Mum lets son wear dress to her wedding

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.

Mum lets son wear dress to her wedding

Postby Jim2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:54 pm

The article can be found here https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/13/mum-lets-son-wear-dress-to-her-wedding-so-he-always-feels-free-to-do-what-he-wants-10561863/.

I really like her attitude. On the same page, I saw a link to this article: https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/06/i-want-gender-neutral-uniforms-to-be-law-because-what-children-wear-doesnt-affect-how-they-learn-8828067/.

This article is about a law being introduced in England to have gender equality for school uniforms. While the article talks mainly about girls being able to wear trousers, the proposal is for equality. I especially like this statement from the article:
This is also about autonomy and teaching children that they have control of their own bodies. It’s an important step in understanding that no one should tell you what you can or cannot do with your body.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Re: Mum lets son wear dress to her wedding

Postby Grok » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm

The idea that the dress will make the boy gay is comical. :lol: If I understand the theory correctly, the future sexual orientation becomes hardwired into the fetal brain during pregnancy.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Postby JohnH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Years ago boys used to wear dresses until they were maybe 8 years of age. For example, John D. Rockefeller, Jr wore his sisters' hand-me-down dresses. So it shouldn't have been such a big deal for a 2 year old boy to wear a dress.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Stu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 pm

For younger children, just let them wear what they prefer. When it comes to events like weddings, which are there to be enjoyed, let them see the alternatives, tell them which style is more conventional for their sex, and then let them be the one to make the final choice. Does it really matter if a six-year-old page is actually female or a six-year-old bridesmaid is male? For older kids (10+), they should be regarded as participants in the process and not a focus of attention, so they should generally be made to stick to the conventions.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Pdxfashionpioneer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:43 am

Or be allowed to be who they are … kids. With their own identities. And the license to figure out exactly what that means for them.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Return to In the News / Advocacy