Catalonian kilts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Catalonian kilts

Post by geron »

This Scottish newspaper reports a worthy initiative to bring kilts and skirts to Catalonia:
https://www.thenational.scot/news/17815 ... -kilt-day/

However, it may be that some of the group's work has already been done for it. The Grand Parade of Celtic Nations (broadcast live from Lorient in Brittany on French television on August 4) featured pipe bands, dancers and traditional costumes from the Spanish provinces of Galicia and Asturias as well as from better known Celtic populations in Scotland, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Wales etc, and of course Brittany. No doubt Cornwall was there too, but I may have missed it.

It wasn't entirely an all-kilt occasion. For example, the splendid pipe band of the firemen of Lorient showed that the kilt can be trumped by the traditional French fireman's overalls....
Uncle Al

Re: Catalonian kilts

Post by Uncle Al »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

20190804Lorient03.jpg
If there isn't a picture, some say it didn't happen. So here is a screen shot of the Lorient Pipe Band taking part in the parade, on their home territory in Lorient, north-western France.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

There is a association of tartans in France. Seemingly their website is down. To give you an impression as to the tartans used in France and locations:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ta ... &FORM=IGRE

Some are very interesting as on one of the maps you will see amongst others mentioned the Berry tribute (Departement Creuse). This refers to the period that is was common to settle wars by marriages. In the 14th century the was a continuous war going on between England and France. Parts of France considered themselves English rather than French. The area near Orleans, Creuse, was notorious for the mercenaries. They wore the crest of both parties on either side of their loin cloth (skirt) showing the colours for whom they were fighting right at that moment.