Holy skirt day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Holy skirt day

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:As for the Mods concern [...]
Lest anyone think I've been asleep at the switch, I have been following this thread -- as I follow most in "moderator mode" -- and am actually pleased with the way its evolving. Whatever feathers may have gotten ruffled have been smoothed back into place and everybody is being civil -- and in a "touchy topic" that's always a refreshing thing to see. It's nice when adults behave like adults.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

*cowers in corner until all the arguing has stopped*

I think the issue in Fiji is the powers that be didn't like men abandoning their traditional garb (the Sulu) for western clothing, whereas in our part of the world such garments may be seen as a violation of Deuteronomy 22:5 :roll: I do believe there is skirt tyranny as well :)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As a Latter Day Saint [0] we believe that our Father is male but since we also have a Mother they are both gods and so everyone is right. It doesn't offend me even with jokes against my religion [1] because I feel that I have a well developed sense of humour and am above it being personal. I loved Dave Allen's humour and as a Catholic the humour was centred around his Irish Catholic religion. He did get a lot of stick for example for his sketch of an Archbishop in all his finery doing a striptease to the music of "The Stripper". And that wasn't the only sketch. So let's lighten up - humour will hold all sorts of things up to ridicule but we should treat it like water off a duck's back.

[0] I hate the descriptive Mormon as Mormon was a "only" prophet and we don't worship him. The full title of my Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints whom we do worship. Saints as we believe that any true follower of Jesus is a Saint, nothing more than that.
[1] Yes, we do have an LDS thread of humour about aspects of our religion and we do make fun of ourselves at times so as not to take ourselves too seriously.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

oldsalt1 wrote:Sorry Ray that last comment came out wrong . It was not meant to be personal.
OS - no offence taken :-)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Sinned wrote:[1] Yes, we do have an LDS thread of humour about aspects of our religion and we do make fun of ourselves at times so as not to take ourselves too seriously.
One of my favourite Christian writers is Adrian Plass: he wrote "The Sacred Diaries of Adrian Plass" and other funny books, as well as a moving autobiography. He highlights in a gently humourous way the inconsistencies found in many streams of Christianity, including Anglicanism which he loves dearly.

I think it's very important in a religion of any kind to recognise that it is almost certainly lopsided in some way (I speak as one belonging to what some think of as a very strange denomination!).
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I agree with Sinned, we should be able to laugh at the foibles of whatever it is that we're serious about. If we can't, I feel we're taking that subject too seriously!
I speak as one belonging to what some think of as a very strange denomination!

- greenboots

Doesn't that apply to all of them? :lol:

OldSalt, I'm surprised that referring to God as being female inspired such umbrage in you. The first person I heard referring to God as He/She was a Catholic priest. It took me by surprise, but when I gave it a moment's thought I realized that the Bible says we're "made in the image and likeness of God." It only stands to reason then that God embodies both the Male and the Female and both Masculinity and Femininity.

Moonshadow, I am very impressed by the range and depth of your scholarship in spiritual matters! Good for you!! My pastor has said a number of times that most church-going Christians know far too little about the Bible they say they believe in.

You're also quite correct in your belief that what Christians call the Old Testament spans the three great religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The believers of all three pray to the same God of Abraham. You have to wonder then, why are they always at one another's throats? Why can't we all just get along?

One thing my adult religion classes, and the books they're based on, stress over and over again, is that you have to read the Bible in the context of its time, recognize that we're reading the translation of a translation of a … well, it's hard to know how many back. Especially since most of the stories of the Bible date back to 4,000 and 5,000 BC and weren't written down until around 1,700 BC. And the stories have to be read in the context of their times. Not to mention the fact that in transcription mistakes were made and the darnedest things added. For instance, according to Rev. Spong and other modern Bible scholars something like half of Paul's letter's were written by someone else. Not to mention the letters he definitely wrote having paragraphs inserted, often in the darnedest places.

I kept saying stories because that's what nearly every single book is; the recorded myths regarding whatever. Several books, such as Job and Ruth, were written explicitly as made-up stories to make a point.

I could go on forever, but I hope I've made my point: getting stuck on the literal wording of any one passage or one person's interpretation of the Bible doesn't stand up to thoughtful, scholarly inquiry.

To be explicit about my beliefs, I too find the NIV version of the Bible the most understandable and illuminating that I have found. I practice Methodism because it's more oriented on how much the way you live your life expresses the love God feels for our fellow humans rather than doctrine. And it doesn't waste time cherry-picking an exhausting list of thou shalt nots from the Old Testament.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I took offense at the sarcastic tone of the comment.

