High school allows boys to wear skirts to class - taipei

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

High school allows boys to wear skirts to class - taipei

Post by Jim2 »

See this article: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003719143

Doesn't seem to be about transgender kids. From the article:

The changes came two months after the school held a week-long student-initiated “men wearing skirts” activity aimed at breaking gender stereotypes and highlighting personal freedoms.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: High school allows boys to wear skirts to class - taipei

Post by renesm1 »

They look great in their skirts - nothing seems out of place there!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

renesm1 wrote:They look great in their skirts - nothing seems out of place there!
Au contraire - - -
The third from the right appears to be out of uniform different shade of blouse and skirt !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

This is equality with the correct reasons. A sign of a civilised society which I hope they can maintain.
r.m.anderson wrote: Au contraire - - -
The third from the right appears to be out of uniform different shade of blouse and skirt !
"The school’s management also changed a rule that required female students to wear only black or blue skirts or trousers, saying they are now free to wear skirts or trousers in any color, as long as they are a solid color." I would assume this applies to male students as well.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

Its spreading :)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Most of the guys seem happy with this 'change'. Some, however,
seem to be camera shy. I think they all look good & comfortable :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The test for this will be how many male students actually take up this possibility.

If it's zero or virtually zero, which is entirely possible, then this is a case in which the boys have a right to wear skirts in theory, but woe betide them if they actually do it!

Time will tell.
kidme

Post by kidme »

More development: https://chinapost.nownews.com/20190727-659708

Parent groups protest against boys wearing skirts
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

kidme wrote:More development: https://chinapost.nownews.com/20190727-659708

It sounds to me like these groups do not want equality for the boys and their arguments are stupid!!

The school checked with the parents at that school and they did not have a problem with it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"Where does a skirt-wearing male student go when the call of nature comes?” " .... the protesters expressed concern that things can go wrong in the future, including that boys will be allowed to use restrooms for girls, ...."

Well the boy's toilets, of course! Why should disposing of one leg-tube alter that and why should it lead to boys using girl's toilets ( or v.v. )? Scaremongering again and making assumptions that would never happen because of their ( parent's ) own insecurities on the matter.

“Without the boundary, how will boys treat girls with respect?”

Where did that come from? And what's it to do with wearing a skirt? So a boy will only show respect if he is NOT allowed to wear a skirt? WTF.

".... exposing one’s chest and back or other “inappropriate” dress codes are not in the spirit of respect." How is wearing a skirt exposing one's chest and back? Oh, it's the "inappropriate" dress code, but how is a boy wearing a skirt inappropriate, especially when in other parts of Asia male skirt wearing is common?

".... accused the school of misleading children into believing that allowing boys to wear skirts is gender equality." Well, this has been discussed on this forum before and boys wearing skirt may have something or nothing to do with gender equality but it's not the whole story.

The opposition is predictable but they didn't produce one coherent or logical reason for boys to not wear skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sinned wrote:"Where does a skirt-wearing male student go when the call of nature comes?” " .... the protesters expressed concern that things can go wrong in the future, including that boys will be allowed to use restrooms for girls, ...."

Well the boy's toilets, of course! Why should disposing of one leg-tube alter that and why should it lead to boys using girl's toilets ( or v.v. )?
Yes, that one's ridiculous. Where have the pants-wearing female students gone?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The anti-skirt protests seem to be an emotional reaction, so there is a lack of logical arguments.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kidme wrote:More development: https://chinapost.nownews.com/20190727-659708

Sounds like your typical run of the mill close mindedness... and those who object are pulling every "family values" card they can to stop it, when in reality, individual "world views" are being challenged and some people just can't hack the idea that people should be free to make decisions about their own life without the consent of whomever.

U.S. news feeds overflow with this type of thing every day. Typical knee jerk reactions. *yawn*
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is the local culture one that demands Trousers Tyranny for males? If so, we may expect a strong cultural resistance to MIS.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Sounds to me like hang-ups from inflexible, perhaps outdated viewpoints.

The excuses given like "How will the boys respect girls" and "when the call of nature comes where will the boys go?"...Really?

We regularly host Japanese exchange school students for up to two weeks at a time, and I've worn utility kilts, and sarongs while at home, and they haven't even given me a second glance, treated me any different, laughed or made a comment. One day I went to pick up our two girls from the school one afternoon (was a Saturday) after they had a day excursion to the Gold Coast while wearing a utility kilt, and no comments or issues even though I spoke with one of the Japanese facilitators and a couple of other host parents. Again, not even a second look.

The students that we've hosted (5 girls and 3 boys) I would describe as quite conservative, certainly in the way they dress, including their uniforms.