Going in the opposite direction

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Going in the opposite direction

Post by FranTastic444 »

Article about a woman deciding to dress in male clothes -

Switching to men’s clothing taught me that the world doesn’t want women to get too comfortable

The above links into her blog, which goes into more detail. I like the closing line -
I won’t stop until I spread the message. We have choices, men and women. Gendering clothes is ridiculous, unnecessary and totally damaging. I refuse to be complicit in it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Going in the opposite direction

Post by Sinned »

Funnily enough the same rationale behind her wearing men's clothes are the same rationale as to why I wear women's clothes. She cites comfort, ease of choice, fit, variety among others. But she also cites the reasons it makes it harder for her to wear women's clothes - "Looking formal, for a woman, generally involves showing more flesh, wearing tighter and more figure-hugging clothing, higher shoes, tights, Spanx, jewellery and complicated hairdos." These are things she doesn't HAVE to do but things that she thinks are important to look good. She doesn't mention makeup which I suppose she wears even with her men's clothes. She also mentions more or less as a throw away concept with her boyfriend packing for holiday in her Quartz article - "Then I paused and looked over at what my boyfriend was packing: a pair of shorts, a pair of jeans; a few T-shirts, a few button-downs. Just one pair of shoes. He wasn’t exerting mental energy trying to imagine how fellow vacationers would perceive him and his body; he was just bringing the clothing he needed to enjoy his holiday. With that, I tossed a few of my own T-shirts in the suitcase and zipped it shut. Dressing comfortably isn’t just a matter of finding breathable, well-cut clothes—it’s also a mindset."

Good articles written from a woman cross-dresser [0]. Will it provoke any indignation or acerbic comment? Not likely - she will be praised for her courage, foresight and thinking outside the box. A man wearing a dress or skirt for comfort and so on, well, we've all been there haven't we?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

She has a good point regarding pockets.

However...regarding male clothing and coordination.....

Male clothing is so dull that it is worth only minimal effort to coordinate items-just the bare minimum effort to appear presentable.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:These are things she doesn't HAVE to do but things that she thinks are important to look good. She doesn't mention makeup which I suppose she wears even with her men's clothes.
That's part of my takeaway from the article. I'll grant that some women's clothes can be cumbersome to wear. In fact, recently, especially if it's cold out, I've been known to just wear a pair of work pants if I've got extensive work to do outside. During the warmer months, I can wear the shorter knee length skirts with a tee-shirt, but winter requires more layering and more skin coverage. Right now, I'm wearing a dress, over a petticoat, over a slip. Sometimes when it gets really cold, I've been known to wear about four or five skirts at once!

It's super warm, but not really practical for manual labor.

I'm glad she found clothes that she enjoys. Nobody should go around in clothing they hate wearing, unless for some reason they have to. It's funny that it seems we all just want that which is forbidden to us. :wink: All that being said, I doubt she'll run into much friction with the public, though to be fair, we don't have many issues either.

On the makeup, for me, that would be too much trouble. I have the wife's blessing to wear makeup if I want (her and Amber even tried to do it for me one day). I won't have it... it's just too much fuss for something I'm going to have to wipe off in a few hours anyway. I haven't even painted my nails in probably over a year.

One of her commenters pointed out that it can be a challenge to find mens clothes that are cut for wide hips. Perhaps in the U.K., I do not know. I know around here there are men scattered everywhere who are pretty round, and somehow they managed to find trousers that fit them. It's like anything else, you have to wear what fits. I've got a closet full of women's clothes that fit me just fine, but they don't fit Jenn or Amber.

Loose cut mens trousers would probably fit most women pretty well, they may have to do the opposite that I do, and for them, that would be choose a size up (to get over the hips), then draw it in with a belt at the waist. For me, I have to choose a size down and mainly just wear stretchy women's clothes to accommodate my shape.

But as for men's trousers not having any hip room, gheeze, I tried on a pair of women's jeans at a Good Will once.. OMG talk about TIGHT around the groin... I put right on the "reject" rack and decided to stick with skirts.

Jenn and Amber wear guy clothes all the time.
Grok wrote:Male clothing is so dull that it is worth only minimal effort to coordinate items-just the bare minimum effort to appear presentable.
True, her boyfriends task was easy because he basically laid out the entire men's wardrobe....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Also, lets see her carry around external parts between her legs that are directly connected to her nervous system, and talk about how comfortable pants are! :P

A female can not possibly understand the feeling of getting their nads pinched....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote:Also, lets see her carry around external parts between her legs that are directly connected to her nervous system, and talk about how comfortable pants are! :P

A female can not possibly understand the feeling of getting their nads pinched....
So very true. Pants were created to castrate men.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Freedomforall wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Also, lets see her carry around external parts between her legs that are directly connected to her nervous system, and talk about how comfortable pants are! :P

Logically, skirts are more benefit for the male anatomy and pants can not do as much harm for the female.
Grok wrote:However...regarding male clothing and coordination.....

Male clothing is so dull that it is worth only minimal effort to coordinate items-just the bare minimum effort to appear presentable.
It is easy to coordinate the same shade of grey.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for the most part women don't wear uncomfortable clothing. At the Sunday morning Eucharistic service at my formal Episcopal (Anglican) church with chanting, priest wearing a chasuable, bells during Communion consecration, and incense upon occasion, most women wear trousers and mostly flat shoes. Some of them even wear jeans, and a lot of them don't wear makeup. It's quite rare for women to wear hats. So if a woman showed up wearing formal menswear she would blend right in.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Freedomforall wrote:

They were created so men could conveniently ride horses.
Now that we have motor vehicles men still slavishly wear those supid gonad squeezers.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sinned wrote:Funnily enough the same rationale behind her wearing men's clothes are the same rationale as to why I wear women's clothes. She cites comfort, ease of choice, fit, variety among others. But she also cites the reasons it makes it harder for her to wear women's clothes - "Looking formal, for a woman, generally involves showing more flesh, wearing tighter and more figure-hugging clothing, higher shoes, tights, Spanx, jewellery and complicated hairdos." These are things she doesn't HAVE to do but things that she thinks are important to look good. She doesn't mention makeup which I suppose she wears even with her men's clothes. She also mentions more or less as a throw away concept with her boyfriend packing for holiday in her Quartz article - "Then I paused and looked over at what my boyfriend was packing: a pair of shorts, a pair of jeans; a few T-shirts, a few button-downs. Just one pair of shoes. He wasn’t exerting mental energy trying to imagine how fellow vacationers would perceive him and his body; he was just bringing the clothing he needed to enjoy his holiday. With that, I tossed a few of my own T-shirts in the suitcase and zipped it shut. Dressing comfortably isn’t just a matter of finding breathable, well-cut clothes—it’s also a mindset."

Good articles written from a woman cross-dresser [0]. Will it provoke any indignation or acerbic comment? Not likely - she will be praised for her courage, foresight and thinking outside the box. A man wearing a dress or skirt for comfort and so on, well, we've all been there haven't we?

I think part of this clothing gender jealousy the fact that in thought is not biased mentally. The grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence. I think everyone one has had a day dream from time to time about being the opposite sex. The thought is different and exciting. The thought of boobs sounds fun at first until you realize that they get in the way and lactation well that don't sound so great.
At the end of the day I rather like being able to stand up to pee. There is a mystique in the opposite gender. Women don't understand men, men don't understand women. That's two way. Women can dress like men. However men can't wear anything that suggests it has the slightest chance of being for women.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.