Old article about Oxford's dress code change

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old article about Oxford's dress code change

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pm
Yes, I am OK too ............ but many are not ............ and I can't help thinking about them ............. and future generations ............ and other living things ............. sorry.
I'm glad you care about these things. I do too.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:32 am
denimini wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pmYes, I am OK too ............ but many are not ............ and I can't help thinking about them ............. and future generations ............ and other living things ............. sorry.
I'm glad you care about these things. I do too.
I'm fairly certain that if we polled pretty much anybody about such matters the opinion would be the same: I care. Not caring points up some pretty sociopathic tendencies.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

Ray wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am That’s the Daily Wail for you - it’s readers are so narrow minded, they could look through a keyhole with both eyes.
If you read the comments , most are positive .
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’ve read the comments. I’m not sure I agree with you. Most seem Mail-ish, that is, written by drooling halfwits who want men to be men (whatever that means).
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

The visible comments were positive - if you expand to see them all they go negative.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ahhh.... people and their lil' 'pinions.

Maybe I think they rant too much over subjects that are none of their business on social media.... but hey, I guess that's their right.

I always see things out and about that I find bothersome, and not all of it is necessarily political either, sometimes it may just be someone blasting loud music at 2am, it may be a parent that lets their out of control heathens run amuck around stores undisciplined, it may be people who congregate in the middle of aisles at the grocery store rambling on and on about whatever, won't move out of the way when you're trying to shop, yeah people in general can be pretty self centered and annoying....

But you can't say anything.... free country and all... so if I have to tolerate the crap of the world... I think they will just have to tolerate my skirt.
Other than my abominable wardrobe, I go out of my way to be a decent human being. I work for my bread, pay my taxes and bills on time, tip well, return unwanted items to the proper shelf in a store, a quiet neighbor who tries to keep his house looking presentable despite hardly ever getting company (basically I do this for the appeal of the neighborhood) I don't drink, smoke, do illegal drugs, I don't party constantly, help those in need, etc

Despite all of this I'm going to hell because of the clothes I wear. To that I say, screw heaven anyway, the last thing I want to do is spend eternity with a bunch of self righteous, hypocritical religious people.

They say I'm destroying the fabric of society by the clothes I wear. Funny... I didn't realize society was so delicate, but if my wearing a skirt destroys society, despite all of the good I endeavor to perform, while at the same time I see a society filled with turmoil, hate, greed, bigotry, fighting, self righteousness, etc...

Then maybe this society needs to be destroyed, I'm happy to help it along.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:19 pmDespite all of this I'm going to hell because of the clothes I wear. To that I say, screw heaven anyway, the last thing I want to do is spend eternity with a bunch of self righteous, hypocritical religious people.
To be a bit more specific, they believe that you'll be going to their version of Hell whilst they will be going to their version of Heaven. Won't it be a surprise to them if they end up in somebody else's version.

The way I see things, there is no "afterlife". We achieve -- or don't -- our version of immortality based on others' memories of us -- and folks cherish those who act well and are courteous and helpful. The reason for that is that it seems that so few members of society actually behave in those ways.

The other thing is that Karma works, and I become more convinced about that by the week. It doesn't work immediately, but in the end it seems to virtually inevitably.

Lament, absolutely, the lack of civility in what passes for "modern society" in the USA -- but don't succumb to it; don't lower yourself to that level. Think well of others until they deliberately wrong you; do not automatically assume the worst, unless you have certainty of reason for doing so; hold your head high and smile (idiots hate that); and be kind to animals (for humans are just one more animal that lives on this silly little rock orbiting a perfectly ordinary star in a rather boring galaxy. Don't make it worse, because this is all we've got.
Then maybe this society needs to be destroyed, I'm happy to help it along.
I've considered that a few times in the past, but could not bring myself to action because the basic fact is that there are more good folks out there than there are rotters. It's just that the rotters stand out.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I am an atheist and sceptic on anything supposedly supernatural.

Is there an after-life? Well, probably. It would seem entirely logical that there is - to me at least - bearing in mind how the known universe works. However, I seriously doubt anyone in one life can communicate with someone in another life.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:57 pmI am an atheist and sceptic on anything supposedly supernatural.
As am I.
Is there an after-life? Well, probably. It would seem entirely logical that there is - to me at least - bearing in mind how the known universe works.
We can speculate on the matter until we beat the notion into the ground, but until there is observable and incontrovertible proof that there is such a thing I am constrained to reject the notion.

Karma, however, operates on human principles, and the odds of someone who habitually and deliberately causes harm to others is exponentially more likely to suffer personal harm themselves, likely at the hands of someone they've wronged and who doesn't have much to lose from the endeavour. It's not infallible, but seems to work pretty darned well; good things come to those who try to do well by others, and bad things tend to come to those who cause harm. I regard this a "good" in a philosophical sense.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:58 pm
moonshadow wrote:Then maybe this society needs to be destroyed, I'm happy to help it along.
I've considered that a few times in the past, but could not bring myself to action because the basic fact is that there are more good folks out there than there are rotters. It's
A little clarification on my comment quoted (after thinking it over I debated that I may have sent the wrong message), nevertheless, allow me to elaborate...

By "destroy society", it's a bit tongue in cheek. "They" as in the people who seek to limit the liberty of people like myself for no other reason other than that they believe I am an offense to see.

"They" as in the people who make trouble at the drop of a hat and complain about every little thing imaginable.

"They" as in the people who believe that humanity was at its zenith when dogma ruled the world, men and women alike knew their place and acted accordingly.

I think we all know who the "they" are I'm referring to.

Yes... I'm happy to be a part of destroying "their world", mainly because "they" think the world belongs exclusively to them. Unfortunately "they" have no authority over me, and "they" will have to put me in the ground before I yield to any of their authoritarian bullsh!t.

Yes, in reality "they" are in the minority, but one bad apple can certainly ruin the bunch.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm Karma, however, operates on human principles, and the odds of someone who habitually and deliberately causes harm to others is exponentially more likely to suffer personal harm themselves, likely at the hands of someone they've wronged and who doesn't have much to lose from the endeavour. It's not infallible, but seems to work pretty darned well; good things come to those who try to do well by others, and bad things tend to come to those who cause harm. I regard this a "good" in a philosophical sense.
I stopped believing in karma about a year or so ago, and have been actively putting it to the test for a good while prior.

In my observation bad things can and often do happen to good people and vice versa. Many of the worst possible people imaginable live lavish lifestyles, and NO I'm leaving American politicians out of this. But it happens across the world, in the middle east, in prosperity churches, in the work place... EVERYWHERE.

Nice guys almost always finish last. Thus we have the allure of religions like Christianity among others. The very essence is of the most beloved "nice guy" in all of human history basically executed for his actions (I'm talking about Jesus). All of this passes because it promises the good people of this world a heavenly afterlife. Meanwhile they struggle and suffer in this life while the people they look to for leadership live lavish lifestyles at their [the poor people's] expense.

What is the answer? I honestly don't know. As many of my post here would seem to indicate, yes, I struggle constantly with bitterness and my overall disappointment with the human race.

My only saving grace is I am legitimately content and satisfied with my lot in life. I'm a mid aged man, of reasonably good health, living in a relatively free society with a good job, a good wife and daughter, in a decent home that's good enough (keeps us warm and dry at least), and my biggest struggle is keeping my weight under control which is to indicate I'm certainly NOT going hungry. We have no major credit card debt, the car is finally paid off (as of last week), the septic loan is almost paid, and my mortgage is $470 taxes and insurance included... pays off in 12 more years.

Yes... far be it for me to complain about my personal situation...
I'm just so disappointed with humanity in general. It pains my heart to see so much ugliness and hate in the world. I wish more people who claimed to follow Christ would be more kind to one another.

I'm left feeling empty on many accounts because people and institutions I once respected and admired as solid sources of morality turned out to be nothing more than another piece of the grand con, a sham, and a scam. People I respected as intelligent fell for it, and simply put I really have nobody left to look up to anymore other than myself, but I know my own mind and heart and I'm so fraught with faults of my own, it is difficult for me to justify looking within for enlightenment. Often the endeavor leaves me feeling worse off and more at odds with the world.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:55 pm My only saving grace is I am legitimately content and satisfied with my lot in life. I'm a mid aged man, of reasonably good health, living in a relatively free society with a good job, a good wife and daughter, in a decent home that's good enough (keeps us warm and dry at least), and my biggest struggle is keeping my weight under control which is to indicate I'm certainly NOT going hungry. We have no major credit card debt, the car is finally paid off (as of last week), the septic loan is almost paid, and my mortgage is $470 taxes and insurance included... pays off in 12 more ye
Also, lest I come off as smug and braggy, know that yes, I have seen difficult times and will likely see them again in the future. Just two years ago we were on the brink of homelessness. When Jenn and first got married, we had a VERY difficult year financially. Heating on kerosene heaters in the winter, no health care scraping by on part time jobs, eating in soup kitchens, yes we've been there. I know all to well that fortune can come to an abrupt halt.

But I am confident that we will find a way to get by. In fact, there is really only one thing that makes me feel like I literally want to die and that's when I get laid up with a whopper of a headache.

Everything else though... I'll rise to the challenge.
-Andrea
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm We can speculate on the matter until we beat the notion into the ground, but until there is observable and incontrovertible proof that there is such a thing I am constrained to reject the notion.
We don't just believe things because we have "incontrovertible proof" - we also believe things because they accord with reason. Example - I believe there is a platinum ring in a box in my safe. What makes me believe that? My memory tells me that I put in there last year and, so far as I know, nobody has removed it because ... why would they? My memory could have deceived me. But I don't believe it did so, as far as I am concerned, it's in there. I believe stealing other people's property is morally wrong, but do I have "incontrovertible proof"? No. The very notion of "incontrovertible proof" is, itself, a dubious concept, but even if it were not, then this approach only takes us so far. We base our beliefs on other things, including our memory, our reasoning skills and our philosophy - and they are as much a part of our reality as any scientific proof.
crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pmKarma, however, operates on human principles, and the odds of someone who habitually and deliberately causes harm to others is exponentially more likely to suffer personal harm themselves, likely at the hands of someone they've wronged and who doesn't have much to lose from the endeavour. It's not infallible, but seems to work pretty darned well; good things come to those who try to do well by others, and bad things tend to come to those who cause harm. I regard this a "good" in a philosophical sense.
I am a big believer in karma. I have seen it in action countless times. We never get away with any wrongdoing - we just delude ourselves if we think we do. I often reflect on the opening lines of the Buddhist Holy book, the Dharmapadda:

Mind it is which gives to things their quality, their foundation, and their being. Whoso speaks or acts with impure mind, him sorrow dogs, as the wheel follows the steps of the draught-ox.

Mind is the forerunner of all evil states. Our life is the creation of our mind. If one speaks or acts with impure mind, suffering follows one as the wheel of the cart follows the draught-ox that draws the cart.

Karma is the wheel of the cart that inevitably follows the ox that draws the cart
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm am a big believer in karma. I have seen it in action countless times. We never get away with any wrongdoing - we just delude ourselves if we think we do.
A virtuous notion, but I can't see very much statistical evidence to support this.

Karma may only come into play in certain situations... for example, I punch you, you punch me back. I go home with a bloody lip. But was it karma or simply cause and effect?

I'd wager in most situations someone acting on a situation with their own greedy self interest in mind would be victorious, if he was cunning enough.

Yes, sometimes good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people, but if karma was the all encompassing rule of the universe it would apply to everyone, not just certain luck (or unlucky) people.

When's karma going to strike these insurance executives and brokers that make so much profit off of the misery of the poor?

When's karma going to get these prosperity preachers than con people of strong faith into going into thousands of dollars into debt to finance their private jets?

Some would say that if I were to get attacked or lose my job, my livelihood, etc over my decision to wear skirts, they'd call that "karma".

"Well... he ought to be dressing normal and that wouldn't have happened!"

No... karma is just more of the same religious horse sh!t.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

When we stop saying "karma's gonna get you" and start actually holding people accountable TODAY then we'll finally start to see real justice rendered.

Saying "it's karma" is the same as sending "thoughts and prayers", the same as saying "things will be better in the next life".

Meanwhile the con men and women are laughing all the way to the bank.
-Andrea