Not skirt related but not a good thing to be used as defense

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Not skirt related but not a good thing to be used as def

Post by Sinned »

I agree with her. What the woman wears should not be part of the line of enquiry. As she says rapes happen because of rapists, not because of the clothing worn. Especially underwear which will not come into view until the deed is underway. Shameful, and should legally be a barred line of enquiry. What will be next, a miniskirt, a low neckline revealing a cleavage?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:What will be next, a miniskirt, a low neckline revealing a cleavage?
That's been done in the past -- successfully. It's the "s/he was asking for it." defence. It's BS of course, but the legal system is entirely capable of producing obscenely wrong results.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm not about defending this but the lawyer was doing his job as he saw fit. He successfully shifted the culpability and his client found not guilty
There may well have been other more relevant factors. I would thought that the question regarding the victim's underwear would have been strenuously objected to by the prosecution but I really do not know.
The real obscenity is in the legal processes of the country that allows such practices. The law can be a lot more obtuse than any Ass at times.
Steve.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Rapists and their lawyers will always try the 'she was asking for it' defence not thinking that it is their client who cannot control their urges not the victim who has done nothing wrong.

What would the lawyers say if the victim was dressed in 'hijab', loose non-revealing trousers or other 'modest garments.

It is a shame the jury bought this hook line and sinker letting this guy off to do it again. Seems our Mothers, Aunts, Cousins and Sisters are not safe anywhere and we as males must not turn our back on the victims but support them and learn from them.

Mt heart goes out to the victim in this case and I hope that she gets the love and support of her friends and family to recover from this unacceptable ordeal both the rape and the court case.
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

The Barrister was actually a woman
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kiltguyire wrote:The Barrister was actually a woman
Who was doing her part in defending her client. After all, no matter how egregious the offence is it deserves a vigorous defence, and sometimes that means using old ploys that have long-since been discredited in modern society. It's in this manner that things go horribly wrong from an ethical perspective with the legal system.

In the modern world, "No means no" is wise guidance. Guys need to listen to, and heed that advice. Sadly, stereotypes and antique thinking dictate far too much today. As a comic-strip I saw a while ago commented, "It used to be 'He said, she said,' Now it's 'She said, he's dead.' " Sad commentary indeed.

There are always going to be grey areas; smart folks now need to assiduously avoid those.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!