Builders on site wearing skirts!

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Builders on site wearing skirts!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Did anyone see this article in yesterday's Sun newspaper.
(Sorry if it's been posted already)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6514743/b ... ment-site/
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Builders on site wearing skirts!

Post by RichardA »

Elf and safety gone mad and only in the UK
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I remember quite a few contractors on building sites than banned shorts on their workers. And quoted a H+S reasons for it.
All very well having hard hat, high-vis jacket, goggles and ear defenders as well as steel toe-cap and soled boots but in hot weather to have heavy duty trousers is a bit much I would say.
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Very pleased to hear about the builders. There was an article in response in the I - fairly predictable stuff but mildly funny.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/men-have-ev ... -warn-you/
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I know that in the mines and most heavy trades in Australia, long heavy cotton pants and high vis shirts are mandatory PPE required, for all workers, both men and women.

It might be 45°C, you have to stay covered, including wide brimmed hats, to prevent exposure to the sun, which prevents skin cancers from UV exposure.
Managing heat stress is an important thing in the workplace in these environments, and the usual method of managing heat stress is to take regular breaks every half an hour for 5 minutes or so, and drink at least a litre of water an hour, to maintain fluid levels.

At most schools now wide brimmed hats are mandatory otherwise kids will not be allowed outside to play.

As any injury or things like sunburn and skin cancer can be prevented, you must take all required steps to ensure that all employees take the required steps to ensure that injuries do not occur.

I seriously doubt we'll see male construction tradies embracing skirts in the workplace in Australia as it could increase the likelihood of somebody getting burned and the risk of skin cancer from a workplace activity.
At the bottom of this, no employer wants to be held liable if an employee got skin cancer as a result of being sunburned on the job.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

6ft3Aussie wrote:I seriously doubt we'll see male construction tradies embracing skirts in the workplace in Australia as it could increase the likelihood of somebody getting burned and the risk of skin cancer from a workplace activity.
At the bottom of this, no employer wants to be held liable if an employee got skin cancer as a result of being sunburned on the job.
Anthony enters the room.... (denimini) :)
I know that in the mines and most heavy trades in Australia, long heavy cotton pants and high vis shirts are mandatory PPE required, for all workers, both men and women.
I'd say it's the same thing here. We have to wear flash rated trousers and shirts. They're pretty big on PPE, I doubt a woman could wear a skirt where I work now even with a religious exemption. And if she pushed for such an exemption, as I understand the aim would be for modesty (as if trousers weren't modest....), but I would ask how she intends to remain modest when having to climb one of these?

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I wonder if that EXIT sign upper right edge of photo has anything to do with that enclosed ladder structure.

I can see climbing the rungs of that enclosed ladder with a mini-skirt or something longer i.e. skaters skirt
but certainly not with a pencil; hoop skirt or some ankle length.
In that enclosed area ones legs would have to be kept closely together probably no different than with pants.
It is the last step out of the ladder enclosure that would be perhaps the most photo opportune moment.
But I don't see any better exposure view than like being two steps behind on an escalator or stair case.
Contrasting undergear could be a glimpse of enlightenment but I would see nothing further as the legs move
back and forth up and down scissors like in moving in the ladder enclosure.
So who is going to mount a camera on the top of their head to video this - awe forget it dumb misguided idea !
Only in the fantasy of the mind of a dirty ole man do these things become an issue.

In the case of an emergency requiring an exit using the enclosed ladder things are going to be get out and not
worry about who wore what getting out of there. "UNLESS" no don't go there ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !