Berlin, November 13, 1927

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Berlin, November 13, 1927

Post by Caultron »

Man in skirt or woman with men's haircut?

Be sure to check out the reactions behind them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/486881409707505511/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Berlin, November 13, 1927

Post by beachlion »

Yes, Berlin was a swinging city. It was competing with Paris and London in the field of mondain extravaganza. But then a counter-movement erupted and the lights went out .......

https://www.amazon.de/Swing-Tanzen-Verb ... B0000918PJ
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Actually, after further investigation, it appears this is supposed to be a woman in men's suit coat and hairstyle, ala Marlene Dietrich, I suppose.

Open the following link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=AW9FA ... 27&f=false

and start reading about halfway through page 37 as numbered in the document.

Intriguing, though...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

The 20s and early 30s were a very turbulent. Only the rich, happy few were able to have a lifestyle like that. The communist and extreme right factions were fighting each other. The Reichsmark was falling like a brick. Movies and magazines that showed a decadency like that had the same effect on the less fortunate. Opium for the people. During the Great Depression: same story. And I think we are in the same situation again, be it in a lighter form.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:[...] I think we are in the same situation again, be it in a lighter form.
We are in precisely the same situation. The bubble just hasn't burst yet. Give it another couple of years on the same trajectory.

We're already seeing the rise, once again, of the far right, and we're in an economic bubble that makes the late 1920s look tame. My main fear is that this time the thing will detonate instead of simply catching fire.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:Man in skirt or woman with men's haircut?

Be sure to check out the reactions behind them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/486881409707505511/
It reminds me of a encounter some time ago in one of the Swedish furniture outlets. I was walking behind a man in a utility kilt, waxcoat, wollen knee high socks, ponytail. A bit like the guy which is always with his landrover in a traditional kilt of which you can find pictures on the net. I had the chance to see the reactions of other customers and yes indeed, just like the couple in the background, whispering amongst each other. Particularly a mother and daughter both wearing trousers/pants.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote:
beachlion wrote:[...] I think we are in the same situation again, be it in a lighter form.
We are in precisely the same situation. The bubble just hasn't burst yet. Give it another couple of years on the same trajectory.

We're already seeing the rise, once again, of the far right, and we're in an economic bubble that makes the late 1920s look tame. My main fear is that this time the thing will detonate instead of simply catching fire.
I agree fully. Also the number of narcist country leaders is increasing and one nutcase is suffice.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:The 20s and early 30s were a very turbulent. Only the rich, happy few were able to have a lifestyle like that. The communist and extreme right factions were fighting each other. The Reichsmark was falling like a brick. Movies and magazines that showed a decadency like that had the same effect on the less fortunate. Opium for the people. During the Great Depression: same story. And I think we are in the same situation again, be it in a lighter form.
The usual result of excess concentration of wealth is revolution. I just hope it's at the ballot box.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:The usual result of excess concentration of wealth is revolution. I just hope it's at the ballot box.
It won't be. The ballot box is already closed and has been for almost 20 years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!