School Girls Win and Boys Lose in Queensland

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
webboy42

School Girls Win and Boys Lose in Queensland

Post by webboy42 »

It seems that Queensland's Education Minister, a woman of course, has decided that girls will be formally allowed to wear shorts and pants as part of public school uniforms. No mention is made of the same freedom being extended to boys to wear skirts and dresses, but we all know the likelyhood of that being part of the policy change is very low. I think the final quote of the article sums up quite nicely the Orwellian equality dictated by feminists:
Education Minister Grace Grace wrote:Everyone should be entitled to be able to choose shorts and pants.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4z3y9.html
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: School Girls Win and Boys Lose in Queensland

Post by Stu »

Typical.

They keep telling us that feminism is "just about equality" when really it's a movement to gain rights for females and they couldn't care less when males experience discrimination.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Ms Grace said the change was about giving girls a choice.
"Everyone should be entitled to be able to choose shorts and pants."

I don't believe it ever occurred to her to think in the other direction: to give all the possibility to choose shorts and pants and skirts and dresses. That would be a step into the modern world.

Blindsided in my book.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

All a boy has to do is "just do it". Don't take "no" for an answer!

Don't talk about it, don't protest about it, don't make a big spectacle, JUST DO IT. They ask why, he says "'cause I want to".

Any boy who wants to wear what the girls wear doesn't owe anyone sh!t for an explanation! :!:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:That would be a step into the modern world.
This isn't the modern world. See Stu's comment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:
beachlion wrote:That would be a step into the modern world.
This isn't the modern world. See Stu's comment.
You are right. The wording was "modern age."
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

moonshadow wrote:All a boy has to do is "just do it". Don't take "no" for an answer!

Don't talk about it, don't protest about it, don't make a big spectacle, JUST DO IT. They ask why, he says "'cause I want to".

Any boy who wants to wear what the girls wear doesn't owe anyone sh!t for an explanation! :!:
Nice idea in theory, but there are consequences for rebellion and not all boys will have your strength.

Given that I'm not in a position to do as you suggest, having left school more than 15 years ago, I decided to write an email to the minister in question. I doubt it'll have any effect, but I can feel proud for at least trying on behalf of Queensland boys who might want to wear a skirt and don't want to identify as female to do it.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Stu wrote:Typical.

They keep telling us that feminism is "just about equality" when really it's a movement to gain rights for females and they couldn't care less when males experience discrimination.
Well, what do you expect? Feminism is a load of people (mostly women, natch) working together to achieve something they care about, namely rights for women. Why should they be bothered about rights or equality for men? If men want that, men should push for that themselves.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who want equality, rather than extra rights for one sex. But they are not feminists (or not only feminists).
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

There is certainly a logical argument for boys to have the same amount of choice. I suspect the reason this is not happening is that there is not the push from boys or their parents for them to have the choice of skirts or dresses, compared to the widespread pressure for the girls.
I don't believe females are favoured for choice, I think they earn it as they have to do for so many things men take for granted; higher status jobs, equal wages, etc. I think most men are not so brave and more worried about conforming to a macho image, and skirts don't figure.
There is not the groundswell of males interested in wearing skirts or dresses to make a change and until there is, for whatever reason triggers it, we will remain the brave minority of rebels.

I don't think boys lost, they just didn't enter the race.
Last edited by denimini on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

denimini wrote:There is certainly a logical argument for boys to have the same amount of choice. I suspect the reason this is not happening is that there is not the push from boys or their parents for them to have the choice of skirts or dresses, compared to the widespread pressure fot the girls.
I don't believe females are favoured for choice, I think they earn it as they have to do for so many things men take for granted; higher status jobs, equal wages, etc. I think most men are not so brave and more worried about conforming to a macho image, and skirts don't figure.
There is not the groundswell of males interested in wearing skirts or dresses to make a change and until there is, for whatever reason triggers it, we will remain the brave minority of rebels.

I don't thing boys lost, they just didn't enter the race.
Yeah, I agree with that.

