Gucci Takes Toxic Masculinity to Task for Fall 2020

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gucci Takes Toxic Masculinity to Task for Fall 2020

Post by pleated »

Shilo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:09 am Am astounded at Stu’s post. It’s so far away from reality that I don’t know where to begin with a rebuttal. I am taking the view of pelmut and Pdfx
I have been watching this unfold and I agree with you 100%
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

pleated wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:26 pm
Shilo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:09 am Am astounded at Stu’s post. It’s so far away from reality that I don’t know where to begin with a rebuttal. I am taking the view of pelmut and Pdfx
I have been watching this unfold and I agree with you 100%
I’m glad to see there are more or us here who don’t agree with Stu.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can't comment on DV because I've never had any experience of it either personally or vicariously. I don't know anyone involved in it and if I do then it was well disguised and hidden. But then I have always said that I have led a very sheltered life.

As to toxic masculinity the Urban Dictionary defines it as "A social science term that describes narrow repressive type of ideas about the male gender role, that defines masculinity as exaggerated masculine traits like being violent, unemotional, sexually aggressive, and so forth. Also suggests that men who act too emotional or maybe aren’t violent enough or don’t do all of the things that “real men” do, can get their “man card” taken away." That pretty covers my understanding of it but not, to my knowledge, having any exaggerated masculine traits I guess that the term doesn't apply to me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the "man card"

This website:
https://1027kord.com/top-10-ways-to-los ... listeners/
List top 10 ways to lose your "man card", they are listed thusly:

11 percent - Taking photos of yourself in the mirror
10 percent - Waxing
9 percent - Agreeing to match your outfit with your woman
8 percent - Sitting down on the toilet for No. 1 because your woman makes you
6 percent - Knowing the words to "Call Me, Maybe"
6 percent - Not paying for a date
6 percent - Wearing tight jeans
6 percent - Not knowing your vehicle's model and year
5 percent - Going back to a woman who cheated on you
5 percent - Asking your woman to drive during a date
Other popular answers included:

Using pet names in public

Owning soundtracks to musicals

Having any idea what the Tony Awards are

Driving a mini-van

Interestingly "wearing a skirt" isn't listed... and though waxing is listed... shaving your legs is okay?.... maybe?

Anyway... just a little casual humor for this gloomy thread.... :eye:

I have to admit... most of these I can see.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 pmOwning soundtracks to musicals

Driving a mini-van
Guilty on those counts, Guv. I love the soundtrack to Cats (favourite track, Skimbleshanks, the Railway Cat), and had a copy which wound up getting stolen by my late ex- (along with a few other prizes), and drove minivans very happily for two decades (before they became the fat "people-movers" that they are today), and did things with them that horrified the 4x4 "off-road" crowd because I'd go places they couldn't (or didn't have the stones to). I got 200,000 miles out of the first and 300,000 out of the second.

I guess I'm not a Modern Man. And, to that, I say, "GOOD!" If being a Modern Man means being a macho moron I'm better off without it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I used to own a dark blue ex-police mini van. As in the Austin mini mini van. I loved it.

As for the list I'm guilty of some but then it doesn't really bother me as I'm not sure I ever had a "man card".
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

CBAT01_6078s.JPG
Washday At Sidmouth Festival

I'm a 'White Van (Wo)Man'; it's great fun watching the reactions of people who assume the driver is going to be a hulking aggressive bloke and find someone non-threatening in a skirt (regardless of whether I'm presenting as man or woman) living in the back of it.  My friend who drives the long-wheelbase version (right background) is a diminutive woman and has collected several surprised reactions over the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hehe.... I fancy that my post seemed to get us steered into a more casual tone. 8)

Of course I myself have owned a minivan or two in my time. I'm not sure where that radio station is from (didn't bother to look) but in Appalachia, if you have a vehicle that runs on its own power and a license to drive it...

... then you're doing good for yourself! :mrgreen:

Oh yes... I recall my days working in the plants and such, along side guys who lost their license or wheels for whatever reason hitting me up for a ride home in my old ramshackle minivan... nobody called me a sissy for driving it then!

Shoot... at one time when I was working at the plating plant... I felt like I almost had a bus route!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm Hehe.... I fancy that my post seemed to get us steered into a more casual tone. 8)

Of course I myself have owned a minivan or two in my time. I'm not sure where that radio station is from (didn't bother to look) but in Appalachia, if you have a vehicle that runs on its own power and a license to drive it...

... then you're doing good for yourself! :mrgreen:

Oh yes... I recall my days working in the plants and such, along side guys who lost their license or wheels for whatever reason hitting me up for a ride home in my old ramshackle minivan... nobody called me a sissy for driving it then!

Shoot... at one time when I was working at the plating plant... I felt like I almost had a bus route!
The station is from the Tri-Cities area of Washington state. About 175 miles SE of me. Country (aka goat-roper) music station.

Haven't driven a minivan, but drive what was the stereotypical PacNW grocery getter before minivans became popular. A Volvo wagon.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think wearing a skirt would cause immediate cancellation of a "man card" and render one ineligible for life.
So I suppose I have nothing to lose committing many things on that list.
I often turn up in a mini-mini van in a mini skirt where obvious "man card" holders turn up in 4X4's .......... so what hope have I.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Man Card Shman Card..... :twisted:

I do not hold to the premise that we need a man card or even have one. Who ever came up with the idea was crazy as a loon.. :jocolor:

We are who we are and there is nothing that can change that. Our personality is who we are and we should not try to change to make others happy. Any changes that we make to our personality should be only those we want and not what others want.

I am a man and that is that!! :hooray:

I like being a man in a skirt it is who I am and it is great! :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.