Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Post by Grok »

https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/com ... in_skirts/

I find it interesting that some women regard skirts as sacred feminine things, and if men start wearing skirts what will women have?

Of course, men are supposed to be unflinching pillars of stereotypical masculinity, while women wear and do whatever they feel like.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Of course, men are supposed to be unflinching pillars of stereotypical masculinity, while women wear and do whatever they feel like.
To properly address this joke, one must carefully and critically examine what the modern travesty of "masculinity" encompasses. All of the good parts have been stripped away and only the bad remain. I refuse to conform to that utterly fallacious stereotype. Full stop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dewse wrote:11 points · 2 years ago

The Scotsman in me is getting triggered. Hahaha. Just kidding, but really, part of "being a man" is not giving a f--k what petty folks think and to follow your own path.
Hell.... yeah....

As for the comment of the close minded women, for those who might come up to me with something like:

"It's wrong for men to wear skirts/dresses because those are sacred feminine things and if you take that away, what do women have?"

Oh gheee... I don't know, like basically everything in the whole damned universe.... My answer is, there really is nothing sacred to manhood anymore, at least not in western culture. Virtually everything has been invaded, there is no such thing as "man space" anymore, lest you are charged with sexism for even thinking it. Fine, it is what it is, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let this screwed up world tell me how to live my life. I'm not physically bothering anyone, I'm just trying to live out my modest life in relative, drama-free peace, and hopefully die in my sleep, an old man.

So you know what... f--k women, men, and people who carry on like that. I don't have time for their bullsh!t. This is MY life, they don't like it.. FINE, stay the hell out of my way and there will be no trouble. That's all I ask.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If men should wear skirts more and more, will women cling to dresses as a sacred feminine thing?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:If men should wear skirts more and more, will women cling to dresses as a sacred feminine thing?
They can cling to whatever they want, they still ain't the boss of me....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:They can cling to whatever they want, they still ain't the boss of me....
I know of one who is!!! :lol: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If you start to read the comments to the original article they soon degenerate into profanity and name-calling. I stopped reading after that. At least if we disagree in this forum we try to do it courteously and sometimes just shrug shoulders and agree to disagree. There have been few fallings out while I've been a member.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:If you start to read the comments to the original article they soon degenerate into profanity and name-calling. I stopped reading after that. At least if we disagree in this forum we try to do it courteously and sometimes just shrug shoulders and agree to disagree. There have been few fallings out while I've been a member.
And that is why I really enjoy this site. I have seen very few interjections by the mods because of problems and sore heads. This site is rare indeed for the way we act towards one another. :toast: :thumleft:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:If you start to read the comments to the original article they soon degenerate into profanity and name-calling. I stopped reading after that. At least if we disagree in this forum we try to do it courteously and sometimes just shrug shoulders and agree to disagree. There have been few fallings out while I've been a member.
It's interesting you mention that, I was having a discussion with Jenn the other day about the toxicity of the internet in general the last several years. It has come to the point where I seldom make a comment online anymore, outside of skirtcafe.

It seems no matter what you stand for, or who's side you're on, literally half of the internet populous is waiting in the wings to pounce on your every word and rip your thoughts to shreds. Nobody listens anymore. Everyone's talking, but nobody's saying anything. Humanity is dying. Not the species, but the spirit. Social media is in the process of killing our soul.

I take pride in the fact that I know very little about what's going on in the world anymore, thanks to my lack of a television, newspaper subscription, or any other social media accounts. Make no mistake, if I didn't have to eat and work to stay alive, I'd take these damned phones and devices, chuck them in the garbage, high tail my ass into the wilderness and live off of nature.

Sometimes I see something online, perhaps youtube, or some other service, and as I read the comment threads, I am almost inclined to write my thoughts... then I might get about two or three words out, and I suddenly lose all motivation and delete it out. *sighs*... It just ain't worth it anymore man... ya know?? Life is too short to get into constant pissing contest with everyone you meet.

When people ask me "what do I think about _______________" (a political question), my response is usually along the lines of "It doesn't matter what I think, the world's going to do what the world's going to do, as long as it stays out of my way than I think I'll do well to keep my mouth shut".

This website is quite literally the only place where I make my thoughts known, mainly because this is the only place I'm aware of where I can engage in civilized gentlemanly discussion.

It's ironic that the most gentlemanly place I'm aware of on the internet plays host to member's who's common denominator is, among other things, wearing skirts, a symbol commonly associated with womanhood...

Funny isn't it... it rather rings new meaning to the catch phrase, "real men wear skirts"...
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:And that is why I really enjoy this site. I have seen very few interjections by the mods because of problems and sore heads. This site is rare indeed for the way we act towards one another. :toast: :thumleft:
Not trying to score points, but just being honest with my thoughts here:

I've participated in forums here and there for 20 years now, and I have to say, this website has the most reasonable and fair moderation team I've ever had the privilege of posting with. Carl and Al do a great job. Don't hear much out of Ian for some reason, and I understand Bob has gone off to pastures of a different hue.

I know I've been known to skirt the rules a few times, and anywhere else I'd probably be banned by now, so I just wanted to say that I appreciate our moderation team and all the other members that tolerate my radical tangents and continue to come back to share their thoughts....
-Andrea
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

An awful lot of "moderation" on forums doesn't deserve to be called that. There far too much "You've broken Rule 6, you're barred". That's not moderation, that's totalitarianism, little Hitlers ruling their own little patch of the Internet because they can. Moderation by definition is more about trying to get people to be moderate, to agree or at least to disagree moderately, civilly. "You have one mouth and two ears, try to use them in those proportions" is a cheesy line, but it has a point, and the trouble with forums and social media is that they encourage people to do exactly the opposite. One of the good things about SC is that people are encouraged to listen to views which they disagree with. As a result, people behave in a reasonable way.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:An awful lot of "moderation" on forums doesn't deserve to be called that. There far too much "You've broken Rule 6, you're barred". That's not moderation, that's totalitarianism, little Hitlers ruling their own little patch of the Internet because they can. Moderation by definition is more about trying to get people to be moderate, to agree or at least to disagree moderately, civilly. "You have one mouth and two ears, try to use them in those proportions" is a cheesy line, but it has a point, and the trouble with forums and social media is that they encourage people to do exactly the opposite. One of the good things about SC is that people are encouraged to listen to views which they disagree with. As a result, people behave in a reasonable way.
True, that's one side of the problem, the "over-moderation" of forums to the point where they're sterile and dry.

But I've also participated in forums that are largely unmoderated and the result are members who brow beat, are catty, name call, insult, and just generally make the forums unpleasant to participate in. Pagan Space is one such forum. Though in all fairness it may not be as bad now. I participated in the group many years ago under a different username, (circa 2011) and I found the atmosphere to be very toxic. It was largely a free for all.

I still have a (newer) account set up there, and every once in a while I may post a picture or a little story, but my participation in the site is but a mere fraction of my time spent here. Maybe visiting a few times per year for only a few minutes per visit.

Yeah, I think there's something special about our group here at Skirt Cafe.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Something about X Marks the Scot bothered me. Yes, it was sterile and dry. Then I noticed that the moderators immediately shut down a thread about other types of MUGs. (Male Unbifurcated Garments). I concluded that X Marks was too rigid for my taste.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't want to appear elitist here, but a great proportion of the members have degrees, higher education or are/were in professional careers such as Accounting or Computing. Some are very learned in topics ranging from music, science in its many cadres, linguistics [0], religion, engineering and so on [1]. What I'm getting at is that we are more intellectually blessed than the average internot user and as such we can behave in a more civilised manner. Occasionally we agree to disagree and leave it at that. So we actually make it easy for the moderators, thank goodness.

[0] Most have a great appreciation and use of language, some more than one, even if they haven't studied language theory.

[1]Moon may think that he's not in the "ineffectuals" group but as an Engineer he's doing things daily, and in conditions that would disgust some, that most of us couldn't consider doing because of his training. He has a good mind too, a lens that produces above average results, can hold his own in most discussions and, more importantly, knows what he doesn't know and can step back.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:[...] Occasionally we agree to disagree and leave it at that. So we actually make it easy for the moderators, thank goodness.
It's a rare day that I occasionally don't sit back and reflect upon the cast of characters here and realise precisely how happy I am to be a part of it. One of the reasons I don't need to run the place with an iron fist (velvet glove or no) is that we're usually quite civil even if some of us have theories and ideas that are "less than popular" (I have several). I also don't run it with an iron fist because I enjoy hearing what the cast has been up to because the range of what we do and what our life-experiences are is vast and interesting. Be it Tom and his "knife-and-fork" work, Anthony way off in the Outback in scorching conditions, folks who sail, have a love for machinery, and generally do interesting things we are a very diverse group -- and to keep things rigidly on-topic about skirts only would cheat each and every one of us out of getting a vicarious look at what makes "men in skirts" tick.

So, thanks lads, not just for making the moderators' tasks light lifting, but for being here in the first place and for sharing.

To drift back to this topic at hand: "Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses?" I think were asking the wrong question, because the answer to that question is, "Because most men still don't casually wear dresses.", which yields a circular argument. We need to come at it from a different angle. I'm just not sure from which way to mount an attack.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!