tight/low-headroom environs.)
Might be worth setting up a camera and checking it out!! :D
In low head room areas it might look like an apparition gliding through the nether world..... :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Moon, you are exceptional. Starting when you did took guts. Jenn's a lucky gal to have you. But even you don't wear at work. Still, you are the exception to what I am talking about.

I started out as a college kid pushing the boundaries very carefully. I took the Utilikilt route, as it seemed safer at the time. But now in my early 30's, some dozen years or so later, I still wear them only on my time, not at work.

Most of the guys here who wear to work and/or wear full time are late career with nothing to prove, or they are retired. Occasionally young guys come through, but most don't last. That was my point.

Coder, your comments about the state of things on campus are a bit disappointing, but still unsurprising. Hopefully you can be the spark for someone else, the way that one guy you saw was for you.

CR, the "Male Corporate Armor" quip struck me. All the talk of interviews made the true state of things come back, that at the end of the day, every guy has the dark colored suit in the back of their closet, and many an occasion simply demands it, no matter how casual and accepting society at large gets.

Women have broken this to a large extent, but they never had it as bad as guys do. Women are also not traditionally the bread winner, so they have less to lose.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am Women have broken this to a large extent, but they never had it as bad as guys do. Women are also not traditionally the bread winner, so they have less to lose.
I guess... but I think it’s hard for us to really get a sense of what the other side faces. That is, while our fashion choices are limited, to some degree we have more freedom in the sense that we wont’t be criticized for our appearance. That is, I get up in the morning, shave, shower, wash my hair (ok, not every day, but I’m not a slob), and brush my hair while I drive to work. I’ll admit sometimes my shirt is wrinkled. Some of my non-attention is that I don’t feel like I’m dressing they way I want, so why bother? From reading online - were I a woman - and that was all I did - I could face ridicule, snide comments, etc...

I guess there is a tradeoff that - for all the crpa that they put up with, they get special privileges. Now... don’t misunderstand me - I’m not saying we shouldn’t have choices or freedom - I just think it’s difficult to draw comparisons like this, or to say they have it easier than we do.