Gender-bending fashion rewrites the rules of who wears what

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Gender-bending fashion rewrites the rules of who wears what

Post by STEVIE »

Good Morning All,
This one has to be worth a visit in meat space too, if you can get to Boston.
I'd certainly go in a heartbeat but alas not possible.
For once, an optimistic outlook on the skirt front.
There may be hope for us yet.
Steve

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... spartanntp
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gender-bending fashion rewrites the rules of who wears w

Post by kingfish »

What better venue for a skirted outing, if not a get-together. A trip to the MFA!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A good article. The fashions may be a bit outre but the sentiments were in the right place.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It is a start! Let us all make it a reality for men to wear skirts and dresses without shame or ridicule. I am trying my best to do just that. We do that by being on the street in our skirts and dresses with straight up confidence and pride.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

I second the statement of sinneD. Seemingly the author missed out on the exhibition at the V-A Museum some 10 years ago.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Gusto
I had some thoughts about the V and A too but I never saw much of that either.
Perhaps this will build on it and we won't be saying the same thigs in another ten years. We can live in hope.
As for the actual fashions, sure they are not for mass appeal. That is a given that is common to all "designers".
Perhaps some retailers will see an opportunity for profit in some diluted versions and maybe, just maybe?
Only time will tell.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:I had some thoughts about the V and A too but I never saw much of that either.
I read a fair amount about the exhibit at the V&A and I do not remember any explicit coupling to "trans-*" the way that it appears that the MFA exhibit links to the "LGBTQIA+" [0] situation.

I'd be happier if it was simply about style and fashion. All piling extra baggage onto the matter does is muddy the water.

[0] I? A? +? WTF?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:
STEVIE wrote:I had some thoughts about the V and A too but I never saw much of that either.
I read a fair amount about the exhibit at the V&A and I do not remember any explicit coupling to "trans-*" the way that it appears that the MFA exhibit links to the "LGBTQIA+" [0] situation.

I'd be happier if it was simply about style and fashion. All piling extra baggage onto the matter does is muddy the water.

[0] I? A? +? WTF?
I seem to recall the photographs in the press showed the worst of 'catwalk stupidity', with ludicrously inappropriate clothes on sullen or agressive-looking blokes in ridiculous poses.  I wore skirts at the time but there was nothing shown in the reporting of that exhibition that I would have been tempted to wear. 

I don't remember any mention of 'trans' or any other variation; ten years ago hardly anyone knew what it meant (and even now a lot of journalists still don't - but it doesn't stop them writing about it).  It was purely a bl**dy dreadful fashion show.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:I seem to recall the photographs in the press showed the worst of 'catwalk stupidity', with ludicrously inappropriate clothes on sullen or agressive-looking blokes in ridiculous poses.
Much of it was dross, but there was some history in the thing and some sensitivity to the real world. Later, there was a similar event at the New York City Public Library (2007 or so?) that I was lucky enough to stumble into a number of years ago that was also sensitive to history and modern reality.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The most encouraging part was where the woman being interviewed said she was trying to get her husband to wear a skirt for the opening.

But really, most of the article was good. The two mentions of LGBTQXYZ were mostly throw away lines, I think. An acknowledgement of the current stuff going on, and a comment from some LGBT identifying kid? I've come to expect a lot worse.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Gusto
I had some thoughts about the V and A too but I never saw much of that either.
Perhaps this will build on it and we won't be saying the same thigs in another ten years. We can live in hope.
As for the actual fashions, sure they are not for mass appeal. That is a given that is common to all "designers".
Perhaps some retailers will see an opportunity for profit in some diluted versions and maybe, just maybe?
Only time will tell.
Steve.
The website of V&A M has been updone, even on this subject.
About 4 years ago the french association https://asso.i-hej.com/
organised various exhibitions in France and also a fashion show on the road at Strassbourgh (the place where they have a super sinkhole for money). Both were on the other side of the Atlantic and according to the song "your land is my land, from New York City to Vancouver island…" or so it could be interpreted as being the world. :D :mrgreen:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
pelmut wrote:I seem to recall the photographs in the press showed the worst of 'catwalk stupidity', with ludicrously inappropriate clothes on sullen or agressive-looking blokes in ridiculous poses.
Much of it was dross, but there was some history in the thing and some sensitivity to the real world. Later, there was a similar event at the New York City Public Library (2007 or so?) that I was lucky enough to stumble into a number of years ago that was also sensitive to history and modern reality.
I feel that we are still in a position where we are sifting through the dross and then go out on the street to find something suitable to wear
as a Man in a Skirt......I do not consider that any of the Active Men in Skirts can be put into
any little boxes regarding their chosen mode of attire....I find a style of attire which I like and just work on it with any new garments
which I am happy to wear.........If I am accepted out in the wild in what I consider is safe and comfortable to wear.....then I have
won my battle to dress as a Man in a Skirt.......anyone who reads our posts should be able to sort out the wide variations
in our own individual style of attire......Our limited sightings in the wild show that Men in Skirts are still thin on the ground....

Andrew Bolton, the curator of the V and A Museum wrote a book....Men in Skirts... to go with his exhibition....I am not entirely
in agreement with some of his statements or the photos he chose to use to compliment some of his statements....

I would go so far as to say that his Publication could not be described as a useful manual for those who wish to go out on the street
as Men in Skirts as many of his chosen fashion photos are just dross.....

It has recently been agreed that many of The Male Models catwalk outfits can only be described as " Catwalk Stupidity "
These outfits bare little resemblance to the Skirted Outfits which The Skirt Café Members successfully wear out on the Street...weeladdie
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

This seems to be the best place to post this. Without starting a new thread.
I come across this website for selling items.
via a picture search originally.

All the items are sold, but check out the people modeling the items up for sale. Guy in a cheerleader uniform and the girl is modeling a shirt men's briefs.
Are the most stand out items.
I'm guessing that this is a couple that set up this seller account.
Clearly they don't have a problem with some gender bending swaping.

https://www.depop.com/ajumma/
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gender-bending fashion rewrites the rules of who wears what

Post by Coder »

I ran across this seller looking for Nixon watches:

https://www.depop.com/xoxo_pumpkin/