The bible was not written 4000-6000BC If you use the NIV addition look at the timeline in the bible It doesn't go back prior to 2500 BC and most of those listed in the bible were born 2000 BC and sooner including Moses 1526 BC Jonah became a prophet in 793 BC and Jeremiah in 627. Of course the dates are estimates . But they don't go back that far
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel we should respect each others personal beliefs as this thread has gone well off the O.P.
Please note I have quoted the O.P......Originated 6 August.
Somewhere I recall that the Sulu was introduced to Figi by the Imperial British Rule......
Please would a computer literate member display the referenced news item.
I feel that if the cross references are checked, this produces a different picture of the Sulu
and the religion of the Residents of Figi.

Please may I continue....I was born male . My mother is female. I wear a male garment due to my
heritage. Others have claimed I am wearing a skirt. I flagged an offensive post and Carl made
his decision both as a Moderator and a respected member of the forum.
I personally feel we should try to find away out of this bog and wear a male garment which is
the equivelant of a skirt by a use of a different word.

I feel that the Figians would be upset by the suggestion that they wear skirts.
There was a story of a visitor to Figi who wore his Sulu with pride....A local gentleman informed
him that he looked the part and should become King.

I understand that 80 % of Male Figians dress in this manner
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:I personally feel we should try to find away out of this bog and wear a male garment which is
the equivelant of a skirt by a use of a different word.
I'm not really sure I understand this statement. A skirt isn't a male or female garment. It's just a article of clothing.

Perhaps the way out of this "bog" is to stop worrying about genderfying the skirt and just wear what makes each of us happy. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that seem "on board" with this logic. When I actually stop and speak with people about my choice on clothing in the region in which I live, I'm a little bit surprised by the number of people who simply say "it's just clothing, good for you for wearing it!"

In fact, I'd say 90% of the folks with hardcore objections are normally among the ultra right wing religious. Now I realize that my observation will be different than those in other parts of the nation or world. Everyone here should understand that I live in an area that has a higher percentage of certain Christian denominations that are known for their VERY strict adherence old Testament law as well as a certain unique culture that I can only describe as "early 20th century, segregated American". This isn't to pull the race card in the subject, but honestly I really know of no other way to describe it.
I feel that the Figians would be upset by the suggestion that they wear skirts.

.... well.... as they say, "truth will stand when the world's on fire"....

If they choose to be upset by the obvious, then all I can say to them is get in the line with the rest, be advised... it's a long line.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Moonshadow wrote:A skirt isn't a male or female garment. It's just a article of clothing.
:soapbox:

All clothing is just that a Piece of Woven Cloth known as Clothing. It has neither sex or gender. It is society that assign such to them and to Quote someone else on this forum "Who the hell is society?" We are not going to let some arbitrary group of people tell us what to wear and what gender our clothing is. We should just let it be clothes period.
I wear skirts, dresses and all kinds of shirts and blouses. I don't care what side of some store they were on.

:rock:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Perhaps the way out of this "bog" is to stop worrying about genderfying the skirt and just wear what makes each of us happy.
I'm with Moonshadow in this regard. We should stop worrying about the "skirt" label and just deal with it. The term isn't going to change simply because we wish it would, and hyper-analysing the thing isn't going to change that. Sometimes the best path forward is simply to embrace what's handed to you and forge ahead. After all, rockets wear skirts [1] and it's tough to get much more phallic than that.

Yes, on occasion somebody will query you on the matter, and if that happens simply and calmly say, "Yes, it's a skirt. They're wonderfully comfortable you know." Don't make a big deal about it, and if somebody else does it's an indication that they have a problem not you. (I'm still smiling about the girl standing in a ticket-line with her parents in Chicago a few weeks ago and who was shooting furtive glances at me until I caught her at it and quietly leaned over and said, "Yes, it's what you think it is, and it's OK." -- to which she beamed and indicated that she thought I looked great in it.)

As far as the Old Testament types go, they can go their "warm place" down below for their backward "thinking" and cherry-picking of obsolete doctrine. They're not worth the time of day as their minds are so rigidly made up that conversation is not only pointless but likely impossible.

[0] This space intentionally left blank.
[1] Look the term up. It's not just a piece of clothing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

God is gender-neutral, says archbishop of Canterbury In the news a couple of days ago. Maybe Justin frequents this site and saw this thread :-)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: After all, rockets wear skirts [1] and it's tough to get much more phallic than that.

[0] This space intentionally left blank.
[1] Look the term up. It's not just a piece of clothing.
And not just rockets but cars have skirts too, see below!! :lol: :lol:
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg
f4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

FranTastic444 wrote:God is gender-neutral, says archbishop of Canterbury In the news a couple of days ago. Maybe Justin frequents this site and saw this thread :-)
It wanted me to sign in and I do not have a subscription nor do I want one just to read this article.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:God is gender-neutral, says archbishop of Canterbury In the news a couple of days ago. Maybe Justin frequents this site and saw this thread :-)
It wanted me to sign in and I do not have a subscription nor do I want one just to read this article.
Are you sure, Fred? The Guardian prides itself in not being behind a firewall. Is it just trying to get you to sign up to a newsletter or something like that, that you can skip?