After Action Report: Meeting in re: Transgender Rights

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: After Action Report: Meeting in re: Transgender Rights

Post by Sinned »

I was on a jury once and the others selected me as foreman. I was starting to lose my hearing at that time and hadn't yet been issued with haring aids so I struggled to hear some of what was said in the trial. When the time came for the verdict I was nearly sh*tt*ng myself because suddenly I realised that of the judge realised how poor my hearing was the case could have been dismissed on that basis. I hoped that the judge didn't ask too many questions. The only one was for the verdict. We were then dismissed for the rest of the week. Out of a full week we served only two and a half days. The trial lasted about four hours, the prosecution was, frankly, cr*p, and although we thought the guy was guilty the prosecutor just didn't prove the case at all and so we had to find not guilty. I can remember us in the jury room and me saying, "Do we think the guy is guilty?" "Yes." "Now let's cut the ********, did the prosecutor prove the case?" "No." "Then we have to find him not guilty then." Case decided. There was a bit of discussion to and fro, we had a drink as we didn't want to appear too hasty before calling the clerk to say we were ready. My faith in justice a little diminished as a result of the experience.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I managed to get myself rejected from a jury. When you get called for jury service, you have to fill in a form stating (amongst a whole load of other things) your occupation. At the time I was a tax inspector. Many tax inspectors are a little shy about their job, and if asked will say they are a civil servant - it sounds safe and bland. But I was advised by someone who was involved in the court system that if I stated that I was a tax inspector, the defence Counsel would object to me being on the jury. (At the time, either side could object to up to three jurors without giving their reasons.) A tax inspector's job involves law enforcement, but unlike just about anybody else who is remotely involved with the law - lawyers, policemen, court officials, all sorts - they are not exempt from jury service. So I took the advice and wrote the dreaded words on the form. To be on the safe side, I turned up in a suit and my smart work coat, and spent as much time as possible conspicuously reading a broadsheet newspaper. We got into Court and my name was drawn out of the hat. Literally before I had had time to fold up my paper and stand up to walk towards the jury box, the defence had objected to me and I was free to go. Result!

That was before my skirting days. I was called again more recently and was sorely tempted to turn up in a skirt. But the previous week's trial overran, and my week was over before I was even required to turn up. I like to think I would have had the balls to go skirted, but I think I may be kidding myself. Maybe next time!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jury duty is generally dreaded over here stateside. For good reason too, it's mandatory, as in required by law, if your chosen to serve, and it doesn't pay much. So if you have a high paying job and you have the type of bills that come with high paying jobs, such as a big car payment, mortgage, etc sitting in a jury box for weeks on end can be a significant and unexpected financial set back.

I'm fortunate that my employer (per their handbook) compensates the difference in jury pay towards your normal daily pay. But many employers don't, and obviously the self employed would have difficulty as well. That being said, I was in the pool for jury duty once, and I worked a job at the time that didn't compensate the difference, and to beat all it was a murder trial so it could have went on for weeks. I was somewhat eager to participate, but on the other hand I wasn't too enthused about receiving about 1/3 of my normal pay for an uncertain amount of time.

They say the trick to avoiding jury duty is to not vote in most elections. When I lived in the Town of Pulaski VA I voted in every single local election and enjoyed it more than the big ones (presidents, congress, etc) mainly because the actual candidate would be at the polling station shaking hands and you could talk to them about what ever local issue you were facing. Never really understood why so few people don't get more involved in local politics. To me that's where the fun is. Those are the people who actually determine the laws and ordinances to determine whether your house can get that new addition, if we'll get that new park or school or not, paving a road, etc. As far as civics go, some of the best times I had were when I was involved in town policy.

Since I no longer own real property I don't really get involved like I used to, but if that should change and I begin to attend a few council and B.O.S. meetings again since I'll be simply "Joe Q. Voter" (and taxpayer) I'll dress how I please! The common folk don't have to dress "lawyerly" at small town council meetings. When I lived in Pulaski, I recall a local farmer showing up in bibbs and straw hat regarding something to do with his chickens.

I still enjoy my visits to Pulaski though just to say "hello" to my old friends who ran the town. A few weeks ago when I visited the "Pulaski Fest", I saw an old friend of mine who is also the Towns Economic Director, he remarked that he "loved my outfit". He's a good fellow, and had me on his personal facebook for a while (back when I had it)... he was (may still be) VERY pro-LGBT.

His wife seemed a little confused by it though... :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Great account Moon.

Jury duty pay is a joke in my county and while much better for federal jury duty it's still not much. Fortunately, the obligation usually only lasts a day and I don't think I've ever spent more than a week on a case.

Whatever your feelings about jury duty, the state of the country and the world please VOTE! If you don't vote, please don't vote. You could have made a difference and chose not to. Even if you're in a jerrymandered district, your vote counts because it gives the politicos a measure of the opposition.

SO VOTE!!!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Great account Moon.
Whatever your feelings about jury duty, the state of the country and the world please VOTE! If you don't vote, please don't vote. You could have made a difference and chose not to. Even if you're in a jerrymandered district, your vote counts because it gives the politicos a measure of the opposition.

SO VOTE!!!
I totally agree with this, Dave. It's so important. I remember a conversation a few years ago with my step-daughter who was reluctant to make the effort to go to the polling station to vote - 'I never know who to vote for', 'they're all the same', 'my vote won't make any difference', etc.

I explained that in the past people, especially women, had died, or had been tortured (I think of force-feeding in jail as a form of torture), whilst protesting and campaigning to give everyone the right to vote, and that it was her (my step-daughter's) moral and civil obligation to go along to the polling station and vote, even if she decided to leave the ballot paper options un-crossed as a form of abstention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette

It did seem to make her reconsider and (as far as I know) she now votes in elections.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Stevie D wrote:I explained that in the past people, especially women, had died, or had been tortured (I think of force-feeding in jail as a form of torture), whilst protesting and campaigning to give everyone the right to vote,
Stevie - There are conflicting takes on that narrative these days. Check out Prof. Janice Fiamengo's video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ed2BIOHbQ
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote:
Stevie D wrote:I explained that in the past people, especially women, had died, or had been tortured (I think of force-feeding in jail as a form of torture), whilst protesting and campaigning to give everyone the right to vote,
Stevie - There are conflicting takes on that narrative these days. Check out Prof. Janice Fiamengo's video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ed2BIOHbQ
Interesting, and in these modern days where all people like me hear are how "my kind" oppressed virtually every living thing in historical times, I too often overlook the simple fact that under the original law of the land, as a renter, I would have had NO VOTE.

She also makes an interesting call about conscription (WWI), whereas we often hear about a woman's right to choose in regards to abortion/contraception/etc (which by the way, I agree with Carl Sagan's take on the issue), yet seem to ignore that the mandatory call for a man to lay his own life down for his country, a country that often simply profits from wars - a grand chess game played by a very small elite group of (men I'm sure), with those in the trenches as the worthless pawns, and in an ultimate effort to "protect the queen".

Though I support reasonable feminism, I.E. the treatment of women as equals, I must admit I've simply given up on bringing awareness of the plight of the common class man, which by the way come in all races, including white. In many ways, to even have the audacity to say that I am worth any amount at all, or to bring any kind of awareness to the struggles of myself and my brethren is akin to pissing in the wind.

While the woman in the video may be correct, note the statistics: less than 25,000 views and the video was uploaded over a year ago. Meanwhile anything "toilet humor" goes viral overnight. It would seem that as far as this issue goes, people, both men and women just don't give a sh!t. Men are happy to die for whatever reason, and women generally are happy to let them. Why do women always get what they want? Because the squeaky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease! Men have been conditioned into silence, for to protest anything is considered ungentlemanly.

But really, I believe it all boils down to a much more simple issue, that being a very small minority of people (who knows the sex) who basically run the world. Their objective is to keep the common masses fighting among themselves, killing over the crumbs that fall from the big table while they get fatter and fatter on the backs of billions. I believe it's the reason for the race wars in the U.S., and the holy wars in the Middle East. However, if Ms. Clinton gets elected I don't believe there will be a new "war of the sexes", because I'm firmly convinced that, as is always the case, nobody argues with women.

As far as my vote, still uncertain. And I'm entertaining the notion of simply writing someone in. Ultimately for someone like me, literally it doesn't really matter which one wins. Each of the two candidates represents about 20% of my ideals, for a grand total of 40%, and that's being generous. However in either case, the same percentage of my ideals will be represented and there is no overlap. Still, both put together don't even amount for half of what I believe this country needs. Suffice it to say, I really think we're just screwed. In past elections I've given my vote to Gary Johnson, however I don't think I will again this year as I've just been somewhat unimpressed with the Libertarians this go around. I'm greatly disappointed that Bernie Sanders isn't on the Democratic ticket. Between the fiasco of our mandatory for profit healthcare system which is about to siphon what little savings I have accumulated over the last few years, and the fact that despite overwhelming support he failed to secure the nomination, I have watched as what little faith I had left in the Federal government political system evaporated.

You all can say what you want, but I've been saving for a down payment on a house for several years, I've got a good feeling that the medical industry is about to take a big wet bite out of that account, as I'm in the process of signing a bunch of medical release forms now that basically say while they're shoving medicine down my throat they can shove a big financial ________ up my _________..... yay America! :roll:

Guess the man wins again! And we'll be renters for life.... but hey... we can vote.

Where's the chair....

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Please start another thread on this topic so everyone can easily find it.

Elections and therefore votes matter and the questions that have been raised are worth discussing so look in this area for "Votes Matter."
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.