As for the idea that females are not favoured with choice; I would say that to make that statement you have to pick and choose which "choices" you privilege as being worthy of being considered. In my experience, women have a lot more choice than men, overall.
Daryl...
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

skirtyscot wrote:

Well, what do you expect? Feminism is a load of people (mostly women, natch) working together to achieve something they care about, namely rights for women. Why should they be bothered about rights or equality for men? If men want that, men should push for that themselves.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who want equality, rather than extra rights for one sex. But they are not feminists (or not only feminists).
One either advocates for equality, or one doesn't. Equality means equality for all, otherwise it's not equality. If feminists claim their aim is to achieve equality while disregarding inequalities where males are the victims, then they are hypocrites.

Anyone who has read feminist theory or literature knows that mainstream feminism has no interest in equality: they achieved that years ago. Its aim is privilege for women and girls at the expense of men and boys.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

skirtyscot wrote:

I agree skirtyscott, but also, why do people keep bringing everything back to feminists? Surely it just serves to highlight that men don't care about equality, after all they have lived with the luxury of power and money for so long. Do you see men fighting to share their privileges? I don't see it.

At the end of the day, there are a very small handful of men, as in here, who would like a bit more choice when it comes to clothes. The majority of men at the moment DO NOT CARE that there are no skirts for men on the highstreet, or that they can't wear a skirt to work. Do you think that they are that bothered for us?

Daryl wrote:
denimini wrote:There is certainly a logical argument for boys to have the same amount of choice. I suspect the reason this is not happening is that there is not the push from boys or their parents for them to have the choice of skirts or dresses, compared to the widespread pressure fot the girls.

I don't thing boys lost, they just didn't enter the race.
Yeah, I agree with that.

As for the idea that females are not favoured with choice; I would say that to make that statement you have to pick and choose which "choices" you privilege as being worthy of being considered. In my experience, women have a lot more choice than men, overall.
Absolutely denimini, and furthermore, given the lack of interest from males regarding skirt wearing, rather than people complaining that transgender driven equality in uniforms is not bringing about true equality, be thankful that it's achieving sometime we haven't been able to.

We are not that far from the world where, in the West, virtually the only way for a woman to leave home was to get married. It still exists today in some places around the world. I recall many households, particularly those of relatives, where the man controlled the money. On one occasion, an uncle of mine wouldn't let his wife buy a skirt she liked in the sale, even though she worked and helped pay for the house etc. Being reliant on someone else, and having decisions made for you is not choice. Yes, for probably most today it is very different. Thanks to the women's movements, things have changed a lot. Just as they have made things happen, we need to step up if we are going to stand a chance.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Like I said... If a boy wants to wear a skirt to school... he needs to just do it!

If there are any problems he can cross that bridge if he needs to...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Stu, I think we are in agreement about feminists, except that you say that they are hypocrites for saying that they want equality when they don't really, and I say they are honestly saying that they want rights for women. I think we've been listening to different feminists.

Anyway, the way they have usually (i.e. when it suits them) gone about getting rights is by demanding equality. And the effect of that is that, as Moon says, is that a boy could wear a skirt to school if he wanted to, because ultimately the law would support him.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Anyway, the way they have usually (i.e. when it suits them) gone about getting rights is by demanding equality. And the effect of that is that, as Moon says, is that a boy could wear a skirt to school if he wanted to, because ultimately the law would support him.
Would it, though? Recall that the school years are a time of positively massive pressure to conform, and frequently that pressure takes the form of physical violence. Most pernicious of all, is that violence if tacitly condoned at the highest levels: Parents condone it by encouraging their boys to fight; school administrators condone it by complete and utter inaction when it comes to bullying in spite of rhetoric to the contrary. So boys -- especially the smaller and less physical ones -- cave to the pressure to (hopefully) keep themselves from getting the crap kicked out of them by the larger and more brutal kids. It's a god-awful time, so I don't see much of a hope for anything coming out of it that'd challenge the status quo.

As for the differences in "feminists", there are multiple types. You're likely familiar with the rather old-school (and largely obsolete) "equality feminist", and Stu is familiar with the really radical type. The former has largely won everything they wanted; the latter is trying to take over the world by utterly emasculating men and subjugating them -- and they're winning. In the USA now it's possible for a man to lose his livelihood -- and even his freedom -- at the mere accusation of a woman whether that accusation is perjurous or factual. It's getting to be a scary place to live.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!