Australian heatbusters

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
VoxClamantis

Australian heatbusters

Post by VoxClamantis »

Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Australian heatbusters

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:soapbox:
Having read the article I take umbridge with one thing he kept saying "MAN SKIRT".
It is either a skirt or it isn't. Skirts are unisex garments. There isn't anything called a "MAN SKIRT". :x :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:It is either a skirt or it isn't. Skirts are unisex garments. There isn't anything called a "MAN SKIRT". :x :x
I do agree with you, but we all know there are a few out there who have might have their masculine ego's bruised if they call their "man skirt" what is is... a skirt... :wink:

Real men wear whatever they want, even if it's not the world approves of...

Pansies wear clothes only if the world applies the appropriate label!

Incidentally, I feel the same way about witches.... woman witches and man witches... a witch is a witch!

There's no such thing as a man witch, aside from Manwich™ but that's something you mix with ground beef for a quick and easy meal!

I like the patchwork skirt....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Incidentally, I feel the same way about witches.... woman witches and man witches... a witch is a witch!
Do they both weigh the same as a duck and, hence, are made from wood, which is good for burning? {dives for cover so as not to be seen}
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Incidentally, I feel the same way about witches.... woman witches and man witches... a witch is a witch!
Do they both weigh the same as a duck and, hence, are made from wood, which is good for burning? {dives for cover so as not to be seen}
Which witch is good for burning? :lol: :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I hate this man-skirt term. Is that all it takes, print man-skirt on the label and men will start wearing them?
When I visited friends in Sydney who hadn't seen me in a skirt before, two separately commented on my 14" khaki denim mini without a pleat to be seen:
"Hmmm, kilt eh?"
I replied casually, "No, it is a mini skirt"

For goodness sake guys, call a skirt a skirt.

When women started wearing pants they didn't come up with a new term (lady-pants?), although "slacks" seemed to be used more for women and trousers wasn't.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

LOL, DM. I've gotten the same "is that a kilt?" question and I always answer, "no, it's just a skirt." The interlocutor then usually falls silent.

You make a good (and humorous) observation as to the "lady-pants." Personally, though, if marketing man-skirts will bring the garment unto wider usage, I'd be totally ok with that. Just as "short pants" eventually became "shorts", I don't think it would take too many years for the "man-" to fall out of usage.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

If some are so unconfident in their desired masculinity as to need a "man-skirt", that's fine with me. After "man-skirts" become more common, we can start educating folk the term shows a lack of confidence. I don't even see "masculinity" as a desired trait, although I like the outdoors, fishing, fixing things and such.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Now that I think on it a bit more, I suspect that "is that a kilt" is just a codeswitch for "is that a man-skirt." Code switching (a linguistic term) happens when speakers try to map one language on top of another. People may say "kilt" but aren't they really thinking "a skirt or skirt-like garment worn by men"? Anyone who knows what a kilt actually looks like would immediately be able to answer that question for themselves. So what they're doing is searching for a word to describe something that doesn't exist in their head. (One time a dude actually asked me if I was wearing a "quiche" but I knew he meant "kilt"!)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:?..Is that all it takes, print man-skirt on the label and men will start wearing them?...
For some people, especially beginners, it does make a difference. For example, they'll buy no-fly mantyhose for three times the price of pantyhose sold to women, despite the fact that the products are essentially identical.

Skirts for men might be slightly more marketable if they carried dual markings, such as, "Men's 34, Women's 16," on the size tag.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Caultron wrote:Skirts for men might be slightly more marketable if they carried dual markings, such as, "Men's 34, Women's 16," on the size tag.
Very, very perspicacious and very well said.

This forum needs a moderated topic listing those types of ideas and observations to empower and equip manufacturers and marketers to successfully launch a skirt line for men.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Caultron, it'll never happen. The clothing manufacturers can't even agree on what size 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 etc mean. And S, M, L, XL etc is even more vague. I have a wardrobe full of skirts varying i size from 8 ( elasticated waist ) to 20 ( a bit loose and needs a belt ) AND THEY ALL FIT!!!! I have a ( small ) number of black dresses of M, 16 and 18 in size and they all fit. Conversely I have trousers of 34 and 36 waist and they all fit, more or less. So how can they ever get together to get an agreement between men's and women's sizes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:Caultron, it'll never happen. The clothing manufacturers can't even agree on what size 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 etc mean. And S, M, L, XL etc is even more vague. I have a wardrobe full of skirts varying i size from 8 ( elasticated waist ) to 20 ( a bit loose and needs a belt ) AND THEY ALL FIT!!!! I have a ( small ) number of black dresses of M, 16 and 18 in size and they all fit. Conversely I have trousers of 34 and 36 waist and they all fit, more or less. So how can they ever get together to get an agreement between men's and women's sizes.
Agreed, the meaning of 8, 10, 12..., and of S, M, L, XL, and even of 30, 32, 34... will likely never be standardized.

But I think just having Men's (gibberish), Women's (gibberish) on the tag or floor sign will, at least for some, partially legitimize the garment as being for men.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, I suppose it will be a step in some direction or other. Probably not forwards, maybe sidewards of diagonally. Still a load of obfuscation I'll grant you that. As for the man-skirt business I don't care what they end up calling them ( and they will think up some fancy name to obscure what the garment really is ) as long as they get them on sale with the right design and at the right price. What is the right design? Well we've had this discussion before with some good ideas but only moderate consensus.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.