Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Post by beachlion »

Like Dennis said, most members have some form of higher education or have interests they follow. With that kind of brain training one learns not only to think outside the box but step outside the box. They take social conventions for what they are: social conventions and not the law of the land.

To go back on topic: I wear skirts mainly for comfort and with a dress, I would feel uncomfortable yet. But I'm working on that. I will make some dresses from denim and khaki for my beach going. Just plain colors and fabrics, no flowery or frilly stuff.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As I sit here typing this I am in a dress. A knee length black dress made from a knit cloth with a large pleat on the left side and a "V" neck It has short sleeves. It is very comfortable and fairly warm. The dress hangs just right. When I get cold I just get my heavy knit sweater and put it on.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:Something about X Marks the Scot bothered me. Yes, it was sterile and dry. Then I noticed that the moderators immediately shut down a thread about other types of MUGs. (Male Unbifurcated Garments). I concluded that X Marks was too rigid for my taste.
I put that in google and skimmed over the site. I can see the theme is very much for the kilt. I also understand there is a sub-forum here on skirtcafe for kilt wearing. You may note that I don't often post in that board as I do not have any kilts, nor am I frankly interesting in acquiring one. As for X Marks the Scot, I'd fit in there about like a square peg in a round hole. And that's fine, I have no prejudice against kilt wearers or men who avoid anything dressy of feminine. It's their choice to wear what they want. My personal opinion is that I generally don't care for the style of a kilt. It's nothing personal, it's just not my thing. I feel the same way about pencil skirts, I generally don't find them flattering on most people I see. But, again, that's just my opinion and preference. Far be it for me to judge others for what they do, you just won't likely catch me in either one. I'm also not a big fan of boots, cowboy hats, big belt buckles, "sissy" outfits, sagging pants, very baggy clothes, coveralls, and I detest baseball caps [0]. But hey... it's free country, people can wear what they want.

Men will casually wear a kilt but not a dress (to tie these two discussions together) because kilts are accepted men's wear and dresses are not. Many who would wear a kilt still view dresses as too feminine, despite the robes, caftans, tunics, and other such garments that have been worn by men through history.

It takes a lot for a man to wear a dress. Two conditions must first be met:

1) He must actually desire to wear a dress, and

2) He must muster up the courage to actually do so.

Most men, even many here it seems do not even pass step one, of those who do, most get hung up on step 2.

As for me, I still find myself challenged to wear a dress, especially if I haven't worn one in a while. The ace is my pocket is my desire to express myself. I'm not one of these guys that gets hung up on the whole "masculine" thing. I'm my own man, and I'm not ashamed to say I have feminine characteristics. It's not a dirty word after all, it doesn't make me a pervert, or a sissy. I just cherish the feminine side of me along with the masculine and am not ashamed to express either one.

The right dress does indeed make me feel beautiful and elegant. That's what I like about them, and I don't think that diminishes my manhood. Beauty gives life it's spice and grace. When I walk to the top of a high mountain on a clear spring day and cast my eyes over the vastness of the valleys down below, smell the breeze of the spring flowers as it makes its way up and over the mountain, observe the clouds as they are just a little closer now then they were when I was down below. The way it flutters the fullness of the dress behind me, the feeling of natures breath across my bare skin. Slowly breathing through my nose to sample every bit of Mother Natures wonder and listen to her speak through the rustling of the trees. "Handsome" isn't exactly an adjective that comes to mind on those days....
01052045.JPG
Absolute beauty, unspeakable peace and solace, but above all, just the awe inspiring beauty of the world, the universe, and life is all that comes to mind.

I am not ashamed to carry a piece of that in my soul, and express it as I see fit. If that makes me a "sissy lady-boy"... then so be it...

[0] Baseball caps are damned near impossible to avoid here in the states. They are basically considered "THE American hat", going long before the ever so popular "MAGA" hats, but stretching all the way back to I suppose the late 60's into the 70's and beyond, with the working class, "truckers", service men, etc etc. Sometimes I have to wear a hat in certain establishments I work in, and company policy is we wear the "branded" baseball cap.

Again, I detest the things. Why oh why can't the fedora come into style for the blue collar worker?.... Baseball caps just make people look like they're about to graduate the 8th grade... :roll:
fedoraman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: Men will casually wear a kilt but not a dress (to tie these two discussions together) because kilts are accepted men's wear and dresses are not. Many who would wear a kilt still view dresses as too feminine, despite the robes, caftans, tunics, and other such garments that have been worn by men through history.

It takes a lot for a man to wear a dress. Two conditions must first be met:

Most men, even many here it seems do not even pass step one, of those who do, most get hung up on step 2.
Of course, there is the matter of one's tastes/personal preferences.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Of course, there is the matter of one's tastes/personal preferences.
This goes without saying, however, the generalities stated:
Moonshadow wrote:It takes a lot for a man to wear a dress. Two conditions must first be met:

stand. Even with the cast of characters here, with their enhanced intellectual capabilities, are sometimes unable (unwilling?) to wrap their heads around the notion. If that's the case, what hope can be held out for the common man? It's a big hill to take, and if we continue with circular "logic" then nothing will ever change. We need another approach altogether.

Hell, even I'm sometimes at odds with myself regarding the two dresses I have. I like both of them very much, but the tactile sensations I get when wearing them are very distracting. For the most part, the lack of constriction of several layers around the waist make me feel strangely naked which can be a massive distraction in public settings. I know; the right thing to do is to simply push through the barrier, but it's still very odd.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Why oh why can't the fedora come into style for the blue collar worker?
Fedora? Two words come to mind: "Indiana" "Jones". Fedoras can still be had and can still be worn. Sure, they'll look out of place in a sea of ball-caps (mostly worn by those who may not know what a baseball looks like), but they remain great hats. If I was a hat guy I'd likely have one -- and quite probably a bowler as well. And I'd NEVER wear it indoors. That's just wrong.

Also, please do not get me going on the topic of the "urban cowboy". The Texan comment of "all hat and no cattle" [0] comes to mind. It's a tragic look, worn by tragic types.
.... Baseball caps just make people look like they're about to graduate the 8th grade... :roll:
s/8th/5th/g 3rd if worn bill-backwards.

[0] which is what I think of most of the Texans [1] I've met over the years. There must be a few worthwhile ones, but I just haven't met any of 'em yet. (Uncle Al doesn't count; he's a transplant.)
[1] See "urban cowboy".
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Fedoras can still be had and can still be worn. Sure, they'll look out of place in a sea of ball-caps (mostly worn by those who may not know what a baseball looks like), but they remain great hats. If I was a hat guy I'd likely have one -- and quite probably a bowler as well. And I'd NEVER wear it indoors. That's just wrong.
True, once upon a time it was considered rude and inappropriate to wear hats indoors. This is still the case in some places, such as churches and schools.

It is a bit of a curious custom, and I admit to being guilty of letting it slide... virtually every time. I suppose it's just down to the newer generation (mine and beyond) that have grown so accustomed to wearing ball caps virtually everywhere. In many cases this is expected, such as in the service industry. In virtually every fast food establishment a ball cap is considered a mandatory part of the uniform.

I suppose that culture, and the culture of the ball cap has blurred the lines. Perhaps this is a practice I should reevaluate. Though my hat of choice (my favorite one) really isn't a fedora, nor a ball cap. I'm not really sure what it's actually called, other than perhaps a full brimmed "hill billy" hat. But then again, even Jed Clampett, if I recall would remove his hat when entering elegant establishments, churches, and other such places.

I'm not sure that it matters much at the grocery or hardware store, or a place like walmart or a gas station. But even hill billies will remove them prior to religious service, and I believe it's about mandatory at court.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys,
I have worn that red dress accessorised by a trilby which is just a firmer version of the fedora.
Carl, it is the lack of sensations around the waist which actually sells it to me. I just haven't been able to acquire enough variations to get a handle on a really casual attitude toward them. Project 2019, a work in progress.
Currently, I have 3 trilbies and a fedora. The fedora is certainly the more elegant shape and my favourite but the colours and price are a limiting factor.
I would not generally wear one indoors and never in any house of worship. I have also used them to acknowledge responses to my garb and that has generally worked well.
Now, when I think of an outfit, a hat will be in the mix somewhere too.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:True, once upon a time it was considered rude and inappropriate to wear hats indoors.
As far as I'm aware it still is. But, I'm a bit of a throwback.
I suppose that culture, and the culture of the ball cap has blurred the lines. Perhaps this is a practice I should reevaluate.
Why do I find myself drawn to the biology-related meaning of "culture" [0] here? And, yes, if you want to be a proper gentleman doff the hat when indoors.
Stevie wrote:I would not generally wear one indoors and never in any house of worship. I have also used them to acknowledge responses to my garb and that has generally worked well.
That's the traditional, "tip of the hat" which is one of the enduring marks of respect that a man can offer. It's not as flashy as a bow, but works its own magic.

[0] Dad: "Keep your fingers out of the incubator. We've got a gangrene culture in there." [1] Kid: :shock:
[1] I grew up in a medical household. It was ... instructive.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The only house of worship where I would wear a hat in the Synagogue where it is required.

I like the fedora is my hat of choice but I do not have one, I do not like baseball caps but they are cheap and easy to come by. I have several but seldom wear one. I would love to be able to obtain a nice fedora for a reasonable price but they are quite expensive.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: I would love to be able to obtain a nice fedora for a reasonable price but they are quite expensive.
Start with a not so nice one. They start at about $5 on Ebay.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Perhaps it is time for a thread about hats and MIS.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:Perhaps it is time for a thread about hats and MIS.
The twist and turns this thread has taken... :lol:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:
Grok wrote:Perhaps it is time for a thread about hats and MIS.
The twist and turns this thread has taken... :lol:
"Why don't most men in hats wear skirts?"
"Because most men in hats don't wear skirts."

Men Without Hats? Only if it's a Safety Dance.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It just occurred to me-a man with the right hat and the right skirt could be a dashing figure.