Roseanne sitcom restart

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Roseanne sitcom restart

Post by oldsalt1 »

kingfish wrote:I was surprised.

They have a full on freestyler as a regular character. The youngest boy on the show, Mark, comes on screen dressed like a girl his age. They were more supportive of it than I expected, and it wasn't a the major source of dramatic conflict for the episode. (Those went to the political left-right divide between Jackie and Roseanne and her eldest daughter deciding to take a surrogate motherhood gig.) They did ask the usual questions and cracked the standard joke or two but otherwise acted supportive.

It is going to be interesting to see how it develops.
I just finished watching the first 2 episodes and I have to agree with Kingfish.

This is the first time that I have seen the subject dealt as a part of everyday life. I was never a major fan of the show. But I think they handled the subject very well. I hope that they continue to treat in a similar fashion and don't push it into A "TRANS " situation
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well I see it got the old axe. Thankfully it was apparently not over the skirt wearing boy.

Not like it mattered, the public at large kept calling him "transgender" anyway... seems people just can't seem to wrap their mind around a guy who just wants to choose his own style and be done with it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I doubt that many have heard of free stylers. The general publics frame of references would either be TRANS (which is the fashionable cause of today), or classic TV.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I had been looking forward to this being shown in the UK, not just because of the skirt-wearing boy, but because the Roseanne Show is genuinely funny. I have no problems with the reasons for axing the show - the comment Roseanne made was well over the line, but it would be a shame if her image is so tainted it prevents Series 1 of the reboot of the show getting an airing over here.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

My question is what happened to free speech??

Oh wait a minute we do have free speech as long as it does not offend the liberals and Demorats. If all she was doing was expressing her opinion then what of it. I express my opinion all of the time, but nobody listens to me. If she was not a TV star nobody would have complained at all. I think it is totally unfair of ABC and Disney to have canceled the show, look at all of the people they have put on unemployment. Very few people even knew about her tweet until ABC announced the cancellation of the show. Then Gooble lit up with people trying to find out what she said that was so bad.

Just my $.02 worth, :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

"Why Roseanne Barr’s racist Twitter rant is not a free speech issue"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 78901.html
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:My question is what happened to free speech??...

... If all she was doing was expressing her opinion then what of it.
At issue here is basically the same thing I grappled with during my debate with Food City over whether or not they were going to fire me for wearing skirts on my off time. Though they didn't fire me, I did basically hit the proverbial "ceiling" with regards to advancement, and despite how "good" everyone claims I am at repairing equipment, not one effort was made to retain me after my notice was tendered.

Some will argue that it comes down to ABC's (we'll just consider them "the employer" [0] for this example) right to stop funding a program, who's main character (the main "employee") said something that the network disagrees with, and which could cost them ratings and thus, advertising revenue. The same could be argued for Food City letting me go for skirt wearing, should it ever go viral. Their fear might be that the ultra-conservative demographic here might get their groceries somewhere else.
Oh wait a minute we do have free speech as long as it does not offend the liberals and Demorats.
Though I try to stay "middle of the road" with regards to political issues, I have to say, in my experience what you write here does indeed seem to be the case. The "left" is quick to come to ABC's defense in firing who they deem as "racist", supporting the networks "right" to do so, and yet cast stones at a conservative or Christian business for letting go on someone because the employee might have over-promoted some left wing cause, such as LGBT, abortion, etc etc...

I myself was hurt deeply when my former employer gave me so much grief over something as harmless as what I wear when I'm NOT at work. My view of "America" changed after that. It no longer struck me as a land of tolerance and virtue, rather I struggled with the thoughts and notions as the country I love being full of pure hatred and bigotry. It deeply effected my patriotism, and generally soured my view of western society.

However, even with all of that in mind, I still respected my employers right to do what they had to do to protect their bottom line. About 15,000 employees depend on K-VA-T for an income, and it would be selfish of me to force their hand in embracing what I do at the risk of lost business which would have led to store closures. Despite the constant advice I received to obtain legal counsel, I always refrained from such action, as I somewhat discussed here: (click or link)

At any rate, I wouldn't fret... Something tells me this wont be the last time we'll be hearing from Roseanne Barr. I wouldn't be surprised if the FOX network picked her up, for perhaps someone produced additional "Netflix only" episodes.

[0] I understand Roseanne, like many other Hollywood stars operate on contract, not a traditional "employer/employee" relationship as the everyday Joe does, I only use these terms to help illustrate my point.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

No one said she couldn't have Free speech, however it's when you make racist comments that you get called out for your actions. This is why they pulled her from ABC.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

However Nexflix has taking air Roseane
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JennC03 wrote:however it's when you make racist comments that you get called out for your actions.
That is unless you are a member of a non-white race making a racist remark about whites.

I see it all of the time, and is not only condoned, but seems to actually be encouraged....

... and the fact that I am so hesitant to even write such a blaspheme on a public forum, even an open minded one like this is proof positive that they have won. Welcome to 1984.

*sighs*.... and let me just say, because it's almost a requirement when speaking on something obvious, I must offer this disclaimer: No I'm not a racist, and I don't believe Fred is either, and though I've never met Roseanne, I doubt she really is either. She just blurped out something that she should have known better....

The article S.D. posted is correct though. It is not up to the "authorities" to step in and make ABC do something. What we have here is two non-governmental private parties who came to a civil disagreement. Roseanne made a comment, ABC decided that they didn't want Roseanne representing their network in such a way, and axed her show.

The DOUBLE STANDARD here, is the RIGHT is crying foul this time, and the LEFT is championing ABC...

Again, if this was a matter of Roseanne saying something that was pro-left, such as anything against the LGBT community, abortion, slamming homophobic cake makers, or just generally bashing Trump, then the left would be totally cool with this, and the right would want her head on a plate!

Neither side are interested in "freedom of speech", both sides only want their respective agenda heard, and each seeks to silence the other side.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

From 1972 to 1976 we had a sitcom called "Love Thy Neighbour" [0] which was about next door neighbours who just happened to be different colours. It was hugely popular at the time and it served to display the old bigotries of colour. Believe me the non-white one gave as much as he got. Of course it couldn't be made in these days of colour sensitivity and I'm doubtful whether the series [1] could ever be screened even though the white one was really shown up for his racist views. Episodes may be available on Utub. I am also not racist and ability and personality count for far more than skin colour. As for Roseanne Barr, well she has been controversial in the past and I don't think that this will be the last time. They say that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Moon, I agree with your comments about your former employer. I was pulled up recently and felt at the time that whilst the previous manager was tolerant on the issue the new manager might not which is why I took along some trousers. I appreciate that he was thinking about the image of the store, bearing in mind that we have a large proportion of elderly customers, [2] and he was making suppositions that were probably not valid.

[0] Wikepedia has an entry on it.
[1] There were 7 series and 54 episodes.
[2] I have found that in conversations with the elderly that they aren't as "conservative" as my manager assumes. I've had some good conversations with them about non-standard apparel and good laughs as well. That's not to say that there aren't some grumps around as well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

They cancelled that show that show so fast, I really suspected that they were just waiting for an excuse. Come to find out it was also the same executive that cancelled Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing". Both shows had a not-so-left leaning flavor to them that didn't match much of anything else that network seems to go for.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I had a nice chat with a black man a few years ago. We finally got to know one another so we could speak frankly...

I remarked:

"The system want's me to hate you and blame you for all of the white mans woes, that same system wants you to hate me and blame me for all the black mans woes. You and I were born into poor families, we both drive ratty old vehicles, we both live in relative poverty, and for all that, it appears as though we are in a more or less equal living situation, the only difference is you are black and I am white....

Now, look at who's running "the system", the richest of the rich, the 0.001% elite. For as long as you and I hate one another, we will never go after the REAL source of our woes. The last thing the powers that be want is for us to unite!
"

He agreed and we became friends.
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon that is the absolute truth. More people need to realize that.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

3000 years ago, a Greek philosopher said that a well balanced society consists of an upper class, a middle class and a lower class. The middle class has to be as powerful as the upper class and the lower class together. But as soon as the middle class is weaker than the upper class or the lower class, the upper class will call the shots and will get rid of the rest of the middle class.

Why does this sounds so familiar?
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak