School Girls Win and Boys Lose in Queensland

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: School Girls Win and Boys Lose in Queensland

Post by skirtyscot »

SkirtsDad wrote:... why do people keep bringing everything back to feminists?

That's just Stu.
SkirtsDad wrote: Surely it just serves to highlight that men don't care about equality, after all they have lived with the luxury of power and money for so long. Do you see men fighting to share their privileges? I don't see it.

At the end of the day, there are a very small handful of men, as in here, who would like a bit more choice when it comes to clothes. The majority of men at the moment DO NOT CARE that there are no skirts for men on the highstreet, or that they can't wear a skirt to work. Do you think that they are that bothered for us?

... furthermore, given the lack of interest from males regarding skirt wearing, rather than people complaining that transgender driven equality in uniforms is not bringing about true equality, be thankful that it's achieving sometime we haven't been able to.

Exactly. Most men are perfectly happy with the status quo, and they don't care about men who aren't. The comparison with transgender people, who became the cause célèbre, received a vast amount of support, and made huge strides in about 5 minutes, is stark.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:Like I said... If a boy wants to wear a skirt to school... he needs to just do it!

If there are any problems he can cross that bridge if he needs to...
That is how change is initiated, not by complaining that it isn't happening.

Change can be brought about by the actions of a few (or sometimes just one) on points of principle or law or by a large enough number of people to influence policy or accepted standards. At present a boy who wants to wear a skirt will need to resort to the first action, until some cult hero in a really popular movie wears a skirt causing a sudden interest in boys wearing skirts. The girls had the numbers to attain change the easier way.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have tried to avoid getting into the whole feminist thing on this thread, but FWIW, my observation on feminist are, they are varied on their opinions with regards to mens rights. Some feminist are reasonable, some are not. I've listened to some speak that would be first to stand up for a man at a disadvantage just as she would a woman. Then I've also heard some who it seems "women's advancement" is their sole purpose in life, and they are out for nothing else, and then there are some who would exterminate all men if they thought they could get away with it. All three groups may call themselves "feminist". Some are very intelligent and thoughtful, some are mean and dumb as a box of rocks- just like men.

All that being said, it does seem irrelevant to the article. In fact, not to be "that guy", but the article seems to be irrelevant to men who wear skirts. It's just an article (and a short one at that) about girls being allowed to wear trousers or shorts if they choose.

I have noticed one trend though, when it comes to a western establishment making an announcement that "boys will be allowed to wear skirts", it seems to ALWAYS include the trans* tag.

Hence my comment, and my attempt to turn over a new leaf on this matter. If there should be a boy who wants to wear a skirt or dress or whatever. He should just do it. You know? I mean, why do we need to wait for the permission of the "authorities"? No big scene, no spectacle, no politics, no machoism, no feminist, no walk outs, no swapping restrooms, just a boy wearing what he wants. Of course it would be helpful to have his parents blessing because there may be a little friction. The parents likewise should just play it down and not get all political about it if possible.
webboy42 wrote:
moonshadow wrote:All a boy has to do is "just do it". Don't take "no" for an answer!

Don't talk about it, don't protest about it, don't make a big spectacle, JUST DO IT. They ask why, he says "'cause I want to".

Any boy who wants to wear what the girls wear doesn't owe anyone sh!t for an explanation! :!:

Nice idea in theory, but there are consequences for rebellion and not all boys will have your strength.
Yes there could be consequences, but such is the cost of freedom. Sometimes you've just got to stand up and take what's rightfully yours! (in this case, the freedom to choose)

Yes it takes strength and courage to stand up for yourself. But don't think I haven't had a few sleepless nights over it. That time back in April 2016 when it came out at my old job, I didn't know where I stood. I had a teenager who still had a year left on school, I had a high rent payment, car payment, not much in savings, and no where to go if things went south... I gambled my job with this. It complicated matters right up until the time I finally left almost two years later, and was a constant source of drama and anxiety. And yes, I've had my share of disputes with family and friends over it, but I never stopped. I stayed out of their precious little stores like they advised me to, I didn't bring it up anymore as was suggested. But you all saw for yourself, I kept right on uploading those photos like clockwork weekend after weekend on flickr, I kept right at making those outings, going places, seeing people, and smiling about it. I didn't take "no" for an answer.

I've dealt with the ugly comments, the sneers, the homophobic slurs, the laughing, being denied housing, avoiding certain businesses, certain areas, so on and so forth.

When they said "I couldn't" I replied "I ain't askin..."

However, let me say, that I don't think I could have come this far without my wife's (Jenn) support. In fact had she had left me at the first onset of trouble I probably would have had no choice but to nix the skirts as a man has to eat first, change the world later.... Such as it would be with a minor boys parents. He needs their blessing. If he has that... he's got this in the bag! To hell with what the school says in that case...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

crfriend wrote:In the USA now it's possible for a man to lose his livelihood -- and even his freedom -- at the mere accusation of a woman whether that accusation is perjurous or factual.
I don't think that situation is unique to the US.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

moonshadow wrote:All that being said, it does seem irrelevant to the article. In fact, not to be "that guy", but the article seems to be irrelevant to men who wear skirts. It's just an article (and a short one at that) about girls being allowed to wear trousers or shorts if they choose.
I'll admit its relevance to men who wear skirts is low, but it could be considered relevant in the sense that it discusses freedom of choice in clothing. Freedom of choice for girls only to be sure, but it is about freedom of choice none-the-less. Also, an article like this can highlight how far men still have to go before men in skirts is considered unremarkable instead of novel.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

webboy42 wrote:
moonshadow wrote:All that being said, it does seem irrelevant to the article. In fact, not to be "that guy", but the article seems to be irrelevant to men who wear skirts. It's just an article (and a short one at that) about girls being allowed to wear trousers or shorts if they choose.
I'll admit its relevance to men who wear skirts is low, but it could be considered relevant in the sense that it discusses freedom of choice in clothing. Freedom of choice for girls only to be sure, but it is about freedom of choice none-the-less. Also, an article like this can highlight how far men still have to go before men in skirts is considered unremarkable instead of novel.
The article is not discussing "freedom of choice in clothing"... it is not about "men in skirts"... it is about giving school girls the right to wear society's de facto standard apparel of trousers and not forcing them into something that is shown in research to reduce their physical activity and is seen by many as sexist, outdated and discriminatory.

You can compare this, if you wish, with the responses to a UK school's proposed gender neutral uniform that permits boys to wear skirts.... responses such as:
it would "send a most unhelpful and unwelcome signal to impressionable young men and teenagers during their formative years"

You can read the whole article here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... ar-skirts/

Back to Australia:
If you dig around you will find that change to girls uniform is part of a wider "review into Queensland’s state schools uniform policy" that will "consider including gender neutral uniform options" when they update the student dress code procedure this year.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:The article is not discussing "freedom of choice in clothing"... it is not about "men in skirts"... it is about giving school girls the right to wear society's de facto standard apparel of trousers and not forcing them into something that is shown in research to reduce their physical activity and is seen by many as sexist, outdated and discriminatory.
Substitute "radical feminists" for "many" in the above and it would be closer to factual. Most folks really couldn't give a toss; it's only a certain subset with an agenda and an axe to grind that really care. It's also very seldom about men in skirts -- it's about expanding "choice" for a subset of the population. It's not about equality at all.
You can compare this, if you wish, with the responses to a UK school's proposed gender neutral uniform that permits boys to wear skirts.... responses such as:
it would "send a most unhelpful and unwelcome signal to impressionable young men and teenagers during their formative years"
This, on the other hand, is herd-mentality that equates anything remotely outside the "accepted norm" as a sign of sexual perversion. It's the herd-think that needs to be changed. Unfortunately, that's a very large ship, and those with courage a very small rudder.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is a bit crazy that there is a move away from skirts, particularly in a warm humid climate like coastal Queensland, as we know the pleasure of skirts. I do suggest that skirts are of more benefit to males than females.
Perhaps not all girls will take the pants option, certainly when I was travelling on public transport around Sydney, there were many teen school girls who seemed to take pleasure in wearing very short skirts, aka japan style.
I saw no boys in skirts, although when I was confronted with 50 to 100 school boys and girls at a railway platform there was never a murmer about my attire.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:I saw no boys in skirts, although when I was confronted with 50 to 100 school boys and girls at a railway platform there was never a murmer about my attire.
There might be a few boys who think about it after seeing you there. I think in many cases it just doesn't occur to most boys that a skirt is a workable option.

That's why I think the best way to promote the idea is to do it boldy, and with confidence in the public eye. Most boys don't give a crap, nor are they waiting on permission from the feminist to wear skirts. They probably never really considered it. That is... until they saw a man who does... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

moonshadow wrote:
denimini wrote:I saw no boys in skirts, although when I was confronted with 50 to 100 school boys and girls at a railway platform there was never a murmer about my attire.
There might be a few boys who think about it after seeing you there.
More likely, I reckon, is that a few girls think about it and suggest to some boys that they try it. Some just for a laugh, some genuinely thinking "why not?". And most of the chosen few boys will say "Not on your Nellie" or words to that effect. But some might try it. Some just for a laugh, some genuinely thinking "Why not?". Which leaves precious few of those boys trying on a skirt. But at least the idea has been put in front of them; you never know where that will lead.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtyscot wrote: More likely, I reckon, is that a few girls think about it and suggest to some boys that they try it. Some just for a laugh, some genuinely thinking "why not?". And most of the chosen few boys will say "Not on your Nellie" or words to that effect. But some might try it. Some just for a laugh, some genuinely thinking "Why not?". Which leaves precious few of those boys trying on a skirt. But at least the idea has been put in front of them; you never know where that will lead.
I initially tried a skirt on as a laugh ...... a laugh for my partner ............ at my expense.
As soon as I had it on I thought, and probably said "Gee, this feels great, why aren't men wearing these"
So even if trying on for a laugh may start a change in attitude.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Never underestimate the power of curiosity, nor that of humour. Both are astonishingly powerful. The former, given proper constraints (like competent risk-management) allow us to learn things that otherwise would have been utterly unthinkable -- the latter, well deployed, can be a force that can move minds more powerfully than TNT can move mountains.

Contemplate those two for a moment. "I was curious what a skirt would be like, so I tried one -- and, gosh, as surprised as I was, I liked it!" Or, "I tried it as a gag -- at my expense -- and liked it enough that folks now no longer laugh at me, they laugh with me."

Both, of course, are nothing but tools -- and as we all know, tools can be used for good purposes or nefarious ones. Sometimes the lines blur, just to muddy the waters. But, they remain incredibly powerful. Ignore them at your peril. Wield them wisely when you can.

Ultimately, what we conceal our natural nakedness with really shouldn't matter one jot to an observer, and if it does it's likely something internal to that observer. For the most part, folks really don't care so long as your interactions with them are otherwise "normal" (i.e. you present as a decent human being and not some type of creep). One's behaviour is vastly more important than what one is garbed in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!