An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.

An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby renesm1 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 am

http://www.bigmouthstrikesagain.com/2018/05/skirting-the-issue/

A lot of important points raised here about transvestites, transgender people, and us men who just like to wear skirts, etc.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby oldsalt1 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 pm

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case I think that it is more than true. The article does have some valid points. But the lead photo sets a tone and creates an atmosphere that most "Men in Skirts" do not want to be associated with.
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby Stu » Wed May 30, 2018 5:13 pm

There is so much I disagree with in the article, it's hard to know where to start. Here are a few:

"Misogyny is why women still have to fight to get access to essential healthcare,"

Really? In what way are men given an advantage in healthcare that women are denied in modern western societies? Which attracts the most funding? Breast cancer or prostate cancer?

"why women in some countries are still campaigning for fundamental human rights"

True, but that's "some countries" and not our countries, so why place that between two factors that apply to western countries?

" and why victims of rape face aggressive questioning in court"

And so they should. Rape cases mostly hinge on one person's word against another these days, and a man's liberty and reputation are at stake. We have seen countless wrongful rape allegations and even convictions in recent times to demonstrate that they should all be robustly challenged.

"In 2015 one school, Trentham High School in in Stoke-on-Trent, banned skirts altogether on the grounds that they were too distracting to male staff and students. Imagine hiring teachers you don’t think can be trusted if young girls’ legs are visible. Imagine thinking the solution to that is to make all girls cover their legs."

A total misrepresentation. In UK schools, uniform skirt-lengths have been a massive source of conflict for decades. Girls are continually pushing the boundaries and it is often up to male staff to address this with the girls concerned. Unsurprisingly, they find it embarrassing, as it invites the question "why were you looking at my legs, sir?" - and then they point to another girl whose skirt is even shorter and ask: "why are you picking on me? What about her?" It is also such a common problem that it becomes a distraction for staff who don't want to be having to deal with this issue and just want to get on and teach. I have personally seen this situation.

"For example, a few months ago, the BBC aired a phone-in about calls for women-only train carriages, the response to new research showing sexual assaults on women in trains have doubled in five years.... You need to change the whole culture."

This is the BBC missing out certain inconvenient facts as to who is committing these assaults ... and their particular "culture". Can't say that, though because it's politically incorrect to point it out.

"And that’s what a lot of the outrage boils down to. We don’t want boys to be treated like girls, because we all know how badly girls are treated."

Yes, we do know how girls are treated - in education they are now very much the privileged gender in many western countries while boys are regarded as trouble or as defective girls, being told their natural masculinity is "toxic".

The writer of the article might want to read a book by feminist Christina Hoff Sommers called The War Against Boys: How Misguided Policies Are Harming Our Young Men - and get a grasp of the real situation.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 am
Location: Sweden

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby moonshadow » Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 am

I can summarize this article in one statement:

Men can't wear skirts, but the women are the real victims.

I'm sorry, but it was difficult to really get to the heart of the plight of those who challenge gender bending for all the victimization of women depicted in the article. I'm not saying women don't have their challenges, but this reads like the women of the world live in dismal conditions....

Misogyny is why women still have to fight to get access to essential healthcare


Seriously??? You can't throw a rock in the U.S. and not hit something painted in pink to bring awareness to women's health care. They have WIC, the county health clinic, Planned Parenthood (yes they do more than abortions), I believe in some cases their health insurance is cheaper, have shelters, better access to mental health facilities, etc etc. Whens the last time you saw a big P.R. campaign on prostate cancer?

of course the solution is to stop men from assaulting women in the first place and to severely punish the men who commit such crimes.

I have no problem with this... so when can we expect something to be done about the women who lose their temper and go after men with a knife?

Oh sorry... I forgot, that's prime time comedy T.V.... :roll:

Generally speaking nobody really cares what aisle a woman shops in

Southern Appalachian male skirt shopper here:
Nobody cares what a man shops for either. Just don't be an obnoxious ass and you'll be fine.

The whole thing strikes me as the usual tired old regurgitated bull-sh!t that is only pandered about in talk shows and the internet world. Real people have real problems, and in my world, these subjects just never come up.

oldsalt1 wrote:But the lead photo sets a tone and creates an atmosphere that most "Men in Skirts" do not want to be associated with.


I'll say!
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby SkirtsDad » Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 am

After a couple of scathing reviews here I decided to try to understand what the writer was talking about and perhaps even find some good bits, if there were any.

Background
Before the article, the picture of Grayson Perry as Claire, prompted the thought by Christopher Phin that people who didn't like this sort of clothing were perhaps looking at it with the idea the they themselves wouldn't wear it, so why should anyone else. Chris then goes on to tweet that this compares similarly with couture and the negative comments it sometimes attracts. Gary(Carrie) Marshall seizes upon this and comments that "some people (read homophobes/M2F transphobes) fear being treated the way they know women are treated, and goes off to write the article.

The Article
Trans write Carrie, picks an badly interpreted issue (that was not raised by C. Phin) and goes off on a rant about how the problems for women and for trans men stem from misogyny. Is there an issue of misogyny? I would say there is, however this article does no justice to it whatsoever. Some of you, I might suggest, have fallen into the trap of trying to come up with counter arguments, however, looking at the example that have been presented then it did not take long to realise that half of the information is missing. The reporting is unbelievably biased to the extent that I find little credibility in any of it even though some of the arguments it is trying to make are to some extent valid.

Train Carriages: misleading reports increase in "sexual assaults on women". The increase is across the board and includes increased sexual assaults on men. Assaults on men have been ignored.

Skirt Ban: the conclusion has been based around selected comments and ignores the actual impact of pupils wearing skirts - "Headmistress Dr Rowena Blencowe said she has been forced to introduce the new rules because staff have started spending more time telling pupils to roll down their skirts than teaching."

Leggings Debate Comment: The debate.org page featured equal numbers of comments from those supporting and those against the ban, however only one side was presented. Interestingly, 71% were again the ban being the norm, and didn't find leggings distracting, immoral or whatever.

The Conclusion
"And that’s what a lot of the outrage boils down to, We don’t want boys to be treated like girls, because we all know how badly girls are treated": Relating this to the previous paragraph about society not wanting boys in skirts, then the writer seems, to me, to be suggesting that people (men?) would have to treat them like girls because their innate sexual urges, once they see a skirt, would prevent them from distinguishing a boy from a girl. This makes me wonder if the write has their own issues with being transgender. Perhaps someone has a different interpretation.

If you want to see how misogyny can affect marginalised people, try this one:
https://medium.com/th-ink/homophobia-is-misogyny-2b615169d979
User avatar
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby trainspotter48 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am

And so we come to the djeballa or burqua as the all concealing garment of choice!!
trainspotter48
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: West of England

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby pelmut » Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 am

moonshadow wrote:... Whens the last time you saw a big P.R. campaign on prostate cancer?

There is currently a campaign in the U.K.  It isn't very big at the moment, but posters are appearing on local bus shelters.  

I have recently had an operation for benign prostate enlargement (not cancerous, luckily) and have discovered that the topic is no longer taboo.  Women often want to talk about it because they are afraid that their husbands might get it and be too embarrassed to tell them or a doctor until it is too late.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby moonshadow » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:21 am

pelmut wrote:
moonshadow wrote: ... Whens the last time you saw a big P.R. campaign on prostate cancer?

There is currently a campaign in the U.K. It isn't very big at the moment, but posters are appearing on local bus shelters.


I've never seen one here. Of course, I'd say it has less to do with actually caring about women's health, and a lot more to do with capitalizing on a disease. The problems of women and children tend to win over public sympathy quite easily, and with that the money just trucks in. Men... not so much...

It seems like at one time not long ago, it was considered crass and vulgar to use human despairs to promote businesses that have nothing to do with the issue. I mean come on... pink garbage trucks??? Pink heating oil trucks?? Pink broom and dustpans? (there's a sexist statement if I've ever heard one! :roll: )

Of course in call fairness, I suppose the BIGGEST reason we can't "fight for a cure" with other cancers (like prostate cancer) is because Susan G. Komen has the damned word "cure" trademarked!!!! :x

That's why, for me anyway, all these businesses can keep their pink crap. Its a dirty rotten sham is all it is. A money grab. They'll never "cure" anything because these demented, sick, greedy, slime balls are making waaaaaaay too much money off of it!
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby Charlie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:23 am

moonshadow wrote:I've never seen one here. Of course, I'd say it has less to do with actually caring about women's health, and a lot more to do with capitalizing on a disease.

There was a play on TV where a scientist discovered a cure for cancer - and the medical establishment didn't want to know. Why? because there was so much money and vested interests tied up in treating and caring for people. This was based on someone who did actually find a cure for something and couldn't make headway to get it implemented.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear blue jeans.
User avatar
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby alexthebird » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Whens the last time you saw a big P.R. campaign on prostate cancer?


True dat. On the other hand, it's my impression that ads for Cialis and Viagra FAR outnumber ads for drugs having to do with women's reproductive health.
User avatar
alexthebird
Active Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Philadelphia USA

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby moonshadow » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Charlie wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I've never seen one here. Of course, I'd say it has less to do with actually caring about women's health, and a lot more to do with capitalizing on a disease.

There was a play on TV where a scientist discovered a cure for cancer - and the medical establishment didn't want to know. Why? because there was so much money and vested interests tied up in treating and caring for people. This was based on someone who did actually find a cure for something and couldn't make headway to get it implemented.
Charlie


It is said that Royal Rife created a machine that supposedly cures all diseases, including cancer. Now, I don't know that that's actually true or not. Though I'm not a medical expert or doctor, even if Rife's machine targeted "bad bacteria and viruses" and killed them in the body, I always thought that cancer was a cellular mutation type of disease, and not necessarily an "infection" of various microscopic organisms.

I do believe that our modern society causes more cancers that would otherwise be diagnosed if our lifestyle was more "natural". What with all of the garbage we inject our foods with, the various radiation emitting technologies out there, cell phones right next to your head, microwave ovens, high voltage transmission lines, bizarre chemicals in every day items like deodorants, pollution, toxic waste, mercury in our water supply, lead, asbestos, etc, etc.

I've heard that Kingsport Tennessee has the highest cancer rate in the region, and the reason for this is their water supply is the Holston River, which small towns like Saltville VA and other small industrial towns in Appalachia have historically discharged high amounts of toxic waste, including industrial mercury, which flows downstream towards Kingsport.

alexthebird wrote:True dat. On the other hand, it's my impression that ads for Cialis and Viagra FAR outnumber ads for drugs having to do with women's reproductive health.


Ahh yes, an excellent point. I haven't watched programmed TV in so long (been a few years now) I've forgotten how many sex pill ads there were on there. Gotta keep dem women satisfied! :roll: If a man can't perform between the sheets, it seems that he is considered of no value in our culture.

Breast cancer interestingly also falls along this line. It's interesting that the scope of breast cancer awareness is to "save the breast". I've seen bumper stickers with the slogan: "SAVE THE TA-TAS!" As though to indicate that for a woman to loose her breast, she loses value as a "woman". Breast are considered a sex object by our culture, just as an erect penis is. Ovarian cancer is also a problem that would effect ONLY women, and yet the focus is always on the breast!

The man who doesn't spread his seed is just as looked down upon as the woman who refuses to have children, and all of our media and pop culture is geared towards sex, sex, and more sex.
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby skirtyscot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

"SAVE THE TA-TAS!" - really? How pathetic is that, resorting to childish words when referring to a serious illness. Sadly indicative of our society's screwed up attitude to bodies and sex.

I'm not sure I would have known what it meant!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby pelmut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 am

That expression is one I have not heard in the U.K., except as Edwardian slang for a hat - but it would explain why the music hall song "Put on Your Ta-Ta Little Girlie" didn't become popular in the U.S..
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby Stu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:33 am

"Ta-tas" is a baby-talk word in Yorkshire meaning going out or on a trip, as in "Mummy is going ta-tas. Back soon!" It comes from "ta ta", which is a Northern English expression for "bye bye", and then it is occasionally pronounced with an intrusive 'r as in "ta ra".
Stu
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 am
Location: Sweden

Re: An interesting article written by a transgender friend

Postby moonshadow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 am

After looking at the "save the ta-tas" website. It seems as though it was intended in good fun. Well, I guess as long as that's how it's being received, then good fun it shall be...

Personally I believe it's because Komen probably has the word "breast" trademarked too! :!:
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Next

Return to In the News / Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest