Gucci Takes Toxic Masculinity to Task for Fall 2020

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Gucci Takes Toxic Masculinity to Task for Fall 2020

Post by Coder »

This is going to be painful, sorry in advance:

https://www.papermag.com/gucci-fall-202 ... 09916.html

Seriously? Besides the idiotic messaging, what are they trying to accomplish? Be in the news?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Gucci Takes Toxic Masculinity to Task for Fall 2020

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 pmBesides the idiotic messaging, what are they trying to accomplish? Be in the news?
That, precisely.

Yes, the messaging is rather toxic, but it's worth recalling that radical "feminism" produced "toxic masculinity" as a by-product. Whether that was intentional or not can be left as an exercise to the reader.

I actually like the blouse in the lead-off shot, but the ripped trousers are simply inane and overdone. Anybody who buys pre-ruined clothes has some serous screws loose -- and ruined clothes are never attractive, even if they have an interesting story to them.

Do the world a favour: put the shredded stuff in the skip or recycle it responsibly. Rags are rags, full stop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:29 am I actually like the blouse in the lead-off shot
I'm glad I'm not the only one!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I quite like the blouse too. Weird photo, big long neck and skinny upper arms. The jeans are wholly ridiculous; I got rid of them if they got a hole in the knee, so uncomfortable.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

That blouse looks cute but there is no way I would wear something like that.

John
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The whole notion of "toxic masculinity" is misandric hate speech spewed out by people suffering from the mental disorder known as "radical feminism".
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

Stu wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm The whole notion of "toxic masculinity" is misandric hate speech spewed out by people suffering from the mental disorder known as "radical feminism".
I'm new to posting on here (although I've been lurking for a while) so I'll limit myself to stating that I disagree strongly with quite a few aspects of that single sentence.
My lurking has taught me that some of the threads on here have generated such strong feelings that I'm not surprised some people have left the cafe.
I think I'll leave it at that for now...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

MrSoapsud wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm
Stu wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm The whole notion of "toxic masculinity" is misandric hate speech spewed out by people suffering from the mental disorder known as "radical feminism".
I'm new to posting on here (although I've been lurking for a while) so I'll limit myself to stating that I disagree strongly with quite a few aspects of that single sentence.
My lurking has taught me that some of the threads on here have generated such strong feelings that I'm not surprised some people have left the cafe.
I think I'll leave it at that for now...
My main problem with the label is that I’ve never had it, I also have never been in contact with any toxic males. True, I don't get out much and work in a pretty safe environment... but I hope that my experience is indicative of men in general, and that the reason some women feel this way about men is because of some bad apples that - because of their behavior - stick out like a sore thumb. Aggressiveness, unfortunately, seems to be a key to success. As for the other point, I’m just not going there. I may disagree with their version of men - but it’s their opinion as long as I can live my life in peace, and as long as I don’t marry one :P

It’s impossible for modern day people to analyze the past in the context of the past, but rather we do it from the lens of our modern sensibilities. But, I gather that is how we’ve gotten to this fractured place in society (or it has always been fractured, and we just see it more with the internet).

I’ll try to refrain from posting articles that deal - or mention - these sorts of topics. Unfortunately, skirt wearing is going to bring these issues to the forefront in most articles, as it is going against the grain in western society, and un-opinionated people might not even cover the topic.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

MrSoapsud wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm I'm new to posting on here (although I've been lurking for a while) so I'll limit myself to stating that I disagree strongly with quite a few aspects of that single sentence. My lurking has taught me that some of the threads on here have generated such strong feelings that I'm not surprised some people have left the cafe.
Some people just can't handle opinions with which they disagree. It sort of "triggers" them. But I think the right to free speech is really important.

But feel free to keep "lurking". 8)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

MrSoapsud wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm
I agree with you, MrSoapsud. This attitude comes from a misunderstanding (probably deliberate among those who started it) of what "toxic masculinity" means.

If "toxic masculinity" meant that masculinity is toxic, then the evaluation of the term as "misandric hate speech" would be correct. But the original meaning of the term is not that all masculinity is toxic. "Toxic" here is an adjective that defines a specific subset of masculinity.

When men feel free to abuse women or other men because that is macho, that is "toxic masculinity". When they think it weak to acknowledge or express their feelings, that is "toxic masculinity".
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Jim wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:18 pm But the original meaning of the term is not that all masculinity is toxic. "Toxic" here is an adjective that defines a specific subset of masculinity.
Yeah, sure it is.

Did you know that, if you are going to be mugged in London, there is an almost 80% chance your mugger will be a young, black male? So maybe we can call that "toxic blackness", then - not that all black people are like that - it's just a "subset" of blackness, right? Also, there is some evidence that women are more likely to physically abuse children than men are, so maybe we can call that "toxic femininity"? The whole idea of applying the adjective "toxic" as a modifier of a noun which encompasses a natural demographic is utterly obnoxious. While those who use them try to use the denial that "well, not all X are..." etc, the implication is still there. In the case of "toxic masculinity", that implication is that it is the masculinity that is toxic, not the fact that some men, like some women and some black people. are jerks. People, male or female, who fall for this are enablers of a hate creed.

There is nothing masculine about failing to acknowledge one's own feelings, but it is a natural part of masculinity to control them and a natural part of femininity to more openly release them. Male and female hormones facilitate this and, if you doubt that, think PMT, post-natal depression and so on. And in spite of what feminists would have you believe, women mostly admire men who are emotionally strong and can thereby support their female partners when needed. But the term "toxic masculinity" is a subtle way feminists take a swipe at men in general and we should not take their crap.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The biggest threat to humans are humans.

I think it's safe to say humans are toxic.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 pm The biggest threat to humans are humans.

I think it's safe to say humans are toxic.
Yes, some other species would've agreed ......... if they survived to do so.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:18 pm If "toxic masculinity" meant that masculinity is toxic, then the evaluation of the term as "misandric hate speech" would be correct. But the original meaning of the term is not that all masculinity is toxic. "Toxic" here is an adjective that defines a specific subset of masculinity.

When men feel free to abuse women or other men because that is macho, that is "toxic masculinity". When they think it weak to acknowledge or express their feelings, that is "toxic masculinity".
Jim, I believe that you are correct in your interpretation of "toxic masculinity". It is just some aspects of conventional masculine behaviour that is toxic, to the men themselves as well as to women. A lot of male suicides could be prevented if they did not think that it was a sign of non masculine weakness to seek help.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I agree with CR that anybody who would spend money to gain this look has serious problems. The only outfit I find remotely interesting is the red dress about 5 back in the second picture