Holy skirt day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Holy skirt day

Post by shadowfax »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
crfriend wrote: After all, rockets wear skirts [1] and it's tough to get much more phallic than that.

[0] This space intentionally left blank.
[1] Look the term up. It's not just a piece of clothing.
And not just rockets but cars have skirts too, see below!! :lol: :lol:
SNIP ... Pictures of cars ...
Hovercraft have skirts too! :wink: :)
Griffon Hoverwork Hovercraft.png
Sorry. Getting a bit off-topic now. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

shadowfax wrote:Hovercraft have skirts too! :wink: :)
Bravo! Also, we have someone who knows the proper plural -- even better.
Sorry. Getting a bit off-topic now. :roll:
Actually, no, that was quite on-topic.

In addition to rockets, cars, hovercraft, there are also desks, and the occasional piano (as well as likely several other things -- feel free to add) that sport skirts. Is it really and exclusively feminine term? I posit not, so let's stop worrying about it.

Recall my comment to the girl/young woman in Chicago a couple of weeks back, "Yes, it's what you think it is -- and it's OK." -- and her retort.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

It wanted me to sign in and I do not have a subscription nor do I want one just to read this article.

- Fred In Skirts

I just clicked on the link and it took me directly to the piece. The Archbishop said God transcended male and female and was genderless.

Btw, I saw a piece in the Apple news today that included a quote from the latest Roman Catholic catechism that says that not only is god genderless, it's absurd to think we're create in God's image.

So, doctrine fans, there you have it, the official word, according to Christian Doctrine, God is genderless.

Demonstrating, yet again, the Old Testament got it wrong.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I'll keep it simple. If you read the bible and believe that Jesus was God's son that kind of disproves both your comments. I realize that the bible was written a long time ago and there are interpretative differences for modern times, but I would go easy with taking the easy way out to make it suit your needs
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've got this feeling we'd better ease off a little before this thread gets locked....

FWIW, Dan, and I'd say quite a few others here believe God's a man, and there is no argument that can be posed that can change that.

Me personally? I obviously believe the creator is likely without gender, as the Archbishop suggest. The notion seems logical to me, further I agree with Dave, that to me anyway, it seems rather absurd and unlikely that we were created in God's image, and much more likely that our God was created in our image.

But neither case can be proven scientifically, so it really just comes down to what each of us wants to believe.

Dan's view frankly, is shared with the majority of Christians, so he has that on his side, and though I do personally disagree, I still respect his religious views. For that matter, he may be right... who knows?

One bit of advice for Dan though, at the risk of directing this thread to locked status, over the years I've held my share of spiritual views, most of them contrary to what's commonly accepted as truth by people in general. This holds true to this day. I generally don't hide my opinions on matters of the divine, and as a result of my unorthodox views, I've had to just get used to having people completely and blatantly disrespect my beliefs, say I'm going to hell, I'm lost, etc etc... And I mean, people have been downright crass and rude about it.

I pretty much took it in the chin, because I realize my views fall in the extreme minority. The result of this for me anyway, was a somewhat comical view of divine that has helped me have a sense of humor of sorts when it comes to spiritual discussions. It generally doesn't offend me when someone challenges my views, because even I know, they may be right.

So my advice in a nutshell is to take it easy. As the world becomes more diverse, and people become more educated, questions are going to be raised and individual conclusions will be reached. Your spirit and well being will be a lot better off if you can learn to accept that some people will have different religious beliefs than you, learn to tolerate this, and don't be afraid to have an open minded discussion. Chances are, both parties may just learn something.

Take Fred for instance. I've had the privilege of meeting him, and we may differ on some religious and political issues to an extent, but we can talk about the issues without getting into fights. That's because we're friends, but also because we have respect for each others right to find our own paths in life and see no reason why such differences should get in the way of a fulfilling friendship.

And by the way...

Mobile homes have skirts too! 8)

And lesser known is the fact that commercial dishwashers also have skirts.

The "skirt" is just so danged versatile! I mean, how many items, other than legs can you, or would you put a pair of trousers on?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think that what the Archbishop was trying to say is that God Transcends human form . He just did a poor job of explaining it. In my belief God created man . Moon what I think you are trying to say that Man created God in an attempt to explain the unexplainable.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Moon what I think you are trying to say that Man created God in an attempt to explain the unexplainable.
Close, I don't think nor believe that man created God, that would be absurd. Obviously the universe existed prior to man, so that wouldn't make any sense. I believe man created a god(s) to explain the unexplainable. [0] Further, I believe as the eons go, we will inch closer and closer to the answer.

[0] This isn't such a strange concept, even among fundamentalist Christians, even they will agree that the "gods" created by other cultures and religions were most likely just their attempt to explain the unexplainable. These Christians believe they're the correct ones, and all the others are wrong. The others believe they're the correct ones and those with different views are wrong.

How do we know who's right and who's wrong?

If we go by the religion that has the most seniority (has been around the longest), that honor probably goes to the Hindus.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I guess I am like the archbishop What you said is what I meant. That man created the Idea of God to explain......
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson - a committed Sufi Muslim. On a recent NPR interview he used a great line - water takes on the color of the vessel in which you pour it. Basically, God is the same (water) but looks red when poured into the Jewish jug and blue when poured into the Christian jug etc. You can hear this 36 mins into the interview. I have to say that overall it is a poor interview - the lady doesn't really bond well with Richard and asks some clunky questions. You can tell that he is uncomfortable by the way in which his stammer comes out. That said, still worth listening to the whole show if you are at all interested in the man and his music. His show in Boston the other night was one of the best that I've ever been to of any artist.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Btw, I saw a piece in the Apple news today that included a quote from the latest Roman Catholic catechism that says that not only is god genderless, it's absurd to think we're create in God's image.
Would you document this, please? I couldn't find it. The last phrase seems so contradictory to what they've always taught it sounds like someone has seriously misinterpreted the catechism.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Being atheist I have not much interest in theological things other than historical. I respect the true believer of any religion. I try to keep my world as simple as possible so I see the people around me as human beings, human to set them apart from animals. Those human beings have certain attributes and as long as those are not harmful to me, I'm fine with that. Putting people in boxes according to those attributes as useless in my eyes because you can hardly measure them. With all the gradations of those attributes, the combinations are close to endless. That is why each person is unique. I try to approach people at face value and go from there.

Even with my quite liberal upbringing, I had some do's and don'ts ingrained in me. Some of them I'm rethinking like how to behave as a man. Since my start of wearing skirts, I'm less rigid in a lot of subjects, like in the field of gender.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:I don't think nor believe that man created God, that would be absurd. Obviously the universe existed prior to man...
But the idea that it was "created" didn't, nor the idea of "prior".

Absurdity is always what we discover if we dig deep enough. That's why the buddha is laughing.

Oh I hope someday we are going to have a lot of fun in our skirts contemplating these and other deep matters whilst staring at a starry sky from around a bonfire now become coals.
Daryl...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Daryl wrote:Absurdity is always what we discover if we dig deep enough. That's why the buddha is laughing.
Indeed! That's one reason I try not to get bent out of shape anymore when someone makes fun of my beliefs... on a good self assessment, even I must admit- they (my beliefs) are pretty silly. :lol:
Oh I hope someday we are going to have a lot of fun in our skirts contemplating these and other deep matters whilst staring at a starry sky from around a bonfire now become coals.
It would be my pleasure! And right now the time is right for exploring the mind, under the stars, by a campfire, in Canada! :wink:
-Andrea