Business of Fashion / "Men Are Changing. Are Brands Keeping Up?"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Business of Fashion / "Men Are Changing. Are Brands Keeping Up?"

Post by Coder »

Ran across this article while trying to find something on the history of mens fashion that I had read the other day. This is... interesting. Most of the pictures depict high fashion, which looks somewhat silly, thought the long pleated skirt looks reasonable.

Also.. page is behind a paywall but if you are using Safari you can view the entire article using the "Show reader" functionality. I was able to read the article as I came through a Google search, or perhaps I'm only allowed one view per visit (soooo stupid).

https://www.businessoffashion.com/artic ... keeping-up
Last edited by Coder on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Business of Fashion / "https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/intelligence/men-are-changing-are-brands-keeping-u

Post by oldsalt1 »

The article is interesting I am going to find out what I can about The CSMM as I live about 15 miles from Stonybrook University
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Business of Fashion / "Men Are Changing. Are Brands Keeping Up?"

Post by crfriend »

That's an interesting article to be sure, but it's got some serious problems where it (1) tries to integrate "Eastern" thinking with "Western", (2) where it invokes the #metoo "movement", and (3) where it deliberately links "sensitivity" to the modern notion of "snowflake" (children). None of those are even remotely helpful.

However, this quote got my attention: “In contrast to outdated [concepts] that we’ve previously seen [...], we learned that — overwhelmingly — men care more about being honest, reliable and dependable, rather than muscular or athletic,” . That's something I can put my weight behind because it's actually pretty well dead on about what it means to be a man and not a macho parody of one. Other interesting notions centre on the understanding of male emotion and harnessing it for positive end. These are good things, worthy of being explored and pursued.

I was slightly put off by the image of the guy in a long pleated skirt, mainly because the look was that of a disaffected "emo" type and not the look of someone ready to face the world on his terms.

To the feminist crack about "beauty" -- “Women were subjected to the male gaze for centuries, but now, it’s being directed back at men,” -- all I can say is, "Bring it on!" There are times I relish the role of peacock, even as I recognise that it won't bring me a mate.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 pm That's an interesting article to be sure, but it's got some serious problems where it (1) tries to integrate "Eastern" thinking with "Western", (2) where it invokes the #metoo "movement", and (3) where it deliberately links "sensitivity" to the modern notion of "snowflake" (children). None of those are even remotely helpful.
Check out the CSMM, and then you might get an idea of why those issues were brought up. I suspect they might have some inbuilt biases towards men that they won't admit to. I'm not saying they are evil or have an agenda. But I recently read a long screed where a researcher (not a CSMM researcher) admitted they came to conclusions about men not based on historical data - but on their interpretation of history in light of their own bias and the bias in their circle.
crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 pmHowever, this quote got my attention: “In contrast to outdated [concepts] that we’ve previously seen [...], we learned that — overwhelmingly — men care more about being honest, reliable and dependable, rather than muscular or athletic,” . That's something I can put my weight behind because it's actually pretty well dead on about what it means to be a man and not a macho parody of one. Other interesting notions centre on the understanding of male emotion and harnessing it for positive end. These are good things, worthy of being explored and pursued.
THIS! That was the block that spoke to me the most, why I shared the article. I grew up in the 90's, and male-hate was drummed into me. In all honesty though, I never was interested in typical "manly" pursuits (except woodworking). Which made me sort of a freak (my internal sense that is). But I don't see my skirt-wearing as trying to be feminine.
crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 pm I was slightly put off by the image of the guy in a long pleated skirt, mainly because the look was that of a disaffected "emo" type and not the look of someone ready to face the world on his terms.
Heh, I may have some emo in me (well, at least a little bit of hipster, unfortunately :P).
crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 pm To the feminist crack about "beauty" -- “Women were subjected to the male gaze for centuries, but now, it’s being directed back at men,” -- all I can say is, "Bring it on!" There are times I relish the role of peacock, even as I recognise that it won't bring me a mate.
Many of the women in my workplace make positive comments on my shoes/jeans/sweaters (erm, the secret is they are not from the mens aisle, but shhhh) and I kind of like it. My clothing isn't obviously women's - but they fit me well and are cool, and I like them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:54 pmMany of the women in my workplace make positive comments on my shoes/jeans/sweaters (erm, the secret is they are not from the mens aisle, but shhhh) and I kind of like it. My clothing isn't obviously women's - but they fit me well and are cool, and I like them.
I actually picked up a very nice and affirming compliment today from one of the women at work who stated, "I like your skirt! It's very colourful." (I was wearing my very long green, burgundy, purple, and blue plaid "walking skirt" with a petti under it as it was cold today.) I thanked her sincerely for the compliment.

Men. Can. Be. Beautiful. If they want to be and try. I also do not mind my skirts getting called skirts one whit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!