NYPost: Another Article about Mens Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

NYPost: Another Article about Mens Skirts

Post by phathack »

Are skirts the next men’s fashion trend?

In an era during which rules seem meant to be broken — and more and more people are calling for gender equality — it should surprise no one that the fashion world is the head cheerleader for change. Case in point: the Fall 2018 Menswear designers presenting a variety of skirts on their runways.

A wrap skirt paired with a matching jacket showed up at the Astrid Andersen show in London, as well as a flasher-worthy trench dress at Alex Mullins, and a a flirty full skirt bounced along at Bobby Abley.

Then, Undercover presenting a plethora of pleated maxi skirts in Florence. Designer Jun Takahashi opened with five looks ranging from minimalist monochromatic to grungy, head-to-toe plaid. But the literal showstopper was the finale: a parade of topless men in white maxiskirts.

Don’t expect many men to embrace that style — but it’s definitely a talker for our times

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/are-skirt ... ion-trend/
:ugeek:
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: NYPost: Another Article about Mens Skirts

Post by JohnH »

That's good for a start but I think it would be better if there could be formal business wear such as worn by Oldsalt1 and Mark (as in Mark).

John
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

"Are skirts the next men’s fashion trend?"
Actually, as not to be selfish, I hope skirts do become fashionable for men so people like Dennis will not have the problems at home.
Personally, I would hate people to think I was wearing a skirt because it was a fashion trend - that is just not me.
The green skater skirt on the right would be OK without the hoodie and trackie daks. Generally I don't like much designed for men.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

It's nice to see the models don't have shaven legs. That is a sign that this is a masculine look, not feminizing. That's is important for wider acceptance.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Pro tip: when a newspaper headline asks a question, the answer is "no". Unfortunate in this case, but it is almost always true.

I'm not sure I want it to be the next trend, because that implies that it will pushed aside by the next trend before we know it. "Oh, you're still wearing skirts, they're so 2018!" Much better that they become accepted as menswear in the long term.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Pro tip: when a newspaper headline asks a question, the answer is "no". Unfortunate in this case, but it is almost always true.
Sceptic! I like the approach; it works vastly more often than not.

On skirt-wearing for guys becoming a "trend": Likely nothing would doom it faster; like all fads, it'll die a quick death and be forgotten or ridiculed. General acceptance is the best path forward.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I got it from Andrew Marr's book "My Trade" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Marr so it is literally a pro tip.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Hey I didn't realize I was setting a fashion trend I posted this back in November from a trip I took into NYC :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

skirtyscot wrote:I got it from Andrew Marr's book "My Trade" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Marr so it is literally a pro tip.
My friend Ian also has the same rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridg ... _headlines
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I found that article via a Twitter. The responses were mostly not only No but "Hell No, if my son comes home dressed that way I will Kill Him."

Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

skirtyscot wrote:Pro tip: when a newspaper headline asks a question, the answer is "no". Unfortunate in this case, but it is almost always true.
I've seen the occasional VERY RARE exception, but that does almost always seem to be the case. In this particular instance the rule holds because what appears on fashion runways never reflects what you'll find actual humans wearing. The styles are deliberately outrageous to call attention to the designer, and at best you might find one or two celebrities wearing them who like getting attention for being different. Then, as you say, the fad will be gone by the next year's big show.

More generally, I've learned to ignore cutting-edge "is this the next big thing?" articles whether related to fashion, politics, technology, whatever. "Will we soon have sentient wind turbines powering everyone's homes? These scientists have stumbled across a possibility that might in the next few decades blah blah blah..." "Researchers say that someday we might be able to convert lead into gold using cold fusion powered by quantum computers wired together with DNA...."

No matter how much I want to believe it, I'm not holding my breath. Getting back to the topic at hand, the stories about groups of regular folk wearing skirts -- even if it's just for a protest or special occasion -- give me more hope that men in skirts are getting normalized than any fringe case like upscale fashion designers ever do.
Ralph!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

We're all fashion trend setters... :lol:
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

For those of us who wear skirts out in the public eye, that... is our runway. We choose our own styles, and we put on a public display.

What we do each day probably has a better chance of changing minds than some of the ridiculous stuff you see on runway catwalks. Even my looks, eclectic as they tend to be, are still tame by comparison.

I'll betcha I've gotten a few guys at least thinking about wearing a skirt! :wink:

And then there's the children who see us. Ages toddler to preteen. Those will be the minds changed in the coming generation. Ironically, even if the parent condemns it to the child, it now places the practice in the realm of "forbidden fruit", and that notion sticks with the childs memory into adulthood. As we all know, "forbidden fruit" tends to attract people. A lot of boys and men may not have really considered wearing a skirt, which could be the biggest reason they never tried!

I know prior to moving to Damascus VA and observing the AT hikers wearing skirts on occasion, the thought never occurred to me that this (skirt wearing) could be a real possibility!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Sceptic! I like the approach; it works vastly more often than not.

On skirt-wearing for guys becoming a "trend": Likely nothing would doom it faster; like all fads, it'll die a quick death and be forgotten or ridiculed. General acceptance is the best path forward.
Yeah, like denim was a trend in the sixties. Sure glad that passed away quickly. :lol:
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

phathack wrote:
Are skirts the next men’s fashion trend?
I would hope the answer is "yes, except for that ludicrous clown outfit".
Daryl...